Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib bone out

Options
lrkay19
lrkay19 Posts: 15

I'm doing a Prime Rib eye Roast, Need help with time its about 8Lb, also do you need to tie this kind of roast.

Thanks

Comments

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    I did one about 5.5 lbs. This was bone in though. Seared at 500 indirect for 25 minutes then finished as close to 200 I could get it. Took about 4.5 hours overall. Pulled at 135. It was amazing.
    Not sure about tying the boneless one.
  • lrkay19
    Options

Ok thanks

Did you keep it on while you were ramping down to 200, that had to take  awhile .Or did you pull it and put it back on when temp got to 200.

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    I have two eggs so didn't have that problem. I have seen a lot of recommendations for a reverse sear on these. Cook low until almost done. Pull it and ramp up to 500 for the sear.
  • lrkay19
    Options

Yes I have read that I think I'm going to try it sound fun.

Thanks a lot and happy grilling.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

@s_austin_egger is right.  Most people reverse sear. It is easier to heat up an egg than to cool it down.

Tying it to make it as round as possible gets it cooked more uniformly so more of it will be medium rare - or whatever you are shooting for.  Not everyone does it - but that is the idea behind it.

Searing is optional depending on how you want the outside.  The best prime rib I ever cooked I got distracted and overshot the temp such that it reached my target temp during the initial lower temp part of the cook - so I just didn't sear it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lrkay19
    Options

Thanks, time to light my best friend, and give it hell, I do a lot of butts and shoulders, so this shorter cooking time has me a little off, pulling at 120 will be different. if it looks good I may skip reverse sear. we'll have to see.

Thanks

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    Once the length of the roast gets beyond the radius of the roast, the cooking time is around a constant.  It cooks from all sides-I generally figure around 20-25 mins/# at 250*F or so on the dome.  Here's a great link on the topic:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html lots of good recipes and info on the rest of his site as well.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.