Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Min temp for cold smoking bacon

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
Read a few things that say cold smoking is best done between 70* and 110*. Anyone know why or what the downside of being below 70* is?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Well @Little Steven, I have researched this and believe I can answer your question. It appears that at lower temperatures the undesirable byproducts of the smoke (creosote and some others) tend to adhere more readily adhere to the meat.

Cheers

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well that makes perfect sense! Thank you @Little Steven for the information.

Much appreciated

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have cold smoked with  55 degrees in side my cabinet. Did not effect the bacon one bit. If it did I could not tell. Smoke away!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Glad you got that worked out!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Best thread ever..,,.
  • I have cold smoked with  55 degrees in side my cabinet. Did not effect the bacon one bit. If it did I could not tell. Smoke away!!
    I'm thinking I might be around 20*.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I did 20lbs 2 weeks ago at 24 degrees outside. I put a 60 watt bulb in my upright and it is the best bacon ever. Ruhlman's maple cure. Sweet.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• HDumptyEsq
    I guess you'll talk yourself in to it! :-@

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• I did 20lbs 2 weeks ago at 24 degrees outside. I put a 60 watt bulb in my upright and it is the best bacon ever. Ruhlman's maple cure. Sweet.
    That's what I'm thinking. I'll jury rig a light bulb on a dimmer so I keep in the zone

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsq
    Bon chance.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Bon chance.
    Thanks I think our high is supposed to be around 10* without the windshield.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I'd ask @LITTLE steven he's purdy smirt.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• D'ya think he'd talk to an utter Newb like me? Heard he can be an **** that way

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    Yeah, he's prolly ben drinkin by now he will talk.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• He drinks?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    Thats what @fredflintstone says.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• No wonder he has a ridiculous number of posts. Mostly drunken babble. I thought he had ADD or Tourette's syndrome or some such.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    Seems like a nice guy though. Guess ya never know. :-??

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I heard he was a Canadian. I hate them bastards with their superfluous U's and putting S's where Z's are supposed to be. I heard he's gonna be in Salado. I may slap his ass around a bit. I hear he's like 4' 11" or something like that. I know my friend Zippylip hates his guts. stike did too. Bastid!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    I hope @SPRINGCHICKEN get's pics of this.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    u havin' fun?  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• You bet!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have cold smoked bacon at air temp being 30 degrees fahrenheit with just the A-Naze-N-Smoker and the dome thermometer didn't move at all so I guess it was cold and the bacon was the best I gave ever eaten that being said I don't think temp is a issue with bacon the cure is the most important the smoke is just flavoring IMHO
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Charles,

I did mine in the cold too and it was awesome. I have been looking at a lot of charcouterie stuff and ran across this. I'm going to try a dimmed light bulb in the egg on Sunday and see if I can taste a difference and go from there. I'm thinking the pellets don't produce much creosote. Once I can get to my small egg I'm going to use that as my smoke generator and run an aluminum dryer tube to the large or my Bradley puck smoker.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Steven sounds good to me keep me posted as to how it turns out
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    @littlesteven  Given your experience and all, have you tried back bacon yet?  I just picked up a few lbs of pork loin and I'm gonna hit it with a some readycure (for covered it says 4 kg/100L which I think means 40 g/L + 6 kg/100L of salt (or 60g/L).  I have not idea how long to leave it soaking but I'm thinking a week or so.  

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  •  Got some vanilla bourbun bacon curing in the frig.
    Being in Atlanta I don't smoke when it it is in the teens outside,,,cause it never is! :)
    Today suppose to be a high of 58. Perfect cold smoking weather. Should be around the same next weekend to.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • gmac said:
    @littlesteven  Given your experience and all, have you tried back bacon yet?  I just picked up a few lbs of pork loin and I'm gonna hit it with a some readycure (for covered it says 4 kg/100L which I think means 40 g/L + 6 kg/100L of salt (or 60g/L).  I have not idea how long to leave it soaking but I'm thinking a week or so.  

I  very little experience. This batch I have coming out today is my second. Zehrs has whole loins on sale this week and I'll be picking one up today. I read some stuff yesterday and if you inject the cure it calls for a three day cure. I'll try and find the recipes I was looking at and get the links to you. It had both back bacon and "Canadian Bacon" in the same cure.

That sounds like a lot of salt but I'm not sure.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsq

Charles,

I did mine in the cold too and it was awesome. I have been looking at a lot of charcouterie stuff and ran across this. I'm going to try a dimmed light bulb in the egg on Sunday and see if I can taste a difference and go from there. I'm thinking the pellets don't produce much creosote. Once I can get to my small egg I'm going to use that as my smoke generator and run an aluminum dryer tube to the large or my Bradley puck smoker.

I used the Amaz-n-Smoker with apple wood pellets. 11 hours and rested 3 days back in vacuum packs in the fridge. (Almost) better than sex! Just sweet smoke taste and no harsh or acrid smell.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• I use a mix of cherry,maple and hickory pellets in my amaze.
    Cherry for the color and sweet hint,maple for that slight maple taste and hickory for that hickory flavor everyone loves. Perfect combination
    Jefferson .GA.