Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look what I found at Kroger yesterday!

Options
RAC
RAC Posts: 1,688

Brisket Point

Ricky

Boerne, TX

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Deep fry it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Will it blend?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @RAC - my local Kroger has been selling separate points and flats for a while too. Awesome - now we can buy the best part of the brisket by itself! I made burnt ends out of one some time ago since SWMBO loves them.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dammit! I can't find any part of a brisket at grocery stores here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Too bad its boneless
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Dammit! I can't find any part of a brisket at grocery stores here.
    I think you're to far North!  :D
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Two people mentioned in the burnt ends thread that there point didn't turn out too well when they cooked it.  Said they get better results with a whole packer
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Two people mentioned in the burnt ends thread that there point didn't turn out too well when they cooked it.  Said they get better results with a whole packer
    Not sure what I will do with it. I was thinking burnt ends but worst case should make some good ground hamburger

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    Options
    @cazzy - I don't disagree. But to do a whole packer, I have to wait for other mouths to feed because they're rather big. By just doing the point, SWMBO and I don't have tons of leftovers. Plus it's harder to screw up the point, but easier for me to screw up a packer!

• cazzy
    Options
    RAC said:
    cazzy said:
    Not sure what I will do with it. I was thinking burnt ends but worst case should make some good ground hamburger
    No make burnt ends.  It's $13 so it's minimal risk.  Just cause they didn't like the result, doesn't mean you wont.
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:
    @cazzy - I don't disagree. But to do a whole packer, I have to wait for other mouths to feed because they're rather big. By just doing the point, SWMBO and I don't have tons of leftovers. Plus it's harder to screw up the point, but easier for me to screw up a packer!
    I disagree.  You're assuming the point is easier to cook than a packer.  I don't think a packer is hard at all to nail.  Hit me up next packer and I'll give you my cell and walk you through it all.

Too many leftovers?  No problem since I know you sous vide.  Cut half of the flat (the end cut) up and make chop, then make 8 or 12 oz packs of chop and freeze for a later date.  Next, take half the point, and vacuum seal for a later. 

You won't lose much quality reheating brisket in your demi and it will be quick meals for later.
  • caliking
    Options
    I might take you up on that offer :) other folks like my brisket but I don't think I've nailed it yet. The flat has never quite probed like butter - a little under or a little over, just never quite bang on.

I'll try reheating the leftovers in the demi next time. Just haven't done a brisket since the demi came home. I usually make spaghetti sauce with leftover flat.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Flat = stew, chili, sammies
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice! The only points not part of a packer that I've found have been corned. Wish I could find a point by itself.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

I saw the same one but decided to leave it for you.

Spring "Leave It For The Next Person In Line" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I would not wait to long on that hunk of meat,  sell by date was two days ago.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

The 'sell by' date is probably the same day it is re-packaged as 'Wet Aged Beef Brisket."

I never could tell the difference in 'sell by' and 'cook by.'  I wish they would all say "Freeze Immediately or Cook By."  But I would still be a little suspicious, especially of hamburger meat.

Or they could add some personal information on the label, like:

"Hi. My name was Imogene Chicken until I was slaughtered and processed on February 12, 2014 at the Bigger And Better Chicken Company in Deep South, Mississippi.  I was then sent to your favorite store where you purchased me and will soon cook me according to one of your favorite recipes.  If you have no particular recipe in mind, may I suggest cutting my backbone out and cooking me on your grill.  I'm already full of flavor enhancers, complements of Bigger and Better Chicken Company, but you might add a little salt and pepper, or if you have a favorite spice rub, such as Dizzy Pig's Shakn' The Tree, you might try that.  I think you will like me even more.  Be sure to cook me thoroughly.  Bigger and Better tries to keep a clean house, but you know how that is.  There are some really nasty chickens in this world.  Enjoy me. And I'll see you in Heaven."

That would sell a lot of chickens.

Spring "Chicken Ranch Marketing Manager" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• cazzy
    Options

The 'sell by' date is probably the same day it is re-packaged as 'Wet Aged Beef Brisket."

I never could tell the difference in 'sell by' and 'cook by.'  I wish they would all say "Freeze Immediately or Cook By."  But I would still be a little suspicious, especially of hamburger meat.

Or they could add some personal information on the label, like:

"Hi. My name was Imogene Chicken until I was slaughtered and processed on February 12, 2014 at the Bigger And Better Chicken Company in Deep South, Mississippi.  I was then sent to your favorite store where you purchased me and will soon cook me according to one of your favorite recipes.  If you have no particular recipe in mind, may I suggest cutting my backbone out and cooking me on your grill.  I'm already full of flavor enhancers, complements of Bigger and Better Chicken Company, but you might add a little salt and pepper, or if you have a favorite spice rub, such as Dizzy Pig's Shakn' The Tree, you might try that.  I think you will like me even more.  Be sure to cook me thoroughly.  Bigger and Better tries to keep a clean house, but you know how that is.  There are some really nasty chickens in this world.  Enjoy me. And I'll see you in Heaven."

That would sell a lot of chickens.

Spring "Chicken Ranch Marketing Manager" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Thank you.

Spring "Sometime's Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice Is The Perfect Response" Chicken