Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV lobster tail with oil

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Had to cook a couple of lobster tails tonight since I didn't want to freeze them. I've tried the "dwell in the shell" method before, so I wanted to try something new. The tails were a hair over 8oz each. 

Started by making the lobster oil. Shelled the the tails, heated up a cup of olive oil and let them shells saute/simmer in the oil. Then added fennel bulb, onions (didn't have shallots), garlic, fennel seed, peppercorns, thyme, salt, tarragon, rosemary, and a little tomato paste. Found the recipe on the interwebs. Its supposed to infuse for 12 hrs after cooling. but I had to make do with an hour once it cooled. 

Lobster tails went in the sous vide for 45min @ 140°F, with pats of butter in the bag. 

Plated:

Turned out pretty good, but not as good as the lamb chops I did recently. The capers cut the richness of the lobster oil nicely. I like my lobster a bit more on the medium side, so next time I may leave it in the bath for 1 hr if the tails are this size. The time and temp would have probably been okay if the tails were a bit smaller. 

Pregger SWMBO was pleased, so that's what counts :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments