Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Egg Cart

Started the build on the Eggcessories cart this afternoon.  I got the idea from @tdub4 and @Solon005 from the Eggcessories Cart post.

Building mine all from Cedar.  2x4 construction with 1x6 floor and 1x6 T&G sides.  Total width is 32"x32".  Planning on putting on a 34"x34" top.  Currently 32" tall without the top and casters.  I may have to lower that

Some how the measurements and calculations got off and I ended up a 2x4 and 1x4 short.  Also need to find hardware for the handle and hinges.  I'm still working on the top.  The granite guys around here want $270-360 for a piece with rolled and polished edges depending on the color.  Not sure I want to put out that kind of $$.  Thinking about calling the sheet metal shop to see what a Sainless top might run me.
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Ill be keepin an eye on this one. Looks great so far
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Keep us "posted". Looks like a good start.

Opelika, Alabama
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    edited January 2014
    Did some more work this afternoon. Had to make a town run with wife and JR so I got the rest of the lumber (2x4, 1x4, T&G 1x6), wheels and hinges and more torque screws. Got the floor finished, doors built but not attached and changed out the Phillis heads I used yesterday to match the torque heads. Word to the wise, when you go back to the lumber yard, remember what bin you got the 2x4s out of. The first batch were rough cut cedar for fence. Forgot that and just grabbed a S4 on my way through. 1/4" difference. Didn't notice till after the first cut was made. No photos today. Is is JR's 2nd Birthday so I only worked while he napped. Hope to get more done tomorrow when the in-laws come over. Oh, I do have a photo of the 7lb brisket I started tonight before bed. Hope to pull before church in the AM. Foil and cooler and slice after.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Nice job. With regards to the granite on mine, I found someone on Craigslist with granite remnants that was willing to do it for $150. I was limited on what colors but price was better than all the others and the color he had worked out.

Post more when you get em!
  • tkleager
    tdub, what did you use to seal the wood?  I'm in a debate of what I want to use.  I don't really want to stain it.  I'm not going to sand it down, keep more with a rustic look
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    @tkleager We used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane
  • tkleager
    Got some work on the cart done yesterday AM.
    Hardware on, doors hung and now all we need is some urethane and a top.

The first picture shows an idea I'm toying with.  I went to the lumbar yard that has the granite I want to use on Friday and asked to look through the scrap bin.  Found a piece that is 29"x33"  Smaller than I want.  Ideal would be a full piece at 34"x34" but I may have to take what I can get.  The idea now would be to take a 2x6 and make a frame around the top that would allow for 29"x29".  This would give me an overhang on each side, and the granite in the middle.  Then I only have to pay to have them cut down that piece one time to 29"x29".

Or do I just bide my time and see if a piece comes available?
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • tkleager
    @Solson005 - On your cedar top, did you glue it together to make a solid top, or did you put it down like a deck?

I found a beautiful piece of granite, but they are still wanting close to $400 for it.  They would still have to cut it down to 34x34, round and polish the corners and edges.  So I'm thinking about doing the Cedar top.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • tkleager
    Got some time today to get the pieces cut for the top of the egg cart. Going with a cedar 2x4 top until I can afford granite or something else. 34" long gives me 1-3/8 over hang on the edges. Front will have 1/2" over hang with it being flush in the back. This will save me having to rip down a small piece just to make it over hang. Got 40 dowel holes to get drilled, pinned and glued, then secured down to the cart.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • tkleager
    So up till yesterday the egg cart has sat in the garage in various states of sealer.  I went with Helmspar for just a natural look.  Never did get any pictures with the top on and sealed.

About two weeks ago, my old man asked if I was still looking for granite for my egg cart.  Yes, it was my material of choice, but I just couldn't afford it.  He said that he has something for me in the back of his truck.  I tried to look at it that night, but couldn't really see it in the dark light and the bad flashlight.  The story is that a local contractor had dumped this off at my dad's company to have it run through the rock crusher.  Dad just couldn't see doing that to this piece.
    Yes, that is my broken plate setter.  Jr picked it up and dropped it.  I was mad, but I can't stay too mad at him.
    The green is a perfect match for the green of the egg.  When it is polished up it is going to pop.

The only issue that I ran into is that the piece is two narrow to cover my cart.  Two inches short.  What to do...
    Go back to one of my ideas from January.  So on Sat afternoon I listened to the Huskers, and put my idea in to play.
    Frame in the top with some more 2x4's.  Then install some bracing inside the frame to support the granite.  Because the granite is only 1-1/8" thick, I had to do a bit of a custom fit with it.
    Pretty impressed with the way it turned out.  Took out the belt sander to level things down and smooth it out yesterday, and had time to get a coat of Helmspar on it.
    Now to get the granite down to someone that can cut it to size for me.  25x26 is what it came to inside.  Going to have them take an 1/8th off each side so we have some wiggle room.  Will silicone the space between to help with moisture and food particles, and we should be set.

Eggheads Everywhere Map