Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper

Options
I've been looking for unbleached butcher paper all over the place and can't seem to find it.  I want to try wrapping a brisket with it.  I can find it on Amazon as "Kraft" paper.  Is it the same stuff?  It doesn't say anything about being food grade.  Any suggestions?
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    If you buy your meat at a grocery store....ask the butcher for enough paper to wrap it...GL
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    Sams club is where I buy mine aboy $15 a roll. Its also at Resyaurant Depot.
    That's the only way I wrap my briskets and butts. Doesnt steam inside lime foil, and hold all the liquid.
  • jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Options
    I know this is an old post but not a bunch on this topic.
    Why would you not want to use Kraft. (Other then you hate the Patriots) That is just a brand that makes all kinds of paper products. This one is food grade, FDA approved, non waxed or filmed...  any reason not to buy it?
    https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Smoking-Unbleached-DIY-Crew/dp/B0743HNK3W/ref=asc_df_B0743HNK3W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198105129559&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2340537179866036462&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027629&hvtargid=pla-360304195384&psc=1
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    edited February 2019
    Options
    That is the same thing, Kraft 175 foot roll, just sold by someome else, tenderllouises. check out my link, cheaper and 25 feet more.  Well actually your link is 24 inches wide and mine is 18 inches wide but it is the same paper. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This stuff works just fine for me, I think in the past some “kraft” papers were generic and not necessarily good for smoking.  If the company selling it is a legit US company then I’d hope their claims of FDA approved etc are accurate.  Then again...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776JH663/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://domesticfirst.com/search/?q=Butcher+paper+
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I see there are links to both 18" and 24" sizes above.  I would recommend going with 24".  My two cents.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Skip the 18" and get the 24". Easier to wrap a brisket. Here's what I get in 24" x 150'. Don't just look at the price, look at the paper weight (thickness). You want thicker paper so it holds up to all the grease but not too thick. 40 lb paper works great, some go a little lighter. 
    https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiQm9GYx9bgAhXdTA0KHYknBLIYABAPGgJxYg&sig=AOD64_2Bb1HmBeYcW8eTjI-IMtGIv6nSJw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwigx8OYx9bgAhVBheAKHbewBXwQwg96BAgLEA8&adurl=
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Oren is the brand you want to look for
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Georgia Pacific, GP, makes pink butcher paper sold in the US.  There are a few folks on Amazon who buy/bought Canadian producers in the past.  I know of one bad production run that came out of Canada in recent years. 

Distributors like Oren buy from GP and cut down to width and length rolls. GP paper is USA produced. Ceramic Grill Store butcher paper is GP, 24 wide, 150 length, 40 weight and pink. $19.99 a roll.

Most folks find 18" wide too short to handle briskets, have to double it up which can cause some issues with over wrapping middle and limiting how the paper breathes.  

I recommend staying away from kraft paper as it's commonly recycled paper and not FDA approved.  Plenty of sources around for real butcher, no need to use kraft paper.  

To wrap, all one needs is a couple wraps around the meat.  To many wraps can prevent the paper from breathing which is what separates it from aluminum foil. 

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I got mine from Amazon and very happy with it. US made, 24" wide, less than a penny per sf. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E63GIH0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/cgs-specialty/products/pink-butcher-paper-24-x-500-dallas-texas

I grabbed a roll with my last order and total was enough for free shipping.
    I gave a bunch to friends and still have enough for several years.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited February 2019
    Options
    tjv said:
    Georgia Pacific, GP, makes pink butcher paper sold in the US.  There are a few folks on Amazon who buy/bought Canadian producers in the past.  I know of one bad production run that came out of Canada in recent years. 

Distributors like Oren buy from GP and cut down to width and length rolls. GP paper is USA produced. Ceramic Grill Store butcher paper is GP, 24 wide, 150 length, 40 weight and pink. $19.99 a roll.

Most folks find 18" wide too short to handle briskets, have to double it up which can cause some issues with over wrapping middle and limiting how the paper breathes.  

I recommend staying away from kraft paper as it's commonly recycled paper and not FDA approved.  Plenty of sources around for real butcher, no need to use kraft paper.  

To wrap, all one needs is a couple wraps around the meat.  To many wraps can prevent the paper from breathing which is what separates it from aluminum foil. 

t  
    I agree 24” makes sense as better than 18” and would go that route next time but what I don’t get is the part about don’t buy kraft.  If a company lists that they are FDA approved and if you look them up and find they are a legit USA made company than does that make their “kraft” paper ok?

To be honest I just got into brisket cooks last year and that was my first paper purchase for wrapping.  When I bought the paper I checked to see that it was food safe and that the seller checked out as a real USA made company.  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I went through a butcher paper phase and had some good results but I’m pretty much back to aluminum foil. It gets the meat tender faster.
    if your worried about bark just take out of the wrap and cook another 30-45 min to firm the bark back up.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    tjv said:

t  
    I agree 24” makes sense as better than 18” and would go that route next time but what I don’t get is the part about don’t buy kraft.  If a company lists that they are FDA approved and if you look them up and find they are a legit USA made company than does that make their “kraft” paper ok?

To be honest I just got into brisket cooks last year and that was my first paper purchase for wrapping.  When I bought the paper I checked to see that it was food safe and that the seller checked out as a real USA made company.  
    I don't recommend kraft paper as it opens up a lot of possibilities. Most folks won't go through the due diligence you did. They will see a roll and just buy it, assuming it's ok for food.

Note, you say the company is FDA approved but not the kraft paper......big difference. The mills run kraft paper all the time. Butcher paper is generally a specific run, not all the time.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    jamesj said:
    I know this is an old post but not a bunch on this topic.
    Why would you not want to use Kraft. (Other then you hate the Patriots) That is just a brand that makes all kinds of paper products. This one is food grade, FDA approved, non waxed or filmed...  any reason not to buy it?....
    Butcher paper is a type of kraft paper. Keep in mind that "kraft paper" is not the same as "Kraft" paper.  The latter is a food related brand name.  The former is a paper making process and many different companies make kraft paper.  If it is FDA approved for contact with food, the choice of brand is up to you.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.