Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pitmaster came

Options
what to cook  to break it in? Decisions ,decisions ???
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I don't know, but man....that thing looks like it FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-c
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Keep us posted
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is that a shop vac?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    say whatttttt!!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Did you take shop class in high school?
    NOLA
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Didn't everyone :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Don't let em get to ya! They will soon be the minority. :-bd
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:

I don't know, but man....that thing looks like it FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-c

Seattle, WA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase I have heard it is the "beez kneez" when it comes to controllers

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited February 2014
    Options
    At what temp would you do a small Boston butt with the pit master about 3 pounds. 200 ,300 or lower. Yes I have been egging since 85 put this is a first time with a pit 
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I would set it up for around 225 degrees. Are you going to pull it or slice it after it's cooked?
  • laserdoc85
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Chop it up. About how many hours would it take at 225
    Would you vent the top cap ( I have a (smokeware stainless) about the size of a pencil and the bottom damper on the pitmaster halfway closed,,,,or m
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I would think you'd want to hit an IT of 190. As far as time, maybe someone else will chime in. I've never tried a butt that small. I'm guessing 5 or 6 hrs maybe? IDK.
  • laserdoc85
    edited February 2014
    Options
    OK just wanted to make sure it wasn't like a all nighter with that low temp 5 or 6 I can still put it on at noon and it be done for dinner. Will rub it down with yeller mustard and then coat it with BBQ bomber rub the night before. Toss one or two chunks of pecan in and let it come up to 225 ish.What about the vents. Where should I set them?
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    even a 3 lb butt at only 225 is gonna take a while. I've never done one at that temp, but I would guess at least 6 hours, maybe more. I wouldn't wait until noon. get it on earlier and FTC if it finishes early.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Maybe 250 to 300 would be better. What's the advantage of a lower temp like in the the low 200's vs a 300 temp
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    @laserdoc85 ~ You got that PitMaster up and running yet? Good Luck with that Pork Butt!
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Going to use it in Tuesday.
    Have shrimp and bacon on a FireWire that has been in the freezer now for 4 days. Have not been home for dinner until tonight. Need to cook em
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Did my mini pork shoulder. Set the pitmaster on the #2 vent and barely cracked the top vent. Tossed a chunk of pecan and apple in the mix with the lump and fired it up. In 20 min it was stable. The shoulder weighed in at 2.4 pounds. Cooked for 4 hours at 275 ish.. Pulled it 185 IT and wrapped it in foil and it is sitting on the counter until dinner in an hour.
    Review?? ,,,,,LOVE it!!!! First time I have been able to hold my egg in the 200's !! It Rocks!!!!
    Cant wait to use it again !!!
    Buy one,Buy one, Buy one. Thanks STLcharcoal !!!!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • cazzy
    Options
    Niiiiice!  2.4lbs?  Is this a local butcher shop?  The smallest I can ever find are around 8lbs.

Also, you just described any pit controller, not just the pitmaster.  "Most" work that well!  I'm happy you picked one up cause it definitely makes things easier!
  • laserdoc85
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Got a half of hog last spring. Neighbors dad is a dairy farmer up in Wisc. Connections,connections :)
    Have about 4 or 5 more.
    I'm sure they all work the same,,,final outcome with a lot of things is the same as another brand.
    Price point was the major decision. About half of the digi Q.
    Glad I picked one up
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Wait until you do an all nighter or all day smoke and realize you don't have to constantly check your Egg ... I'm talking 12 or 15hrs cooks!

Oh, and the PitMaster is different than "all temp controllers" ; they're Prettier!!! :D
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Wait until you do an all nighter or all day smoke and realize you don't have to constantly check your Egg ... I'm talking 12 or 15hrs cooks! Oh, and the PitMaster is different than "all temp controllers" ; they're Prettier!!! :D
    Yea mine came with that pretty black hose and a copper colored face plate :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Also, you just described any pit controller, not just the pitmaster.  "Most" work that well!  
    Yes, but his does it for half the cost.  :-$
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Also, you just described any pit controller, not just the pitmaster.  "Most" work that well!  

.......... and in Style ;)
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options

cazzy said:

I get the cost is less, but I didn't consider it because I didn't like the way it looked visually. Your secret agent has people thinking it's the greatest pit controller out there. I don't believe that's the case. b-(

Best bang for your buck? I would definitely give it that title! ;)
  • laserdoc85
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Oh well,,,,,,,it does the job either  way and that's what counts anyway :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options

Oh well,,,,,,,it does the job either  way and that's what counts anyway :)

Yep!!! Congrats! Your egging world will forever be changed.

BTW, the secret agent I was referring to was RickyBobby. :P
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    cazzy said:
      I get the cost is less, but I didn't consider it because I didn't like the way it looked visually. Your secret agent has people think it's the greatest pit controller out there. I don't believe that's the case. b-( Best bang for your buck? I would definitely give it that title! ;)

So what makes the other ones so much better......besides the looks (to you)?

Like I said in another thread, you should have heard what people called my BGE and Grillery  twenty years ago before they got popular.  Same words were used to criticize Glock handguns, Robinson helicopters, etc, when they came out, but they beat their critics based on their performance and own 50%+ of the market share now......and their looks didn't change at all, people just got used to it.

I'm a dealer for the other guys as well, so I'm just curious.  I sold over a hundred Pitmasters last year--one complaint from a guy with an Akorn; one unit that had a defective probe.  Otherwise everyone was happy, 'fugly' or not.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @cazzy - re butt size, everything is bigger in Texas. Duh! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.