Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger Hog Processing Question

Options
Hello everyone! My husband, Carter, and I are planning to buy our first egg next month. Yea! We are so excited. I have been reading (lurking) here for a while and have recently registered. We are a family of 5 and are leaning toward the LGE but haven't really decided against the XLBGE yet. So if anyone has any recommendations on that we welcome them. But my real question is this: We have 2 hogs we have raised that are going to be slaughtered and processed tomorrow. We have never done this before and have no idea what cuts or what portions we want or need. My best guess for their weight is about 250-300# each. Is there anyone here that has experience and is willing to give advice to a newbie? We are hoping to use most of this pork to break in the egg :) Thank you all for the posts that I have been devouring. This place has definitely helped us decide to take the BGE plunge. Keri

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    First let me say welcome. I just joined the forum a few  days ago myself. Now to your question, Im not sure as to what you are asking. If you can be a little more specific myself or some one will be able to point you in right direction.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Im going to go ahead and take a shot at it for you. First im going to presume that you are going to take the hogs to a reputable butcher. If i am correct in this assumption then here are some choices.
    If you are wanting to do some of the work you can have cut into primals. 5 big pieces
    If you are wanting to do very little work you can have it cut into subprimals.
    If you dont want to do any of the work ask for what is called the standard family cut. Any reputable butcher will know what this is. For your info this means cutting up the entire carcass and seperating into individual cuts. If you ask for this the only questions that you will have to answer is how thick do you want this or that, do you want more loin or chop, what do you want to do with feet and head. Those sort of questions. I hope this has helped. And again welcome.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KeriCarter
    Options
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. When we go to get the hogs processed, they are going to ask me what cuts of meat we prefer, like roasts, butts, ribs and whatnot. We love pork chops and bacon, but other than that I really do not know what to ask for. I know there are different cuts for things but I don't know a spare rib from a St. Louis style honestly. The fellow I spoke to on the phone told me I needed to know what we wanted so I could fill out a form. I do appreciate your help.
  • SGH
    Options
    Again I would ask for what is called the standard family cut he will know what you are talking about. This simply means every thing will be seperated for you . It will be cut into chops, steak, loin, tenderloin, roasts, baby backs, spare ribs, boston butt, picnic, ham, belly, feet and head. Again you will only have to decide how thick you want certain things cut and what to do with certain parts. Example-Do you want sausage. You mention that you like bacon be sure to ask him to save as much off the belly as possible for this. If you keep the feet have them split them for you. I hope I have answered your questions.

Status- Standing by.

• KeriCarter
    Options
    That is very helpful, thank you. I tried google but didn't get near as good of an explanation as you gave. I appreciate your help. Now if I could just get the 2 year old to stop asking where his piggies are going :)
  • SGH
    Options
    Also when you get to the butcher I would almost be willing to bet they will have a color chart on the wall showing the whole hog, the primals, sub primals and individual pieces the sub primals can be cut into. Take a moment to look at it as it may give you some ideas. I hope this has helped and enjoy  the fresh pork!

Status- Standing by.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Thanks for the info @SGH and welcome to the both of you!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Regarding egg size, I own an XL and a medium, if you can financially afford an XL get the XL. You might not use the extra space everyday, but with a family of 5 I'm assuming you will be hosting birthday parties, BBQs, etc.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Regarding egg size, I own an XL and a medium, if you can financially afford an XL get the XL. You might not use the extra space everyday, but with a family of 5 I'm assuming you will be hosting birthday parties, BBQs, etc.
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Tbonesmokes
    Tbonesmokes Posts: 33
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I too had the same question as to how I wanted my whole hog butchered.  I found this site and it was very helpful for me. 
    www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html 
    Hope it helps you also.  I started with an XL and would not be with out it.  I have recently picked up a LG and use it when it is just the wife and I.  If I could only have one, it would be the XL.

XLBGE, LBGE, 2 Superior SS-2 gravity feed smokers;  Medford Lakes NJ
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I bought a large, and it's great, but now I wish I bought an XL.
    Cherry Hill, NJ