Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Pan for Mad Max Turkey

What kind of roasting pan are you using for your Mad Max turkey? Went to Bed Bath and Beyond this evening and they have pans ranging from 15-100+ dollars. Was going to settle for an inexpensive one but then saw it was not to be used on an electric or gas oven. So that got me to thinking I better do a little research on best material for the Egg and the stove top.

Any ideas?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Cheap disposable pan from Walmart
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Be really careful with that. I think Max used a disposable aluminum pan. I have one with offset handles that works but I have had to cut the handles off some other ones I bought.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    I don't think he does use a disposable pan according to the pics....but no description. If I understand correctly, once you remove the turkey and pour the juice out of the roasting pan, you use that same pan on the stove top to make the gravy. So I don't think a disposable pan is an option.
  • DMW
    tdub4 said:

I don't think he does use a disposable pan according to the pics....but no description. If I understand correctly, once you remove the turkey and pour the juice out of the roasting pan, you use that same pan on the stove top to make the gravy. So I don't think a disposable pan is an option.

Yep, I did it with a disposable, and the ridges in the bottom were a pain when doing the gravy. Ended up pouring everything in a CI skillet to do the gravy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tdub4
    edited November 2013
    @DMW so did you just scrape everything out of the disposable and start the gravy process in the other pan or did you start in the disposable and finish in the other? Since I havent done this yet, I am trying to visualize what you ended up with in the pan once you poured the juice out.. Looking at Mad Max website it appears the left over "stuff" in the bottom of his pan plays a key role in the gravy.

I am going to do a test run this Saturday myself
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    One thing that helps with the disposable pan is your oven, if you have space. Take your deglazing agent and pour it in the pan as the turkey comes off. The residual heat will warm it up and your oven will most likely be around 325-350. Put the pan in the oven until it starts
    bubbling and the fond will be much easier to scrape up.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    What device is a non gas/electric safe roasting pan supposed to be used in? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tdub4
    edited November 2013

caliking said:

I guess the oven...but good point! Maybe too thin on the bottom to take the direct heat from the stove top??
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    tdub4 said:

caliking said:

I guess the oven...but good point! Maybe too thin on the bottom to take the direct heat from the stove top??

Yup. Most pans are not stove top safe. You really need a thicker stainless steel pan for that.
  • I remember seeing a post where he said he used an old aluminum roasting pan, not disposable.  I bought this roaster this year.  A little spendy but seems to fit nicely.  http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Multi-Roaster-including/dp/B0000DDT7I
  • DMW
    tdub4 said:
    @DMW so did you just scrape everything out of the disposable and start the gravy process in the other pan or did you start in the disposable and finish in the other? Since I havent done this yet, I am trying to visualize what you ended up with in the pan once you poured the juice out.. Looking at Mad Max website it appears the left over "stuff" in the bottom of his pan plays a key role in the gravy.

I am going to do a test run this Saturday myself
    Started in the disposable and once it seemed like nothing else was going to lift off, moved to the other pan.

I really like the tip from @Eggcelsior on deglazing in the oven for a bit. Might give that a try.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• I have used my SS roasting pan, my mother's old "granite ware" roaster, the vertical roaster and disposable Al pan. Like the granite ware or the vertical roaster the best, but throwaway pan requires no cleaning.. Be aware throwaway is flimsy, pick up the filled pan with care.
    I don't use a rack either, I use the veggies as a rack for the turkey.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • EOD
    EOD Posts: 5
    I used this pan from Target, $25.  Fits perfect in the egg and it fit an 15 pound bird just fine.  I did have to cut the handles off the pan with a  grinder, but who needs those anyway....

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    edited January 2014
    We somehow ended up with few old black enameled roasting pans that came with ovens, their shallow side makes them ideal for roasting in the egg, you don't want deep side that restricts air flow around the bottom.  I had to make sure to pick one that fits between the Large's platesetter legs ... it's now a no brainer space-wise with my XL.  Cleaning is never a problem after soaking in the laundry tub for a couple of days. 
    canuckland
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    EOD said:
    I used this pan from Target, $25.  Fits perfect in the egg and it fit an 15 pound bird just fine.  I did have to cut the handles off the pan with a  grinder, but who needs those anyway....

Target sells a lot of good stuff man!!  Nice find!  

If only I can get them to stop giving away my credit card and personal information away for free.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....