Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Started the Butt

Options
sbunker
sbunker Posts: 39
Just put 16 lbs on. Drinking beer until its safe to sleep.

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I wouldn't go to sleep until the temp has stabilized for 1/2 hour. Good luck.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • sbunker
    Options
    I wont...just drink a couple more beers. It did dive when I put the meat on....its getting back to 250 with grates set normal. I have woke up before at 4am and had to do triage. I completely cleaned it out when I replaced the gasket a couple of days ago so I should have good air flow.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Keep drinking beer until you can't see. Then go on to bed. Good luck with the butts.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Keep drinking beer until you can't see. Then go on to bed. Good luck with the butts.

+1

SWMBO wasn't happy. Ha!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • sbunker
    Options
    Well, I went out to check and I still had fire and smoke. Temp got a little warmer than I wanted. It was at 300. I guess they will have to finish at that. Its just to hard to bring the temp down 50 degrees. Butts are around 165 - 170. At least I didn't wake up to a 175 drgree egg. Been there before.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Mine did the same. I shut the bottom vent and opened the lid a little for a few seconds. Then she came right down.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • sbunker
    Options
    Yea, Its down to about 275 now. Don't really know that it matters. I don't have a timing issue. When its done it done. That's the important part.
  • sbunker
    Options
    I actually think this cook is going really well. I started with 2 Butts total 16lbs. Found a really good competition rub recipe, along with the injector recipe (I know some people say that is a waste of time) and a sauce recipe all in one place on the forums. I rubbed the butts and covered with the cheapest yellow mustard I could find. Wrapped in plastic wrap. Injected through the wrap (less messy) and put each on in a 2 gal Ziploc bag for 24 hours. Put them on last night around midnight. I'm using  BGE charcoal with apple chunks and Jack Daniels chips. I am using a drip pan filled with apple cider and one bottle of Monday Night Brewing Eye Patch Ale ( know I should be drinking it not putting it in the egg). We will see how it all turns out.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    sbunker said:
    I actually think this cook is going really well. I started with 2 Butts total 16lbs. Found a really good competition rub recipe, along with the injector recipe (I know some people say that is a waste of time) and a sauce recipe all in one place on the forums. I rubbed the butts and covered with the cheapest yellow mustard I could find. Wrapped in plastic wrap. Injected through the wrap (less messy) and put each on in a 2 gal Ziploc bag for 24 hours. Put them on last night around midnight. I'm using  BGE charcoal with apple chunks and Jack Daniels chips. I am using a drip pan filled with apple cider and one bottle of Monday Night Brewing Eye Patch Ale ( know I should be drinking it not putting it in the egg). We will see how it all turns out.  
    It all sounds great.  Ok, so you already know you should have drank the beer...but c'mon!  it's one thing to put a cheap beer in the drip pan, but for heavens sake don't waste good beer! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sbunker
    Options
    I know, Its funny, I have it backwards, I was drinking Bud Black Crown and putting the Eye Patch in the egg. I sure hope the pork is enjoying it.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Hahahaha. Almost like misreading the internal temp and freaking out only to find out all was ok. I just had a heart attack.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • sbunker
    Options
    192 & 191   Temp is getting there.
  • sbunker
    Options
    I think im stalled at these temps. I need have this stuff somewhere by 4:00.