Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Temperature question

jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
Cooked my first two Spatchcock Chickens last night.  370 degrees on the raised grid AR for just over an hour.  Cooked one with Weber Kick Chicken rub and one with DizzyPig Tsunami Spin.  One chicken was a couple pounds heavier than the other and took bit longer.  (BTW the wife really liked the DP Tsunami Spin over the Kicken Chicken).  

Question is this.  When the breast IT hit 160 the thigh IT was 198.  The taste was great and it was plenty juicy.  I have heard the thigh internal temperature should be 185.  Is there a way to raise or lower the grid or tie the chicken to get closer to the 185 when the breast hits 160?  Would cooking at 350 give me a closer delta?  
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• What I try to do is start the fire in the back of the egg.  Then make sure the back end of the birds point that way.  I cook them on the grid (not raised) at 350-360 dome for about 1 hour 15 mins.  The temp of the breast hits 165 and thigh about 180ish about the same time.  Always juicy and crispy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Since you have the AR, put your round stock grid on top to raise it higher than you show. I agree with placing the legs towards the back and I cook at 400 direct.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.