Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large egg, 10 people, 10 steaks

Not sure how I'm going to go about this.  Birthday boy has requested steak.  Usually only do 2-3 steaks at a time.  Ideally would love to cook all at once so everyone eats at the same time, but don't see that happening unless I light the gasser and use it alongside the egg.  Just trying to plan my attack, figure out how to handle cooking that quantity while providing a properly cooked steak.

Maybe cook all the steaks indirect on the egg, and sear on the gasser's side burner with a cast iron skillet?

Comments

• That or do them all on the egg. Possibly do a reverse sear. Cook all the steaks at a lower temp, remove and cover in foil. Crank up the temp on the egg and sear as many at a time as you can then cover those and finish the rest up. It won't take long to do it that way, the other steaks should be fine? if you want maybe try putting them in the warming drawer of your oven if you have one. Just my idea, I'm sure others might have a better plan of attack
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That sounds solid to me. Especially since you are likely to find different doneness preferences. The ones that like their meat more well-done can go indirect longer.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    It's possible.  :D

Granted, I had two eggs but you can certainly do it with one.  Sear em first of reverse sear and put them on a cookie sheet with foil.  Either way, it's all possible on one egg.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Are you cooking them all to the same level of doneness?  If not, alter this method by putting the doner (is that a word) steaks on earlier in the roasting phase.

Sear them 90sec (1/4 turn at 45 sec for grillmarks) on each side at 600 in batches of 2 or 3, whatever will fit, and take each batch off the egg after the sear.  Let them all rest for 10-15 minutes.  Meanwhile, cool the dome to 400, insert platesetter legs up, then put all the steaks on, stacked if necessary and roast until IT reaches desired temp. 
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Two Words:
    sous vide

Freezer - un seasoned for about 30 minutes so the edges don't pinch when you seal the steak. Vacuum seal each steak. Into the sous vide for 2-3 hours at 130. Get the egg ready for searing around the time you want to serve. Pat each steak dry as you remove from bag and season with salt and pepper (or with your seasoning of choice) and sear for 45 seconds or so each side.

Perfect every time.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512

Two Words:
    sous vide

Freezer - un seasoned for about 30 minutes so the edges don't pinch when you seal the steak. Vacuum seal each steak. Into the sous vide for 2-3 hours at 130. Get the egg ready for searing around the time you want to serve. Pat each steak dry as you remove from bag and season with salt and pepper (or with your seasoning of choice) and sear for 45 seconds or so each side.

Perfect every time.
    +1 - This is what I would do as well.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014

Two Words:
    sous vide

Perfect every time.
    It's unlikely he has a Sous Vide and I don't see him running out to get one.  He could however do the hot tub method in a cooler.  Many have hot tubbed successfully so it's certainly an option.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Haha, I was actually just showing SWMBO the Anova the other day.
  • 10 gallon orange Home Depot water cooler - fill with 130 degree tap water...put the steaks in...screw the top on - check every hour and top with hot water as needed.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Prime rib. ..problem solved.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    And a thumbs up!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    +1 on sous vide/hot tub @130. It would also give you consistency even though your steaks will be of various thickness and size.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    I'd forget the sous vide and the reverse sear.  TRex those bad boys.  Sear them all at 600+.  Work in 2 batches if you need to.  Rest them for 15 minutes.  Switch to indirect and roast to desired doneness.  Can't fit them in a single layer?  Double them up.  It's nothing that a little imagination can't accomplish.  But for God's sake, don't put them on the gasser!
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:

Dat ain't steak, dog.
  • henapple
    Yeah...but that dog will hunt.
  • Eggcelsior
    As long as you cut it into steaks first.
  • henapple
    No
  • Eggcelsior
    You are quite the Tyler, The Creator fan.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think your idea of reverse sear on the egg+ finish on the CI skillet would work.  I suppose you could also just sear them on the gasser if it will get hot enough for you.  I don't think there is any shame in that :). Honestly for the short time it is over the flame I don't think it really makes much of a difference.  It will get most of the flavor in the meat during the roast.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.