Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go to Boston Butt time and temp?

Options
Hi All!

I'm attempting my first Boston Butt this weekend and I wanted to see if there is a "Go To" recipe for time and temp? 

I guess I am looking for something like the Car Wash Mike or 3-2-1 method... But for a Boston Butt. Does this exist?

I have an 8 LB bone in boston butt and I'm trying to serve it around 6PM on Sunday.

Any and all help and guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

JG

Comments

• mbhutton
    Options
    I cook at a temp of 248 and cook the butt to a internal temp of 198. Seams to work for me.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Just cook to temp.  I usually shoot for a grid temp. of 225-250, but sometimes it gets a little hotter. It's done when its done, I go to 195-200 IT, measured not too close to the bone as that will be hotter.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hot n fast. 350 till 195 and probes like buttah. Rub with Bad Byron's Butt Rub. You will average about 45min per pound.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JGambone
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    Just cook to temp.  I usually shoot for a grid temp. of 225-250, but sometimes it gets a little hotter. It's done when its done, I go to 195-200 IT, measured not too close to the bone as that will be hotter.
    So if I'm looking to serve around 5PM, what time would you recommend I put it on the BGE?
  • jls9595
    Options
    JGambone said:
    jls9595 said:
    So if I'm looking to serve around 5PM, what time would you recommend I put it on the BGE?
    general rule is 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours per pound, I would plan on finishing early and foil, towel, cooler until 5pm just incase it goes longer.  I have had an 8 pounder go 16 hours before and I've had a 10 pounder finish in 13 hours before.  Both at avg 250 degrees cook temp.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    I have kept one hot for as long as 5 hours in FTC before pulling apart and serving.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    250 for about 2 hours a pound  I would put it in at midnight.  If  it hits 200 before 5:45 wrap it in tin foil and then a towel and put it in a cooler.  If its getting close to 6 and its still in the 175 degree range kick the heat up to 350 until it hits 200.  Good luck.     .  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    @mattman3969, agreed - turbo! 8lbs is perfect for turbo.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    General rule of thumb for me is to give 2 hrs per pound of meat p,us 2-3 hours for safe measure. If it finishes early, double wrap in HD foil, double wrap i. Towels and throw in cooler, It'll still burn your fingers 5 hours later.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590