Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyers remorse ( eggcessories that are useless)

Comments

• iGrill... what a pain in the the ass piece of crap, atleast the first generation
    Pentwater, MI
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553

Thanks to the forum, I haven't bought any eggcessories I regret.

People can't seem to stop giving me sitting chicken racks as gifts. I need to start regifting I suppose, since I spatchcock chicken every time.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    iGrill... what a pain in the the ass piece of crap, atleast the first generation

I bought that twice when it went on sale and returned it both times. Bluetooth just doesn't work for me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BGE cookbook, and Lump reducing ring for XL.  both collecting dust.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I would have to say my half moon stone and grid get the least amount of use, but I still use them.

I actually like the BGE cookbook and the platesetter.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Pretty much the platesetter (not used much since AR), the Aubin controller (not needed since discovered 'turbo'), a Home Depot rib rack (not needed since AR), and a chimney starter (not needed since settling on Weber fire cubes). (I for one like the BGE ash tool but could not tell you where the cookbook ended up, it was lame.)
  • Ash removal pan...used once on the first cleanout...not since...got the bge griddle and havent used yet but I think i will...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited February 2014

I've been Egg'n since 1999, so I've accumulated a lot of 'must have,' 'might work, and  'might need' accessories, most of which were not even around in 1999, or even 2000 for that matter.  Some got pushed to the side by new products but occasionally I will see a need for one of the old products and it comes in mighty handy.  So don't throw anything away.  You may find an entirely different use for it.

One thing that has always fascinated me is how many people call the "Plate Setter" a "Place Setter."  I'm not sure why that is because neither term actually describes what it does.  I suppose you could cook something on a plate which is to be 'set' on the 'Plate Setter."  Or, tell someone that you are going to 'set' this three-legged ceramic device in 'Place,' or some variation of that.  It's not a 'fight over' issue but it is an interesting factor in our little, but fast growing, world.

Meanwhile, some years ago The Naked Whiz actually posted a good description of the proper term for it and why on his web site, which by the way, is an excellent place to learn a lot about your Egg that you would never learn on your own.  Here's his site address:

And here's what he says about the Plate Setter: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

"What Is A Plate Setter?
    The Plate Setter (note the spelling) is a tool used in ceramics to hold plates in the kiln. They can be stacked so as to hold many plates. It turns out to be one of the handiest tools we have for cooking on the Big Green Egg. There are models available for small, medium and large cookers. The plate setter for the large Big Green Egg will also work in a round Primo cooker. You can use it in two different positions, legs up and legs down. The first photo below shows the plate setter legs down ready to be used for cooking pizza. You would simply place the pizza stone on the plate setter and now you have accomplished two things. First, you have an additional layer of ceramic between the pizza and the fire which allows for better temperature regulation and fewer burned crusts. Second, you have raised the pizza stone up to the level of the opening of your cooker which allows you to use a peel to slide the pizza in and out of the cooker with ease."

I hope I don't offend anyone by pointing out this little discrepancy in an otherwise wonderful mix of terms and phrases unique to ceramic cooking, especially terms that are related directly to the Big Green Egg.

You're welcome.

Spring "Just Saying..." Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• The grill gripper. Now I just use gloves.
    Houston, TX
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701

BGE's old second level grill grate with the swing out legs.  Wobbly and just about useless since you couldn't put anything under it. 

Agreed. Though it does make for a logical place for the drip pan.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    The swing grate accessory that everyone bought last year just doesn't seem to work very well on my XL.  It droops too much and wants to fall over when the grate is swung to the side.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong with it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    @QDude The swing grate works fine on my XL, make sure the wing nut clamps are perpendicular to the grid lines. 
    canuckland
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    The stainless steel jalapeno popper rack. The holes are too small for the larger size japs that I buy. Not very expensive so no regrets for pitching it in the recycle bin.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    BGE stuffed burger press, useless item.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I just found a corn holder basket thingy and a kebab rack thingy. Never used either and they both are brand new. I could've bought a small egg with all this wasted crap
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Gezr said:
    The stainless steel jalapeno popper rack. The holes are too small for the larger size japs that I buy. Not very expensive so no regrets for pitching it in the recycle bin.
    I got one too...use it for smores...holds sugar ice cream cones pretty well.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Gezr said:
    I got one too...use it for smores...holds sugar ice cream cones pretty well.
    I did the same thing.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    ThermoWorks BlueTherm Duo probe thermometer is hands down the worst thing I have acquired.  Probe came free from wiring on third use at about 350F although it is rated to 2502F.  I thought it would be cool to cook and have my iPhone monitoring the temp with alarm set for reverse sear, etc. It has NEVER worked without a malfunction, or disconnect when synced with my phone for an entire cook.  I spoke with support and they spoke with me like I was full of bull-  Told me to ship it back at my cost and they would test it for a month and decide what they would do, but would do nothing about my probe.  

