Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke in garage

Options
Winter sucks in ct, been workin on a good setup for garage. But between the high top propane heater and twoeggs going it would get a little smokey. A friend of mine that owns a hvac company and he made me a hood with a fan that solved the problem. Here's some pics

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    The pics!
    Dunedin, FL
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    For some reason there not loading
  • jscarfo
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That's pretty sweet.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    yzzi said:
    That's pretty sweet.
    My sentiments exactly!  I hope you have a Carbon Moe detector in there just to be safe though!  do you have a door open?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Yea happy with it no more smoke or fumes now I know it's a hangover next day
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Make sure you provide a way to "make up" fresh air for what you are exhausting. Crack the door or window a bit.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I need one of those babies inside the house! :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Yea keep door open half way
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I know this will sound like a wet blanket but I hope you have hard wired CO2 and fire detector alarms inside your home for safety sake PLUS you let your home owner's insurance company know this! I believe that Dizzy Pig's Chris lost his home due to an ember that popped out of his egg while grilling in his garage. You can flame me if you wish, but some other eggers may not have a HVAC buddy to do professional work like you did and will try to just wing something by themselves!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Yea safety first it's a detached garage and have a co detector
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RRP, I was cooking in the driveway 10 feet from my garage and an ember blew into the garage and burned down the house. Just wanted to clear that up. Cooking IN the garage is a bit more of a risk ;)

The screens that have come out since then help a great deal. But my comfort level has changed for sure. If I cooked in the garage, I would be there every second there was a fire in the cooker.

It sure happens fast. 

The exhaust system looks great. Safe cookin!!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

RRP, I was cooking in the driveway 10 feet from my garage and an ember blew into the garage and burned down the house. Just wanted to clear that up. Cooking IN the garage is a bit more of a risk ;)

The screens that have come out since then help a great deal. But my comfort level has changed for sure. If I cooked in the garage, I would be there every second there was a fire in the cooker.

It sure happens fast. 

The exhaust system looks great. Safe cookin!!
    Chris

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris! BTW HappY New Year to you, buddy! I still buy your rubs like crazy, but fro my dealer Hearth & Patio in Peoria, IL. I feel that way I am supporting BOTH of you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yep Ron. Whoever you buy it from, it's all good. Much appreciate.

BTW, on the safety issue, a lot of restaurants use Eggs inside under hoods, and many folks on their screened porches and decks. Being aware and supervising is the key! I was inside for 15 minutes when that ember blew out….and it was windy. 

Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Make sure you provide a way to "make up" fresh air for what you are exhausting. Crack the door or window a bit.
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose (i.e. all that make up air is COLD) and running the exhaust fan would just turn the garage into outside temp?  I'm not saying allowing air to replace the expelled air isn't a good idea (or necessary)...just questioning whether you'd actually be gaining anything by doing this (unless you're avoiding the rain or snow).
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Where in Ct?…  Just curious-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Loosemoose
    Options
    njl said:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose (i.e. all that make up air is COLD) and running the exhaust fan would just turn the garage into outside temp?  I'm not saying allowing air to replace the expelled air isn't a good idea (or necessary)...just questioning whether you'd actually be gaining anything by doing this (unless you're avoiding the rain or snow).

Necessary is the correct word. You need oxygen to burn the egg and his heater. I don't know how "tight" the garage is but it could become an issue I'd guess.
    BTW I have worked as an HVAC service tech for over 20 years and I'm not saying this wont work but it does throw up red flags to me.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • jscarfo
    Options
    We use the fan on smokey cooks like wings, were always right there and with back door open the temp in garage is not freezing with heat on. Any long cooks are done outside
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    You should be fine jscarfo, enjoy the new setup.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I like it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Carbon monoxide (CO) can be a silent, odorless, colorless killer so be careful. Not trying to rain on your parade, but folks here are just trying to watch out for fellow eggheads. 

But that is a nifty setup! Nice to have buddies like that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2014
    Options
    In a commercial hood the make up air is like a non powered vent that provides fresh air above the appliance, the negative pressure from the exhaust causes the fresh air flow. The idea of this is to minimize exhausting heated or air conditioned air. I am sure if you have a window open near the hood you would have a similar effect.

Gerhard
  • jscarfo
    Options
    No we're properly ventilated thanks for all the concern I hope to be egging for many more years
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Notify the Fire Department :), I would hate to have them come racing in with axes and hoses.
    True story my Dad vented the dryer at the house through a staircase in the breezeway. Yup, Fire Department showed up, scared my Mom. 
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks