Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Beer again...pic thread!!!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cookinbob said:

I'm a home brewer.  On tap right now is Synchronicity (Wheaten Saison recipe from Northern Brewer) and Cookinbobs own Vanilla Porter.  On the left are two slabs of bacon waiting to meet the slicer, below the keg is my stash of smoked cheese which is aging.  Cookinbob has his own refrigerator!

Third person Jimmy likes Cookinbob's setup, Cookinbob!

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    What a nice citrus flavour and beautiful head this has:) Love Muskoka beer!!
    I drank so much Mad Tom on vacation last year that when I judged the Ontario and Canadian brewing awards I could pick it out instantly. It's one of my favourites and one of the few beer I will buy. Have you tried Winter Beard Chocolate Cranberry Stout from Muskoka? It's amazingly good if you like imperial stout styles. Right now I have a lager, an American Pale Ale and a saison on tap. Need to brew some English IPA this weekend. Here's a few of the fallen soldiers from my wife's work Christmas party that just happened on the weekend (yes, late). We hosted the after dinner portion but she made the boss buy all the beer.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    tjosborne said:
    BREWnQ said:
    Kegged a DIPA last night will take the first pull after work this evening.  This weekend I drank Lagunitas Sucks and gaaaddaammnnn thats good beer.
    Where was mine at? Would love to try some. Anyway heres what I have in bottles, and then Stone's Arrogant Bastard and SNPA on tap
    Something went horribly wrong. Don't know if it got infected or didn't finish or what but I've got 5 gal of junk.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    BREWnQ said:
    tjosborne said:
    BREWnQ said:
    Kegged a DIPA last night will take the first pull after work this evening.  This weekend I drank Lagunitas Sucks and gaaaddaammnnn thats good beer.
    Where was mine at? Would love to try some. Anyway heres what I have in bottles, and then Stone's Arrogant Bastard and SNPA on tap
    Something went horribly wrong. Don't know if it got infected or didn't finish or what but I've got 5 gal of junk.
    If you have extra kegs set it aside a few months and let it age. What was wrong with it? Ya I had a few batch drainpours, it sucks forty or fifty dollars down the tub.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • BREWnQ
    I'm not sure what happened. Just taste funky. Don't have any beer pro friends to tell me what they think is wrong. My worst batch to date.
    Orange, CA
  • tjosborne
    @BREWnQ does it taste soapy? It means it sat on old yeast and hops too long. Or cardboard, you oxidized it. You go on homebrewtalk? They know everything, but that's all I know. 
  • BREWnQ
    Don't know I've got the wife trying to figure out what it smells/taste like. Smells sweet and just taste gross unexplainable. I agree with sweet smell and taste I may bring it up to temp and repitch. Can't search HBtalk because I really can't explain what it's like.
    Orange, CA
  • tjosborne
    Well what was the OG? and did you use a yeast starter? How long did you let it ferment and did you transfer to a secondary or leave it in primary? Did you do hydrometer test readings to see if it reached FG? Is this your recipe or a kit? Ill try to help if I can, Im no brewmaster though.
  • BREWnQ
    Was using some online brew software and lost all my notes. Think OG was 18° and FG was 8° so I guess it finished. Don't know where the sweet smell is coming from. Primary 13 days, crash 3, secondary 8. Had to have gotten infected in secondary smelled good going into secondary smelled bad coming out. Used a brand new bucket probably didn't was it as well as I should have.
    Orange, CA
  • tjosborne
    Ya I don't know. I was always told forget the secondary and leave it in primary 3 weeks then let it age another 3 in keg or bottle. One more chance of infection during the transfer. Did u soak the bucket in starsan or iodophor? Other than that let it sit, just hope it turns out for you.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @Cookinbob how do you like the Northern Brewer beers? I'm going to brew their Bourbon Barrel Porter on Friday. My plan is to leave it in bottles and not try it till Thanksgiving. Heard this one really needs time to age and mellow out. The longer the better. Although I'm sure I'll try some before then.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    BREWnQ said:
    I'm not sure what happened. Just taste funky. Don't have any beer pro friends to tell me what they think is wrong. My worst batch to date.
    If you share the recipe, I know a beer pro who would give some insight.
    Griffin said:
    @Cookinbob how do you like the Northern Brewer beers? I'm going to brew their Bourbon Barrel Porter on Friday. My plan is to leave it in bottles and not try it till Thanksgiving. Heard this one really needs time to age and mellow out. The longer the better. Although I'm sure I'll try some before then.
    I do like Northern Brewers kits, though these days I usually download the recipe and buy the ingredients locally.  Cost the same or a little less when you factor in shipping.  With that said, their extract price by the case is tough to beat even with shipping, I will buy a case of X light or light for the summer brews - I am an extract brewer.

I have looked at the BB Porter recipe and it looks great.  I never have the foresight to brew that far ahead - I brewed my winter porter in October!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    BYS1981 said:
    Here are a few I've had this week.
    Is the Heretic one of the Stone speciality brews?  I have a few of those in the fridge (I think two of them are Crime and Punishment).
    NOLA
  • Griffin
    New one for me. Ignore that yeast starter in the background. Got the day off tomorrow, temps in the 70's, think it will be a great day to brew outside for the first time.image

Rowlett, Texas

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    buzd504 said:

BYS1981 said:

Here are a few I've had this week.

Is the Heretic one of the Stone speciality brews?  I have a few of those in the fridge (I think two of them are Crime and Punishment).

No, Heretic is a separate brewery from stone. They're out of Fairfield, CA.
  • Griffin
    @Cookinbob that's a great idea. I started comparing prices on exact items from them and my local home brew store (5miles away) and my store beats them on price without even considering shipping.

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    FOUNDERS PORTER - had a craving.  Terrible pic of the bottle but great shot of my new fuzzy grilling partner in the back . . . Harvey!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited February 2014
    Why can't I post pics?..? Kegging 3 this weekend and hoping to brew 15 gals of English IPA if I can shake this terrible cold.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Love la fin du monde NDG where you get the glass?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • BREWnQ
    Drinking strong red ale at a little brewery near work.
    Orange, CA
  • One of these beauties.image

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Home brewer here also. Just put on a Belgian Dubbel after finishing up a colonial porter. Have a nice black IPA in the wings naturally carbing. On the other tap is 2012 American oak aged apple cyser.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • CANMAN1976
    My new favorite and some bottled moose!!

• CANMAN1976
    Better pic!

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Griffin said:
    @Cookinbob that's a great idea. I started comparing prices on exact items from them and my local home brew store (5miles away) and my store beats them on price without even considering shipping.

Not only that, it feels good to support the small local business. I'd be lost if I couldn't run there on a Sunday and grab hops, yeast, bottles etc
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Tonight I had a knee deep simtra.
  • One of these beauties.image

Another I wana try to tick off my list, along with two hearted.

• YEMTrey said:
    I had a couple "new to me" beers this weekend that were really good:
    And

These too, major hophead here. If its hoppy Im happy.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @tjosborne, do you ever get any 120 minute IPA out your way?