What a shame-  I am done with TW! If it was not so darn expensive, and also expensive for me to replace the probe, I would be a little less pissed.  

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    allsid said:

ThermoWorks BlueTherm Duo probe thermometer is hands down the worst thing I have acquired.  Probe came free from wiring on third use at about 350F although it is rated to 2502F.  I thought it would be cool to cook and have my iPhone monitoring the temp with alarm set for reverse sear, etc. It has NEVER worked without a malfunction, or disconnect when synced with my phone for an entire cook.  I spoke with support and they spoke with me like I was full of bull-  Told me to ship it back at my cost and they would test it for a month and decide what they would do, but would do nothing about my probe.  

What a shame-  I am done with TW! If it was not so darn expensive, and also expensive for me to replace the probe, I would be a little less pissed.  

Can I have your Thermapen????
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Plate setter for me. At all the way. Second mistake was the mavericks. They're good for about 4 cooks then unreliable.

Garnerville, NY
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    robnybbq said:
    Plate setter for me. At all the way. Second mistake was the mavericks. They're good for about 4 cooks then unreliable.
    Sounds like you got some bad ones.  I have been using mine for three years now without a problem.  Quality control seems to be suffering in every industry these days.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• grege345
    My name is greg and i have a problem. Bought these yesterday. I shouldn't be allowed to walk thru the bbq section at Home Depot. http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-876995/Sur+La+Table+Grill+Clips+

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    grege345 said:
    My name is greg and i have a problem. Bought these yesterday. I shouldn't be allowed to walk thru the bbq section at Home Depot. http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-876995/Sur+La+Table+Grill+Clips+
    LOL - I just make rafts out of mine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    @RRP will you be my sponsor? I should just return them and go with your idea.

• Half moon raised grid with drip pan, and the jalapeno holder.  Both never get used.  Even if I want stuffed jalapenos.  Both were bought when I first got my large.

I'm a little surprised at how many votes for the plate setter there were.  I use mine for any low and slows.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• QDude said:
    robnybbq said:
    Sounds like you got some bad ones.  I have been using mine for three years now without a problem.  Quality control seems to be suffering in every industry these days.
    I agree with QDude.  My Maverick works great and I have had it for 2 years.  I admit, I had to replace the probes, but that was about a month or two ago.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Lump reducing rings and cyberq wifi instead of just getting a digiq
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I never use the ash rake or "dust pan".  I lift the fire grate out and clean with a whisk broom and small dust pan.  Also do not use my rack lifter - gloves work fine.

I have a lump reducing ring and use it all the time if the cook is 3 hours or less  It has pretty much lived in my XL for the winter.  Also use my plate setter all the time, but I do not have a woo or AR.

I think I am a minimalist compared to most on this forum
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

nevr bought a platesetter so i cant complain about that :)) now i dont like the cast iron grate and my wusthoff paring knife. dont know what that paring knife is good for, have often thought to take it off the knife strip and put it by the coal bin to open bags with it to get some use out of it. the cast iron grate is just so overated

I actually use the c.i. grate all the time (it stays in my egg 99% of the time). But, I find myself using my homemade raised grid more and more. But, the versatility and temperature control provided with c.i. is hard to beat. + The 2 different sides of the c.i. grid provide different cooking surface for different types of food and I have liked my results using it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Pizza stone. We like pizza cooked at 550* in the oven just as much as the egg version. I already had tiles for the oven. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia