Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can use some advice on smoking baby Back Ribs

Jug100
Jug100 Posts: 7

I have tried smoking Baby back Ribs twice and still not satisfied with the results.  I would like to start out with I do not like sweet tasting ribs.  The first time I used a rub (can’t remember the name) and they were ok, but alittle sweet.  Yesterday I used Dr. BBQ’s Rub #67.  I coated the ribs with mustard and used a generous amount of rub.  Placed them in the refrigerator for 18 hours (may be too long?) and cooked them for four hours at 275 until the internal temp reached 165.  The consistency of the meat was perfect but they were really salty.  I think I may have put too much rub on them or let them sit too long in the refrigerator.  Any thoughts?  Does anyone have a good rib rub that is not too sweet or salty?    I love me some ribs but can't get it right!  Help!!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    You have to be careful with ribs and watch your salt content as they are easy to oversalt. Chicken works the same as @henapple can confirm that a few of our wings last night were a lil too salty. Find a rub you enjoy, read the ingredients, taste it, and try it on some chicken. I personally season my ribs like I would sesson my chicken.

In regards to the temp, 165 is too low for ribs and doesn't allow all the fat to break down. In fact, put your thermapen away. Look for color, meat pull back, and Google "the bend test"
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    these were salt, pepper, herbs de province, cayenne, and a litttle sugar. building the rub from scratch on the ribs gives you the opportunity to adjust salt and sugar. if your wanting a sauce thats non sweet, maybe stubbs over most of the other options out there.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • They look great!!!  I noticed you didn't use too much seasoning.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2014

I would cut back to S&P only with or w/o mustard base doing dry ribs (no sauce at the end) and see how they were and add from there. Also recommend :

Baby Back Turbo Ribs 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    cazzy said:

In regards to the temp, 165 is too low for ribs and doesn't allow all the fat to break down. In fact, put your thermapen away. Look for color, meat pull back, and Google "the bend test"

I did my first turbo yesterday at 350 and they were on for 2.5 hours when they hit 195. I pulled them even though they were not pulled back at all. I did a bend test but wasn't sure exactly what to look for ( seemed bendy). I found them a bit tough but good. I can't see pulling them at 1:40.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I did some pork loin back ribs yesterday around 275, and they were ready in 2.5 hours.  Thermapenned at 190.  They were great, but I was surprised they cooked so fast.
    NOLA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• http://evergladesseasoning.com/shop/mesquite-cactus-dust-bbq-rub-6-oz/

This is some of the best tasting rib rub, I've found yet. You can usually pick it up at Walmart for 2.00 a bottle. Not salty, but great flavor. This is my go to rub for ribs, hands down. 

Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • Victor how long to you leave the rub on before cooking?
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have tried a few different rubs for ribs and have settled on Simply Marvelous cherry rub.  Give it a try!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I usually put this rub on, when I bring the racks out of the fridge, about 30 min prior to cook. I do put a fairly heavy coat on, I'd say 1 bottle would do about 4 racks (both sides). I let it sit long enough to see it change color to the wet look, before putting them on. 
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've started going light on the seasoning. Head Country isn't very salty.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Here's what I use as a rib rub. http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm I smoke mine with apple/ hickory for about 6 hours (250 -275) then do the bend test.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    I did two racks of baby backs yesterday and they weren't the best. I used butt rub and the car wash mike recipe. I did 3 hours at 220-240degrees. I then did another hour at 300 degrees. I then checked and did another 60 minutes at 300 degrees. Finally I put sauce on twice in the next 30 minutes. The taste was pretty good. The texture was to tuff after 5.5 hours. I had to pull them for time. I needed to do some wings at 400 so I needed the egg. The wings were awesome
    What is the texture of a rib supposed to be? I may have to add a foil step???
    Chester, MD
  • I really like the Famous Daves Rub that you can get at your grocery store. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • DIAD said:
    I did two racks of baby backs yesterday and they weren't the best. I used butt rub and the car wash mike recipe. I did 3 hours at 220-240degrees. I then did another hour at 300 degrees. I then checked and did another 60 minutes at 300 degrees. Finally I put sauce on twice in the next 30 minutes. The taste was pretty good. The texture was to tuff after 5.5 hours. I had to pull them for time. I needed to do some wings at 400 so I needed the egg. The wings were awesome What is the texture of a rib supposed to be? I may have to add a foil step???
    Gotta go to a higher grid  temp, 250* or better. Usually 4 1/2 hours for BB, maybe 5.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    pretzelb said:
    I did my first turbo yesterday at 350 and they were on for 2.5 hours when they hit 195. I pulled them even though they were not pulled back at all. I did a bend test but wasn't sure exactly what to look for ( seemed bendy). I found them a bit tough but good. I can't see pulling them at 1:40.
    350 dome? I'd check your thermometer calibration if so. They only take 90-100 minutes for me at 350.
  • I would go with Dizzy Pig Rub.  I like the fact they they aren't salt-heavy.  I was a newb and used Jack Daniels rub on my first shoulder...it was almost over salted to the point of it not being edible.  Been with Dizzy since then!

BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC