Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vitamix? anyone have one and what do you do with it?

Just bought one at costco for my wife. It's a very interesting machine.
  Just wondering if any one else is using one.

Comments

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    My wife and I were thinking of buying one, but were dissuaded by the price--even at Costco.  Curious to hear your thoughts on it.  Is it that much better than a standard blender or juicer?  What exactly does it do to warrant the price tag?
    Southern California
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Have had one for 5 yrs......Love it.  Had burned through a couple blenders prior to that.  I don't use it very much; but when I do, there's nothing it can't handle.  I use it mainly for smoothies.  I swear it could puree a brick if it had to. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    bicktrav said:

My wife and I were thinking of buying one, but were dissuaded by the price--even at Costco.  Curious to hear your thoughts on it.  Is it that much better than a standard blender or juicer?  What exactly does it do to warrant the price tag?

I have a Blendtec. Yes, they are absolutely better than standard blenders/juicers. They are both made in the USA and are much more robust than a standard blender, all metal drive etc. can put anything in it and it blends with ease. I don't have to peel anything. It spins so fast so that the friction can make hot foods like soup.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I also have a Blendtec. Don't use it as much as thought I might, but have been happy when I've used it. As above, smoothies and instant soups are a button push. If you have a decent strainer, you can make any kind of "V-8" juice you like. When I first had it, I was making lots of peanut butter for my wife, who eats PB on her breakfast muffins. While I could make fancier butters, she's happy w. just commercial brands, which are always cheaper than from whole peanuts. Still, I make some unusual nut and seed butters.

Made some really smooth hummus. Apple and pear butter. Tried meat pate's a couple of times. Made some whole grain flour from raw wheat berries. Came across a recipe that called for 2 C of onion water. Tossed a few onions into the blendtec, and then the results into a strainer. After a few minutes, had the cup of onion juice I needed.

The down side is that I have a hard time not reducing things to pureés or dust. Hard to make stuff w. anything other than fine texture.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    We've had ours for 3 years. We use it at least twice a day, often more, to make protein smoothies. I use it for sauces and marinades. Best investment we've made in a long time.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Use ours a decent amount. If you bought the 5200 model from Costco watch for when they have the in store presentation they bring in the new 6300 model for $100 more and it has preset programs to make different things you don't have to manually adjust the speed and its much quieter. We use ours for soups, smoothies, salsa alot, and have made all sorts of other things. I got the dry foods canister Friday and we are making a vegan sweet potato sesame pizza crust today.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    We love ours. It's way better than any blender I've had. We have the dry blade that we make our own flour with. Haven't bought flour at the store for a while!
    Dunedin, FL
  • We looked at them yesterday at Costco. It's on our list to buy soon. They made a smoothie that was awesome.
    I can guarantee you that smoothie had more fruit in it than I've had to eat in years. I just don't eat fruit.
    We were both impressed but I buy with cash only so I'd guess in a couple weeks we'll have one.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Yes I have a blend tec and it's amazing . It's the big green egg of blenders
    Toronto
  • Have had mine going on 5 years. Does anything I ask: soup, sauces, smoothies, ice cream, etc.
  • we have had one 5 or 6 years and it still runs like new mostly make smoothies.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    bought one 1.5 yr ago, should have bought one 30 yr ago, would have been perfect for making baby food and kids' treats too.
    canuckland
  • I've had the Professional 750 for about a year now. It has the short wide container instead of tall and thin. I use it daily and wouldn't sell it for the price I paid.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Canugghead
    Anyone knows if the new short wide containers will fit the older base?
    canuckland
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    edited January 2014
    Bought a 750 for my wife. I actually got a refurb and it came with a 5 year warranty that they extended to 6 years cause I bought it through a guy named "henry pj" who does come catchy Youtube vids - very entertaining. While I got it direct from Vitamix, I mention his distributor number for a discount and some extras. First - made in USA and pricey. Second - refurb looked like new and comes with all new container, cookbook, etc. Third., this runs so smooth. and as example, does a great job on stuff like blueberries that tend to leave a lot of little particles. Yes - expensive. Oh.. we have big green eggs, right? So far, impressed.

