Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Rubs - Impressions?

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So far I've liked all the DP I've tried. Right now Raging River is going quickly here, on chicken and fish, kids love it. For beef stews and chili type, burgers, Cow Lick is my go to.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Swamp Venom, Raising the Steaks and Raging River are my three favorites.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I'm a big fan of DD rubs, partly because as others have said, they are less salty than most others which we prefer.  My favorite so far is Swamp Venom, but don't use it as much as I'd like because of the rest of the family.  Also love Cow Lick on steaks and burgers.  Dizzy Dust and Raging River have gotten good reviews here also.   I really want to try Jamaican Firewalk.

My problem with the DD line is only one place anywhere near me (within less than 45 min-1 hour) carries it and their selection is very slim.  And the shipping rates are far too high to justify ordering online for an already pretty expensive line of rubs.  I've been using more and more other rubs lately just because of this reason. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• AmericanFlannel
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Pineapple Head on a shoulder to make pulled pork. So tasty and everyone raves when I do it.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have a 15 pound full packer brisket in the refrig covered with course grind dizzy dust wrapped in plastic for the night.  Going on at 10:00 Thursday morning for a cookoff at work at 11:00 AM Friday.  Every time I take one into work, it is gone in less than 10 minutes.  I use pineapple head on Maker's Mark soaked pineapple rings that grill up really nice and tasty.  Cow lick is great too.  I do put on a lot.  Maybe you aren't using enough?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Dizzy Pig and Oakridge BBQ here.  I'm trying to figure out this Bad Byron's.  I put it on like I do DP and Oakridge and that stuff is way to salty for my taste. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I am a huge fan of most Dizzy Pig rubs but I have to agree with your wife about tsunami spin...  Try Raging river on chicken breasts or wings and you will understand.  We use it on everything...

Options
    I go heavy on Raising the Steaks, Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin for (Spatchcock Chicken)  Strangely enough, Raising the Steaks is also great on chicken.  I've been feeling a little low - at first I thought it was because the GFU was away this week.  After 3 sessions with my analysts, I've come to realize that I haven't bought anything since the Lodge Combo last week.  I needs me some pineapple head and some red eye at a minimum.  My last order from DP, in spite of the high shipping prices on their site, they fit everything in a flat rate box, and credited me the difference (all done without any input from me).  Good folks, great rubs!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Retail Therapy!!  It is done.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. It's given me some more ideas and options.

Doing burgers tonight, so I'll try the suggestions for that.I'll try the RR again on my next spatchcock, I'll just have to go heavy on it. I guess I'm used to other rubs, and not putting so much on to make sure it's not too salty. I will admit, I do like the the taste of the rubs by themselves, I guess I just haven't really had a good coat on it, and really pack it on. 
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

The key is to bypass the holes in the lid and use the pour spout on the other side.  It takes some experimentation to get it exactly right, but honestly, you can't really mess it up.  If you pour out too much, just spread it around a little.  Enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I love Raging River on Chicken Wings, I put 3 tbsp on 2 lbs of wings and add 2 tbsp of corn starch
    Just got some Shaking the Tree I want to try on wings too!
    Love Cow Lick and Raising the Steaks on Beef
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We like Dizzy Pig

Especially Cowlick on steaks/burgers.

Garnerville, NY
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    Ok, made burgers last night, with Cow Lick, I accidentally spilled a lot on the burger and thought it would be ruined b/c there was so much on there....turned out excellent. Guess I may have just been using too little?? I'm gonna try Ragin River fairly heavy on some chicken this weekend, we'll see how that turns out.

Glad it turned out so good. Looking forward to more surprises :-)
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    It's all I buy. I actually convinced the place I bought my egg from to start carrying the entire line, and they did.

The glazed salmon is the best thing I make simply because I use raging river. Outstanding stuff.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Forgot to add that I bought and used the curry blend.... AWESOME. However, my house stunk for two weeks, so it is only an outside rub from now on.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Im a big fan of the Dizzy Pig rubs !!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • KielbasyKing
    Options
    Dizzy Pig and Oakridge BBQ here.  I'm trying to figure out this Bad Byron's.  I put it on like I do DP and Oakridge and that stuff is way to salty for my taste. 
    Big Fan of the DP rubs as well and have been using them for years!  I like the Bad Byron's in certain instances and I think he also graduated from the CIA, which is premiere culinary school in the world and certainly understands the science behind certain mixtures.
    When you have to shoot...shoot....don't talk!
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    I am a big fan of Dizzy, especially RedEye Express. It's good on just about all meat, IMO. RR is also great on Salmon. Dizzy Dust is really good on pork, Raising the Steaks on burgers, meatloaf, steaks. I really like Swamp Venom on my wings.

The key is like many have said, use a lot of it.. seasoning burns/cooks off during the cooking process.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Dizzy Dust - most used for spatchcock chicken and pork butts

Tsumani Spin - Wings

Salt Lick Dry Rub - Fajitas (not Dizzy, Austin, TX)

Cow Lick Dry Rub - burgers, steaks (minimal a la salt and pepper)

New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I'm personally a pretty big fan of DP. When I first got my egg I received all the rubs they made at the time as a gift so I used them almost exclusively. Now I like playing around with other rubs and making my own. However I still keep 4-5 of them around. I don't really like tsunami spin though. Just a little to subtle for my pallet.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You want Dizzy Pig Rub Impressions?
    "I'm sorry, I don't do impressions... my training is in psychiatry"
    :)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I've never tried it, buy locally and really don't like having to pay twice the price of other rubs.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Rebelst8 said:
    I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong? They seem to be too subtle of flavors, but again, I don't know if I'm not putting enough on, or if I'm putting too much. 

For instance: How heavy do you cover boneless skinless chicken breasts? The chicken always turns out great, but flavor always depends on the rub or marinade, and DP seems to be on the shortlist of what my wife doesn't like. 
    Here's a good example from the Dizzy Pig site.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    I've found you have to go heavy with Dizzy Pig products which we love and buy regularly! We love our beef heavily coated in Red Eye Express! Raging River, Jamaican Firewalk, and Swamp Venom are faves as well! You gotta go heavy though because they make it so you have to go through it quickly then buy more! Great marketing plan IMHO!
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    I've never tried it, buy locally and really don't like having to pay twice the price of other rubs.  
    I do buy locally, I happen to live within 10 minutes of dizzy pig and that's who I bought my egg from :) 

They are not a faceless massive corporation, they are really great people. 
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    It's true DP does a good job marketing to the BGE community, and that may be some of the reason it is so popular. But I think the Jamaican Firewalk is superb on spatchcock chicken.
    LBGE
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Thanks RRP. I am a relative noob.
    LBGE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

DocWonmug said:
    It's true DP does a good job marketing to the BGE community, and that may be some of the reason it is so popular.Perhaps some history would be of interest here. Way back in 2000 when I first became an egger and joined the original forum Chris was already there and he used to share his rub formulations. He was very creative and developed a following of eggheads. I printed out many of them and used to mix them myself based on his detailed formulas. I forget exactly when and who it was but somebody whispered in his ear that he had a knack and to quit giving away his formulations! Slowly thereafter Chris started Dizzy Pig  and built it into the brand that it is today. Besides producing the DP products he also has a BGE dealership and has years of success on the national BBQ circuit. You might say some of us grew up watching Chris/Dizzy Pig turn into an American success story! 
    Not bragging, but I attended Chris' competition school last November.  In April he contacted me and invited me to join the team to cook in the Royal in KC, which I jumped at.  What an experience!!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE