Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS

Options
So I'm new to the BGE.  I just purchased my first, an XL, and have been browsing around the forums trying to figure out what eggcessories I need.  I bought the package deal to start and have added the cover, grate-grabber, and shovel so far.  I am planning on getting the Thermapen and AR with either a spider or Woo2.  Anyways, too my point.  I jumped on to the CGS website again to look at the prices and noticed that they have just opened a store.  "Sure would be nice if they opened a store in my town," I thought.  Then I saw where the store is.  "Oh, wait," I said, "that is my town!"  Score!
Justin in Denton, TX

Comments

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Then I realized, "Oh, wait, now I'm really going to be broke."
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And you have the right approach  ..."my first".  You may live to regret where you live :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Lucky you.  Just remember, you can't take it with you.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Since you are new to the EGG world I would advise you fight to urge to buy all the toys now.  As long as you have a platesetter, Pizza stone and a CI grate, I would work with those a while until you figure out what you enjoy most and what you really want to accomplish.  EGGing is a lot lot everything else,  there are a thousand ways to skin a cat.  Everyone develops their own approach and technique.  This forum will let you know what all of your options are.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    buy everything now !!!
    Toronto
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome. I would second jh192's advise. Use for a while and then determine what your needs are.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO you do not need a platesetter or CI grate. I think just a bad way to spend $$$$$$$$
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Welcome and first get the Thermapen Digi-Camo with U.S. Flag.

$9 donation will go to the Semper Fi Fund for injured Marines.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Mickey why do you say no need for a plate setter  ? ?
    How would you do indirect cooking without it  ? ?
    Toronto
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    ar or a spider with a pizza stone.....does the same as a plate setter...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    yogi84 said:
    ar or a spider with a pizza stone.....does the same as a plate setter...
    if no platesetter, he will need the spider and two pizza stones to bake bread or pizza. One for indirect, the other for the the pizza.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey why do you say no need for a plate setter  ? ?
    How would you do indirect cooking without it  ? ?

This is an oval stone for ribs or pizza sitting on the adj rig. Or I use my round stone on my spider. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm still missing something. Without an AR, how would I get the grid to gasket level if using just a spider and stone? Bricks?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pantsypants
    Options
    thanks mickey
    Toronto
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2014
    Options

I bought my XL just before memorial day 13. I have spent a ton of money on eccessories since then. But it has been a wonderful journey. The pay off is when SWMBO's family comes over and says, WE LOVE YOUR FOOD!!!" Then i go and by more stuff to expand my cooking potential. 

Get the AR. you will love it. 

Hang on and enjoy the ride. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Welcome from another Dentonite.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Firstly - Welcome!

Secondly - just wait.. you're about to find out what broke really is. Buying the egg itself is not as pricey as all the toys you are about to accumulate :) As someone said above, get a few cooks under your belt to figure out what eggcessories you want. On the other hand, buy what you can now, then when it shows up just tell SWMBO that "it came with the egg". 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I just got a price on that fancy BGE table for the XL. $4k!!!! SWMBO asked if it cooked food and had an endless supply of beer in the cupboard.
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    This thread really has me thinking what my total egg investment has been. Quick math told me to stop counting and start cooking more. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I've been Egging for 12 years and I STILL get all excited by new gadgets, set-ups, and inventions! Whoever said, "You can't take it with you" is spot on, and you pass it on to family forever more.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've been Egging for 12 years and I STILL get all excited by new gadgets, set-ups, and inventions! Whoever said, "You can't take it with you" is spot on, and you pass it on to family forever more.

Good morning Love. L and I discovered a little Greek place in Georgetown, Texas and think of you every time we go there.

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Mickey said:
    IMO you do not need a platesetter or CI grate. I think just a bad way to spend $$$$$$$$
    Platesetter was essentially free.  Given the price of the nest and shelves, I basically paid nothing for the rest of the accessories I got in the package.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    caliking said:
    Firstly - Welcome!

Secondly - just wait.. you're about to find out what broke really is. Buying the egg itself is not as pricey as all the toys you are about to accumulate :) As someone said above, get a few cooks under your belt to figure out what eggcessories you want. On the other hand, buy what you can now, then when it shows up just tell SWMBO that "it came with the egg". 
    I like that idea.  Too bad she already knows what came with it!  I do plan on waiting a little while before purchasing any more eggcessories.  I have a large cook-out coming up in April, but won't need much more than what I already have until then.  Right now I have a little cash left, so I'm debating using it for an AR now or a Shun knife and getting the AR in April.  Probably won't be doing any cooks larger than two briskets or pork butts before April, though the AR would come in handy for ribs (I do have a V rack that would get the job done for the time being).
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Platesetter was essentially free.  Given the price of the nest and shelves, I basically paid nothing for the rest of the accessories I got in the package.
    No matter how you look at it, you did pay for the plate setter. My wife claims the same thing with buy one get one free shoes. lol

I 100% agree with Mickey. The XL PS is a beast and because of it's size takes care not to break it or at least snap off a leg. Also much harder to store it safely. The Adjustable Rig with a drip pan and a pizza stone is the way to go. The cost of a Plate Setter would cover a good chunk of the Rig.
    You are so close, just go by and visit Tom. He will never talk you into buying more than you want or need. 

PS...don't leave w/o buying a bag of the lump in the red bag. I will not mention the name on this forum. Wait until you see the XL next to BIG JOE in his store, even funnier.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I would be DOOMED!!!!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    Firstly - Welcome!

I like that idea.  Too bad she already knows what came with it!  I do plan on waiting a little while before purchasing any more eggcessories.  I have a large cook-out coming up in April, but won't need much more than what I already have until then.  Right now I have a little cash left, so I'm debating using it for an AR now or a Shun knife and getting the AR in April.  Probably won't be doing any cooks larger than two briskets or pork butts before April, though the AR would come in handy for ribs (I do have a V rack that would get the job done for the time being).

I can tell you for a fact that the adj rig will make you a better cook than the knife (I have 2 AR's and one of the knives). Use them so much one would not work with two Larges. And I cook less than almost anyone on the forum indirect. Would also like to invite you to Salado EggFest Mar 15th ( bring your kilt).

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am not in the camp that you don't need a plate setter. I love my plate setters and use them frequently even though I own about everything the ceramic grill store sells. I have a plate setter for my mini, small, large and XL and I have a mini and small woo and spider for my large and the XL woo and XL and large AR. On the XL I use the plate setter in the fire ring grooves legs up thenk grate then AR on top of the grate and you can put 8 racks of ribs laying flat on. Get the Adjustable rig with oval rack and woo. The woo is nice to have to raise the grate to the felt line but not essential.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    No matter how you look at it, you did pay for the plate setter. My wife claims the same thing with buy one get one free shoes. lol

Hate to disagree with you, but I will :P.  It literally would have cost me more money to buy the other accessories individually without the PS than it cost to buy the package with the PS.  They would not offer a discounted package without the PS.  Hence, the PS was free (actually, they paid me to take one off their hands if you think about it).
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I didn't see the part about a shun knife. If you can't properly sharpen a knife or if you don't know where to get it sharpened regularly a good knife is pointless. Your better to get a $50 king 1000/6000 whet stone and learn to sharpen your current knives than wasting money on a shun that will be dull in 2 months of decent use.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:

I am not in the camp that you don't need a plate setter. I love my plate setters and use them frequently even though I own about everything the ceramic grill store sells. I have a plate setter for my mini, small, large and XL and I have a mini and small woo and spider for my large and the XL woo and XL and large AR. On the XL I use the plate setter in the fire ring grooves legs up thenk grate then AR on top of the grate and you can put 8 racks of ribs laying flat on. Get the Adjustable rig with oval rack and woo. The woo is nice to have to raise the grate to the felt line but not essential.

@Lit Do you use the platesetter along with Woo on your small?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker