Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket and XL BGE

what size Rutland gasket needs to be bought for my dads XLBGE? He bought an 84" but has done some research saying he needs to compress it... so he's a bit worried that its the wrong size.

any experience with this? thanks in advance

Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i think you need about 9 feet but not 100 percent sure 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't know, but 84 is what you need for a large if he's compressing it. You could always email RRP through greeneggers. He's been selling them for years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    There is an explanation Ron did on sizing, compressing and marking the gasket on TNW's site

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    RRP has this down to a science  -- sold "at cost" well over 800 gasket kits.  He has sold me three of them, and after installing them according to his included instructions i had to trim about an inch off of the end for it to match up to the other end of the gasket.  Another advantage is the cushioning effect the Rutland has due to it's thickness.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2013
    84" is not long enough to do it in one piece.   I used 94" on my XL.  You can't get one that long in a kit.  Do what Charlie tuna says and get it from RRP "on the other forum".  Also, make sure you don't use the "adhesive" that comes in the Rutland kit, use Permatex Ultra Copper -- you can get it at any auto store for $6.00 or so.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP has this down to a science  -- sold "at cost" well over 800 gasket kits.  He has sold me three of them, and after installing them according to his included instructions i had to trim about an inch off of the end for it to match up to the other end of the gasket.  Another advantage is the cushioning effect the Rutland has due to it's thickness.
    Yeah but watch what happens if you don't pay him! My wife wasn't in the office to do a US cheque for him and he had already talked to Vito and Rocky about breaking my legs

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    edited June 2013
    @ChokeOnSmoke why not use what comes in the kit ? isn't that good up to 2000 degree's
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2013
    bigphil said:
    @ChokeOnSmoke why not use what comes in the kit ? isn't that good up to 2000 degree's
    I've seen tons of reviews over the years and many said not to use it.  Stike had the best argument why not to use it:

"it's water based.  the ceramic sucks the water out, and can cause it to eventually cleave off in one piece.  it's designed for steel, which doesn't draw out the water (and being water based, it's required for the cure). the permatex is 'only' rated to 700, but your rim never gets to 700 anyway.  it is pretty viscous, and sticks perfectly."
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Have Rutland's with Ultra Copper on all four of my eggs.  Purchased every one of them from RRP, cut to length and ready to go.  The Ultra Copper has held up to pizza cooks and a couple cleaning burns that buried my 1000* TEL-TRU. 

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • chukknob
    chukknob Posts: 10
    I have one installed with the factory glue that comes in the box for two years. It's holding up fine. As long as the adhesive is fresh in the container I don't see why it can't be used long term. My 2 cents.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BOWHUNR said:
    Have Rutland's with Ultra Copper on all four of my eggs.  Purchased every one of them from RRP, cut to length and ready to go.  The Ultra Copper has held up to pizza cooks and a couple cleaning burns that buried my 1000* TEL-TRU. 

Mike
      Mike, bought mine on Amazon, but same stuff everywhere.  I did the exactly thang on my medium about a month ago.  Solid install, feel like it'll last for years.
    @ChokeOnSmoke guess I'll find out I used the black Rutland adhesive set really fast . I guess if it peels off I'll use the permatex next time . Lesson learned . Thanks
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Can someone post a link so I can find rrp? I need a gasket.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Ron Pratt hangs out at the www.greeneggers.com forum.  If you post there, he will contact you.
    The Naked Whiz
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I bought 9' for my XL. I can vouch for the Rutland cement not working. I used the Rutland cement to attach a nomex gasket. It fell off in the middle of a pizza cook and burned in half. Nomex is great, but can't withstand sitting in a charcoal inferno. After the nomex burned off I put on a Rutland with permatex. Use the 3m sanding disc attached to your drill to clean the rim. It works great. The naked Whiz's site has great instructions. I used a sawzall blade to spread the permatex.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    May be I'll be okay my large is mostly used for low and slow and cooks at 450 and below my XL does all the pizza and high temp cooks .if not I now know better for the next time .
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I don't understand using permatex to attach something else.. It's already a gasket by itself. Why the need for more gasket?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777

