Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss

What can anyone who has one tell me about these pit controllers.  Thanks!

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited February 2014
    I don't have one but I hear that at least one of them FREAKIN ROCKS!  

I would search on FREAKIN ROCKS and you will find a recent thread that discussed the pluses and minuses of the major players.  I think it is the Pitmaster IQ120.    
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    It's still a fairly new product so there isn't much info on them out there. I maybe the only one here who has one so far and that is because they contacted me to try it out. I did an unboxing of one HERE. So far, I really like it (I'll leave the "FREAKIN ROCKS!!" to the IQ120 people). Much more so than my Auber Instruments one. More features and not only controls the temp of the pit but also monitors the temp of the meat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Thanks for the review very informative...have you used it since and what is your opinion since your article.  I would have to say that I'm on the verge between it and the Pitmaster 120.  Kind of leaning to the Flame Boss.
  • Griffin
    I've used it a number of times and very impressed with it. Does what its supposed to. I need to try it out on some really low cooks (like under 180) for sausage and stuff, but I haven't made any in awhile. The Pitmaster is cheaper, but it also doesn't have as many features, so you have to decide what you want/need.

Rowlett, Texas

• mimauler
    Thanks I believe I'll go with the Flame Boss. 
  • Griffin
    If you call in your order and talk to Michael Collins, tell him I sent ya. Don't know if it will have any impact on pricing or anything, but let him know for me. Thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

• mimauler
    I've checked with the St Louis charcoal company and I can get one for 249.00 free shipping.  Hard to beat that deal. 
  • I'm curious about the variable speed fan.
    Does it spin faster & slower as needed?
    IE; It slows when approaching set temperature?
    Or spins faster when lid open is detected?
    Thanks
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Griffin
    @Duranhler You got it exactly. Spins fast when the temp is way off and as it approaches is spins slower and cuts on and off more. When it detects that the lid is open, it cuts off and gives the Egg time to catch up on its own. With the Auber and others with no lid detection, when you open the Egg and the temp drops, the fan kicks on. When you shut the Egg, it keeps going and you end up overshooting your temp unless you unplug it and let it come back to temp by itself. major PITA.

Rowlett, Texas

• I have a Flame Boss on order. I am an industrial maintenance technician and have serviced many types of temperature controls for the 41 years I have worked in this field.  Flame Boss  has incorporated many features in their controller that I have found to be advantageous in a controller.  It uses commonly available type K thermocouples which are far more rugged than most others, in particular the RTD's which are used on the Maverick and most of us know their record with probe failure.  They are using industry standard thermocouple plugs not the little earphone jack plugs which means you can purchase probes from many sources, not just the manufacturer and if you break a wire at the plug, it can be repaired as the plugs are screwed together. As an aside, if you purchase this unit watch the orientation of the plug before inserting it.  We have had operators at work force the wide pin into the narrow receptacle and vice versa which gives an erroneous reading.  I also like the variable speed blower, not just on/off that most other controllers use.  It will give even more accurate temperature control as it learns your heat source.  If I had a further wish on this design, I would have preferred an AC powered variable speed blower for even more durability, but likely their unit will be adequate as it is not a high load application.  The other features they have designed into this unit are what I desire - open lid detection, ramp down and hold.  I do not need or want WIFI control for my cooks so that would just be an added expense I don't want to pay for.  Like all electronic devices, it must be kept dry but that is easily accomplished with a "Tupperware" style plastic box and a 90° fitting as several other people have shown in the past on this forum.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Griffin ... Thank you for the clarification. In the "Blower" section, you mentioned a new tooling for the housing. I'll assume the blower may have a new look?

bettysnephew ... Thanks for the additional info.

Sounds like this may be a winner.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bettysnephew - Flame Boss should make you a brand ambassador, and I mean that sincerely. Thanks for the great explanation of why you think they have a quality product.

I have had thoughts of a temp controller (DigiQ, CyberQ, Flame Boss) dancing like sugar plums in my head for quite some time now. I may spring for one next year. The Flame Boss does sound like a good option. I have been really thinking about a wifi controller though, Stoker vs. CyberQ.  but they are more expensive. I have a partyQ that I have barely used, and I want to use it some more before I make up my mind about a fancier pit controller.

I would have liked the Flame Boss more if the probes plugged in from the bottom instead of the top. That way the unit could be easily bagged and hung somewhere in wet weather, without worrying about water getting into the connections. But I guess a homebrewed plastic enclosure would accomplish the same thing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited February 2014
    I have a home built that I cobbled together from a salvaged controller and an old muffin fan.  It works OK but is strictly on/off as the controller only has relay contacts to operate as output.  It tends to fluctuate above/ below temp by a couple of degrees but will keep the fire hot on an over night cook.  I just liked the way Flame Boss combined a lot of good features in one control and also added a couple that should be improvements.  I have no connection to Flame Boss other than sending cash to them for a controller.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Damn....sounds like this thing....f....well you know!
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bettysnephew - I wasn't implying that you were making a vested pitch for the Flame Boss. It was meant as a compliment to you. :) Those are the type of details I would want to know about a controller, but are usually not mentioned in the specs etc. So, thanks again. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited February 2014
    Thanks @caliking I knew you were not chiding me, but I looked back at my own post and was afraid someone would think I was a shill for them.  I just like the way they did things from my experience in the packaged food industrial maintenance world.  Our operators can at times figure out ways to break anvils it would seem.  If a part can stand up to the unrelenting use that our machines endure it is an exceptional piece of equipment, hence my love of type K thermocouples.  Imagine a machine being run 24 hours a day for three weeks straight including weekends and at maximum production rate the whole time, then down for 2 days for maintenance and back on line.  That is the type of production that is done where I work.  Shutting down means having to go through a four step clean/sanitize and a total  washdown with 195° F water, both of which are required but hard on the machines.  The only immediate things I could see were as you noted to put the connections on the bottom of the unit and make it waterproof but waterproofing entails a lot of added expense that many would never need.  Overall it appears to be a respectable product that was pretty well thought out in it's design.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa