Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Ends

I know Burnt Ends are made from the Point of the Brisket. This happens after the Point and Flat are cooked and then separated. Then the point gets cubed and goes back on the Egg for more cooking. Can I just smoke a point and make them that way? Sounds like a stupid question as I type this, but......
Thanks Guys
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014
    Are you asking if you can just cube up the point raw and toss them on the egg?  If so, i've never seen it done but wouldn't mind seeing you try.  I'm not certain the meat would break down right though.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Would the point cook like it should if I first cooked it whole, cubed it, and then put it back on for more cooking or does it need the Flat attached to it for the first part of the cook? I want to try burnt ends but I don't want to cook an entire brisket, just to then slice off the point to make Burnt Ends. Man, this sounds stupider the more I type.
    :-S
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Very difficult to find only the point for sale. If you do - buy in bulk and ship to NC please.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I was watching the Pitmasters on TV and Moe Cason cooked the entire brisket and then sliced off the burnt ends at the fat cap of the point.  Cubed the meat, put them in a baking tin,  poured BBQ sauce over them, and put then ends and the rest of the brisket back on the grill for a while longer.  They looked awesome.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BGEXL_Nick
    BGEXL_Nick Posts: 88
    edited February 2014
    I have never done it personally, but I've seen guys making burnt ends by cooking just the point.  I'd smoke it at 225 till it probes tender, then cube it and put it back on in a baking pan like @jhl192 mentioned.  I'll usually raise them temp up to 250-275 once its in the pan.  I pull them off when it looks like most of the fat has rendered out of them which takes around 2-3 hours usually.

• I have never done it personally, but I've seen guys making burnt ends by cooking just the point.  I'd smoke it at 225 till it probes tender, then cube it and put it back on in a baking pan like @jhl192 mentioned.  I'll usually raise them temp up to 250-275 once its in the pan.  I pull them off when it looks like most of the fat has rendered out of them which takes around 2-3 hours usually.
    That is what I want to do. But can I buy just the point? From jhl192 response above, it doesn't look like it. I guess I could buy the brisket, separate the point from the flat, do the burnt ends, and do the flat at a later date. Boy does that sound dumb. I could just have a brisket bash and just make sure the point gets made into burnt ends. I need to think more before I start typing.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    If I could find a point by itself, I would never even bother with a whole packer. I've seen packers and flats, but never a point for sale.
  • cazzy
    To answer your question. Yes you can do that! I personally love the point too much to cube it up and pour sauce all over it. I sometimes cut off a strip from the end cut of the point, cut them up, and enjoy the lil sugar cookies of love!
  • I see just the flats for sale around here at the grocery store so my guess is they are grinding the points up for hamburger.  I have never inquired about getting the points since their price is almost double the price per pound for a whole one at Restaurant Depot.  Its worth a shot to ask though and see. :)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I don't get why they don't sell the points.  I guess they think for most consumers (not BBQers) it would be too fatty.  

I have thought about buying a whole packer, cutting off and smoking only the point, and make corned beef from the flat.   I have this in my favorites:

If you like corned beef, I think this would work well.  Cut off the point...point goes in the smoker, flat goes in the brine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I don't get why they don't sell the points.  I guess they think for most consumers (not BBQers) it would be too fatty.  

I have thought about buying a whole packer, cutting off and smoking only the point, and make corned beef from the flat.   I have this in my favorites:

If you like corned beef, I think this would work well.  Cut off the point...point goes in the smoker, flat goes in the brine. 
    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173

I have never done it personally, but I've seen guys making burnt ends by cooking just the point.  I'd smoke it at 225 till it probes tender, then cube it and put it back on in a baking pan like @jhl192 mentioned.  I'll usually raise them temp up to 250-275 once its in the pan.  I pull them off when it looks like most of the fat has rendered out of them which takes around 2-3 hours usually.
    That is what I want to do. But can I buy just the point? From jhl192 response above, it doesn't look like it. I guess I could buy the brisket, separate the point from the flat, do the burnt ends, and do the flat at a later date. Boy does that sound dumb. I could just have a brisket bash and just make sure the point gets made into burnt ends. I need to think more before I start typing.

Ask your butcher. Last fall I bought a brisket and I'm like @cazzy in that I enjoy the point too much to make burnt ends, so I asked the butcher if they sell just the points. He grabbed a brisket and cut the point off and sold it to me. So I did the cooking math and put it in my LBGE after my full packer had been cooking. Now all that said, I didn't feel that it turned out very well. I cubed it up and all that jazz, but I just wasn't impressed with the burnt ends. I think that there is something to be said about he point being attached to the point. I don't know if all butcher shops will separate the point and sell it to you, though. I do spend quite a bit at my butcher shop, so that might have had something to do with it.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • I hope you figure it out...swmbo loves burnt ends...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Like Stoogie, I tried cooking just a point once as well and it didn't turn out so great.  My butcher shop always sells briskets together or separated but after trying only the point one time, I've gone back to doing whole packers.
  • Albertsons in Plano TX has the Point only for sale every so often.  They separate the flat and point and sell separately....normally I only see the flats but on occasion I have grabbed a point.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • I had a whole trailer load of points the other day (40,000 lbs or so). I have no idea what the end user was doing with them.
    Southern Indiana