I don't understand using permatex to attach something else.. It's already a gasket by itself. Why the need for more gasket?
    Permatex can be used as an adhesive or a gasket maker.  Some folks do use it to actually make a gasket.  I have a web page about doing that.  But I would say it is easier to use it as an adhesive to glue some rutland on that to go through the process of making a gasket.
    The Naked Whiz
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2013
    I read some where Rutland gaskets should not be used around food. There was a post on this forum about it. I was going to buy one until I read the post. I went with nomex. link here Rutland

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Finished cleaning the base of my XL Egg tonight.  Gonna put the Rutland on in the morning.  The Pumice stone that Ron suggested worked like a charm.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bigphil
    bigphil said:
    May be I'll be okay my large is mostly used for low and slow and cooks at 450 and below my XL does all the pizza and high temp cooks .if not I now know better for the next time .
    Next time is here less than a month . i wasn't okay did a rib cook yesterday and this morning opened my LBGE and the gasket fell off .My LBGE doesn't see over 400/450 and hasn't seen that temp since i installed the gasket luckily it came off in one piece and the rutland glue flaked off the gasket . off to pep boys for some permatex 
  • Gents, 

I have a Large BGE than I am getting ready to install a Rutland Gasket on according the the instructions on The NakedWhiz. I have Stove Cement that came with the gasket and Permtex Ultra Copper Silicone Sealant. I am planning to use the Permatex. It will be 30F and sunny today. Can I install it in that weather? My lid and base are clean (3M wheel and pumice stone rock). 

Thanks!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited January 2014
    Gents, 

I have a Large BGE than I am getting ready to install a Rutland Gasket on according the the instructions on The NakedWhiz. I have Stove Cement that came with the gasket and Permtex Ultra Copper Silicone Sealant. I am planning to use the Permatex. It will be 30F and sunny today. Can I install it in that weather? My lid and base are clean (3M wheel and pumice stone rock). 

Thanks!

I posed the curing question to the manufacturer of Permatex Ultra Copper and their technical reply was that yes you can apply it at temperatures between 20 and 30F though the ideal temperature is between 50 and 80F. Silicones such as Permatex are moisture cured so temperatures above and below these ranges remove that element. Curing occurs in 24 hours. If you are able to warm surfaces to at least the 40 to 50F range that will help for better bonding across the surfaces.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • What do you think about starting a low fire to cure per NakedWhiz instructions for gasket install using Rutland cement?

• RRP
    edited January 2014
    What do you think about starting a low fire to cure per NakedWhiz instructions for gasket install using Rutland cement?

I'd rather have had a low fire in the first place to get the ceramic warmed up before application. Of course that means you should have cleaned your old gasket off first. I also recommend you keep the Permatex inside before application. A firs then after application is ok but don't plan to cut the 24 hours short as with heat or not it needs 24 hours to properly cure. BTW those instructions you are reading on TNW site are summarized from my written instructions...yup, I'm the same RRP
  • Awesome...thanks.  I should have warmed up the BGE I think, but its done.  Its siting outside in 27F cold dry air and will cure 3-days before I need to cook.  Lid is stilll off 'cuz Permatex is still a little moist.  Planning a maybe a 1-2 hour low fire Friday, empty.  Then planning to smoke this weekend.  Got a little Permatex on the inside of the egg, but I assume it'll burn off.
  • RRP
    When you get some Permatex slopped inside or out your best bet is to leave it alone - Do NOT try to wipe it off - let it cure and then using a sharp blade trim it off. While some may have penetrated the ceramic pores that won't be an issue but smearing when it was wet just spreads it. Now if there are any loose "hairs" on the gasket just take your butane fire starter and they will burn off. I am curious though why you left the dome open? With it closed while curing you have a uniform pressure which eliminates any hills.