Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frozen egg ?

Options
thought this may help a few .  i've seen a few ask how to do this 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Gotta love Fred, but that's an awfully messy way to unfreeze the Egg.  A couple of oil soaked paper towels, lit and in through the bottom vent, works just as well, and if you have lump left in the Egg, you'll also start the lump and be ready to cook in no time. 
    Options
    When you say through the bottom vent do you mean somehow get it up into the charcoal or just leave it in the bottom where the ash is.

You would not believe the mess I made getting mine open the other day.
    Let's say snow shovels were involved.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Strips of foil between base and dome prevents it pretty nice. Maybe too late for that now but I learned that lesson the hard way too.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Just thought I would add that it was 71°F when I was running some errands earlier  :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    When you say through the bottom vent do you mean somehow get it up into the charcoal or just leave it in the bottom where the ash is.

You would not believe the mess I made getting mine open the other day.
    Let's say snow shovels were involved.

Just light it and stick it in the bottom vent where the ash is. When I want to light my Egg and get it to high temp real fast, I do it this way. 2 or 3 paper towels soaked in oil (I keep a container of presoaked paper towels - much less messy and more convenient) lit and in thru the bottom vent, no daisy wheel, and I can get the Egg to 500 in less than 10 minutes. Just be careful of flashback when opening. Make sure you burp.
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @Tjcoley yes you do but i think he did it that way more for the show and fun of it he did say you could do it at the bottom by tossing the cube in 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    @bigphil don't get me wrong, I love Fred's videos, as well as his store. If I tried it that way I'd probably burn my house down.
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @Tjcoley you and me both lol . have you tried his tree hugger seasoning btw . its great on veggies and on pizza 

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I saw this yesterday too. It does seem like a messy way to unfreeze the egg. As for Fred's rubs, I'm a big fan of his burger Meister rub
    Mark Annville, PA