Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knock off of The Varsity chili dog sauce

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
And yet another delicious pot for future lunches. Seems hard to believe it was 12 years ago that egger Chuck Lane posted his recipe for a knock off of the sauce used on The Varsity chili dogs. I have been making it all these years since. Today this was another double batch. I measure it out in 1/2 cup pucks, then wrap and freeze them. Very handy that way when I get a hankering for a couple great chili dogs! 

BTW yes that shine in the picture shows the layer of grease which makes this sauce so darn good! After it cools I stir the grease back into the meat before packaging.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Can you share the recipe?
  • RRP
    pigoutsc said:
    Can you share the recipe?
    Will be glad to! Hopefully I can post a link to the original recipe - but if not I'll try it another way!

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Varsity like Atlanta "The Varsity"? image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    RRP said:
    pigoutsc said:
    Will be glad to! Hopefully I can post a link to the original recipe - but if not I'll try it another way!

Can't do the link thing, but here it is:
    Posted by: Chuck Lane on 2002/11/13 21:49:17
    In Reply to: Chili Dogs posted by JimW on 2002/11/13 18:01:00
    JimW,
    Here's the best I've found so far:
    1 pound ground chuck
    1 3/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons chile powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon granulated onion
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash tobasco sauce
    Put water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs!
    Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• jls9595
    Nice, thanks RRP
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Whatya have,whatya have
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great googly moogly. That looks terrific. Bookmarked!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jls9595
    So just to be clear, the meat goes in uncooked?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    jls9595 said:
    So just to be clear, the meat goes in uncooked?

Yes, uncooked and the finer you break it up as it goes in the water the better the end results. I like my hot dog sauce fine and not lumpy. Also with all those dry spices I always mix them dry real well in a bowl before dumping in the water.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited February 2014
    @RRP you just made my day! Bookmarked!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I'll be making it. There's nothing like that around these parts.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP said:
    RRP said:
    pigoutsc said:

Can't do the link thing, but here it is:
    Posted by: Chuck Lane on 2002/11/13 21:49:17
    In Reply to: Chili Dogs posted by JimW on 2002/11/13 18:01:00
    JimW,
    Here's the best I've found so far:
    1 pound ground chuck
    1 3/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons chile powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon granulated onion
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash tobasco sauce
    Put water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs!
    Regards,
    Chuck Lane

Thanks. Can't wait to try it
  • Thanks. Will definitely make up a batch.
  • Bookmarked, I love me a chilli steak from the varsity
    Could you post the onion ring recipe now?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Printed out to give it a shot. Have you tried making it on the Egg? I know its not necessary, but just for fun?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Ready to give this a try but gonna use some ground buffalo. Love chili this way and have been wanting to try to make it myself.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited February 2014
    Oooh, gonna try this. It's almost my recipe, but I brown the meat first. One thing that can help break the meat up is a meat separator. I had never seen one, but our granddaughter had one of those school fundraiser things and you bought items from a catalogue. This was one of the items we picked and it is amazing. We use it all the time. This is a link to a different brand on Amazon, but I'm sure you can get them at other places. The price on this one seems a bit high, but it gives you and idea of what they look like. http://www.amazon.com/The-Pampered-Chef-Chop-2583/dp/B0011UFPXU/

Update: Found it on the Pampered Chef site for $11.50. Link won't show up, so Google it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Sounds and looks great, appreciate the recipe.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Thanks for posting that Ron.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Definitely gonna do this. Could add a cinnamon stick and it would be really close to NuWay here in Macon. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Sounds great.  My top 3 cravings that must be satisfied monthly go in this order:  1) Wings, 2) Pizza 3) Chili Dogs.  I use an overpriced can of skyline chili for my coneys, but I will give this a try!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Got my first ones at the Atlanta Airport last year. Very good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Dredger said:
    One thing that can help break the meat up is a meat separator. I had never seen one, but our granddaughter had one of those school fundraiser things and you bought items from a catalogue. This was one of the items we picked and it is amazing. 

I discovered a year ago that my potato masher:

...works much better for breaking up ground beef/pork than the two spoons I'd been using for decades, and you probably already have one in your drawer.  
    :-bd

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thanks for the recipe. I have a batch simmering on the stove now.
  • RRP
    r2davis65 said:
    Thanks for the recipe. I have a batch simmering on the stove now.

GREAT! Now remember my advice before it is too late...I find that after it is finished I just have to taste it and taste it and taste it and the next thing I know there's only half a batch left! LOL
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Thanks RRP. Remembered we had Hebrew Nation hot dogs in the fridge and made your chili last night. The texture and flavor were fantastic.

@Botch, I used to use my potato masher too, but when the granddaughter smiles at you so sweetly and asks you to help support her school, you order from the catalogue, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Just stopped in at The Varsity last week. Love me some chili cheese dogs and a frosted orange !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    RRP, when you says measure in 1/2 pucks wrap then freeze. I'm assuming when it's cold? What do you wrap it in foil? Thanks for posting!!!!!
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Dredger said:
    @Botch, I used to use my potato masher too, but when the granddaughter smiles at you so sweetly and asks you to help support her school, you order from the catalogue, lol.

True dat!  
    ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    edited February 2014
    Timbo66 said:
    RRP, when you says measure in 1/2 pucks wrap then freeze. I'm assuming when it's cold? What do you wrap it in foil? Thanks for posting!!!!!

As it cools in the pot I keep stirring the "grease" back in to it as that liquid is saturated with all those tasty spices which make this sauce so good. By then the consistency starts to firm up. Then I tear off multiple pieces of Saran Wrap into sheets of about 7" x 12" to have them ready to work with. Then I take a small saucer and place one piece of the SW on it. Then using a measuring cup depending on my desired packaging and fill it. With a quick flip the puck comes out and then I quickly fold over the edges right and left on the narrow side and then fold the other sides. I then place all of these on a platter and then right into the freezer. BTW some people might find a half cup quantity will be better for say 3 or even 4 chili dogs so adjust to your preference. Yesterday for my double batch I ended up with 19 pucks using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Those pucks when folded ended up about 3 x 2 x 1.25.