I believe the new containers will fit old base.
  • Yeah we have one and use it all the time
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    We have had ours for over two years. The thing is AWSOME. Not sure what the price is at Costco but ours came from bed bath and beyond. I was able to use a rack of gift cards and a 20% off coupon, it is regular $500 minus the coupon it was $400 plus tax. Using my gift cards I came out of pocket a whole $15 to get the vitamix. Again it is a large upfront cost but will be worth it in the end. I used it a lot this summer turning the tomatoes from the garden into homemade sauce. Best thing was I did not peel any of the tomatoes, they went in whole and came out smooth. You will not regret it if you buy it.
  • Lit
    Costco is $375 for the 5200 model and $499 for the 6300 model.
  • Use it to make soups, sauces, smoothies and just about anything that needs to be pureed.  Since I received the Vitamix  have not used the food mill.  It has become a work horse in our kitchen.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I have the Vita Prep 3 commercial model. Best blender. No problems at all in 2 years. Use it for smoothies, almond butter, pesto, and occasional soups or sauces. 3 HP motor will take down anything you throw at it.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't own one and can't imagine what I would do with it if I did. I had a blender for about 30 years. Finally tossed it cuz I never used it. No way I would spend $4-500 on another one - no matter how heavy duty it is. I could buy another blender for $40. If it broke, I could buy 9 more before I spent Vitamix money.

I do have an old food mill I picked up at an antique shop for 10 bucks or so. Use it once in a while. I've never even SEEN a smoothie. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I don't own one and can't imagine what I would do with it if I did. I had a blender for about 30 years. Finally tossed it cuz I never used it. No way I would spend $4-500 on another one - no matter how heavy duty it is. I could buy another blender for $40. If it broke, I could buy 9 more before I spent Vitamix money.

I do have an old food mill I picked up at an antique shop for 10 bucks or so. Use it once in a while. I've never even SEEN a smoothie. 
    If you want to know how restaurants get their margaritas so smooth, these blenders are why.

My biggest reason for getting one was to make baby food for my daughter. I received a baby food maker as a gift with the first kid and it was a horrible pain in the ass. The other cool thing for me is the ability to make my own flours. Pays for itself right there.
  • I have started to notice that the cooking shows usually have these when a "blender" is used.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    2 kids never had one jar of baby food.
    Made oat flour waffles today.
    Smoothies, humus, almond butter.
    Our blendtec is 5 yrs old still going strong.
    Seattle, WA
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Had ours for over 5 years. Lately I've been using it daily for fruit smoothies at breakfast. Also, very important....it does an incredible job for frozen margaritas!

Enjoy
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Were on our second one. First one lasted 22 years, we bought it in a demo-haze at the Western Washington State Fair (the "Puyallup" as its known regionally) and recently replaced it with a fresh model. Vita Mix gave us a $100 trade-in for it! Smoothies mostly, shakes, margaritas, and salsas. Its pretty basic, but the 7 year warranty speaks volumes for the product. Numerically this should be the last one I ever own....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Have one and love it. Grew up with my parents having one of the old stainless models. They still have it and it still works. I make great hummus (sesame seeds instead of pre-made tahini), fruit smoothies, great milkshakes, frozen margaritas, soups and gravies.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm sipping on a smoothie right now. So good, even when my wife starts putting vegetables in them, they still taste sweet and fruity. Great for baby foods as mentioned, though we bought ours too late for that. Oh well, it'll be great for putting pizza and pulled pork in an IV bag when I can't eat when I'm old.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Canugghead
    @Eggcelsior @SkinnyV @yzzi +1 on baby food, that's why I wish we had one 30 years ago!  around that time Braun came out with the first immersible stick blender and it was sold out for months... it was the next best thing for baby food.
    canuckland
  • Lit

We make frozen drinks to take to the lake/pool in the summer. I would drop the $500 again just for these. This thing makes them so smooth there's not even a sign of a chunk. A friend of mine has the fancy ninja with 2 blades and I tried to make them at their house and the ninja isn't even in the same league there was still noticeable ice in the drinks.