Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braised beef shin in Dutch Oven

Options
Hi, planning on cooking a beef shin in a new Dutch oven this week. Recipe calls for 12 hours at 70 c. Anyone got any tips or advice ? Use Plate setter or directly on grid?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Something is wrong here 70*C is like 160*F isn't it? That is way low for a braise. That is too low for a confit even. In fact you will need to cook at 300*F + to get a simmer. I use the platesetter with spacers for all stews and braises to avoid scorching on the bottom from the radiant heat of the lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TheCheesestall
    Options
    Thanks Steve. Temp quoted is for a regular oven so not sure if I need to increase it. Only invested in Egg about six months ago so still learning!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'll look it up but you would have the same situation in a regular oven. I do confit between 190* and 200*f and I guess 170* would cook it but it wouldn't be a braise per se.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    OK, I looked at 5 recipes for beef shin and the oven temps are all 190C to 200C. That was two from OZ and 3 from GB. In the British Commonwealth, with the exception of Canada, the term shin means shank regardless of whether it is whole or not. I've done lots of Osso Bucco on the egg at 325*F.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TheCheesestall
    Options
    Steve, communicated with recipe author today and I am going to go for about 300f . Will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.