Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First CyberQ Trial Suggestion?

Options
Hello BGE friends,

Although I had not considered myself to be overly nice this year, Santa saw fit to grant me a new CyberQ Wifi.  I'm assuming this was a good faith gesture to which I am to reciprocate next year.  Nonetheless, Mr. and Mrs. Clause (in-laws) will be coming by this Sunday to stay the night and would like to wow them by using my new guru device.  Does anybody have a relatively easy recipe for the first time CyberQ user?  Obviously my in-laws are pretty awesome based on the gift the got me and I really want to do it up but not spend a great deal of time; I know I'm the third standard deviation for in-laws.

Thanks and play on players,

GT
"This is America Jack!" Cleo McDowell

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'd just say do whatever low and slow cook you were comfortable doing before you got the pit controller. Unless you want to show off the wireless capabilities on your phone or something, then I would go for pulled pork so when you are out on the town you can show them how you can check on the cook at the mall. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GoodTimes
    Options

I'd just say do whatever low and slow cook you were comfortable doing before you got the pit controller. Unless you want to show off the wireless capabilities on your phone or something, then I would go for pulled pork so when you are out on the town you can show them how you can check on the cook at the mall. 
    Thanks @Scottborasjr.  I'll have approximately 5 hours of cook/prep time as I will be getting back in town early afternoon.  I normally would try to do some ribs, but I think I wouldn't have enough time for prep/cook.  Maybe I'll just do a basic pork loin unless you have a better suggestion for something in that time frame.  If I had all day I would be doing something super conducive to the full abilities of the CyberQ!  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would vote for the ribs you mention especially if your talking baby backs. You could cook them at 300ish I and be done inside of 3hrs if you are wanting a slower cook to show off your new hardware I generally cook Ribs at around 350 (turbo style) and they are done between 1:45 and 2hrs. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GoodTimes
    Options
    @mattman3969 Your confidence in the cook time makes me feel that I could get that done.  In your professional opinion do you think that if I get back from a wedding around 2:00 PM slightly hungover, put together a set of baby backs and have them ready to eat by 7:00?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Easy Peasy. My timeline would be like this... Grab beer(possibly hair of the dog), start fire, 10mins later close dome( I don't have a cyber so do what you do with it here I guess) grab another beer. Pull membrane and rub the ribs while egg is stabilizing.easily within an hr so it is now 3 o'clock and you have 4 hrs to do basically a 1:45hr cook if you turbo at 350 or you can slow down and cook at 300ish If you slow down and get crunched for time you can always bump the temp up. I would have no worries doing this. Half way thru your hangover should be much better.

analyze adapt overcome

• Black_Badger
    Options
    In your shoes I would do ribs as well, but why not prep them before you go to the wedding? Let them hang out in the fridge until you get back then go straight to cooking. Not really showing off the guru so much, but a good option none the less.

Cheers
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    What do you cook best? That's what I would do.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GoodTimes
    Options
    Hey everybody, been out of pocket at this wedding, but did talk to my bride yesterday on the ride up and I'm going to make a game time decision, but I think I'll do ribs time permitting.  Im certainly going to employee @Mattman3969 plan to get back up on the saddle and start drinking again upon arrival so that I'll be hitting on all cylinders.  I can tell that @blackbadger is too a wise man as he mentioned getting some prep work done before hand, but that was not an option as I was only back home briefly for one night/morning before this wedding.  Im over 1,400 miles into an approximate 1,700 mile round trip that started less than a week ago and spanned everything from family, friends, Jesus' Birthday and a wedding.  

To answer @terrebandit question, Ribs really are the one thing that I feel that I excel at on the egg.  My in-laws love them as much as we do, so that was another reason to do them.  If I got back a day early, I really wanted to do butt and a brisket to really see how this thing works, but that will have to wait for a later post.  

Thanks to everybody on the input; Im shooting for the ribs, but may end up doing a simple steak if I run out of time and maybe just get drunk and talk about how kick a$$ it would be if we were 13 hours into a long smoke! 

GT
  • GoodTimes
    Options
    On a side note, I may need to change my picture after seeing you guys pictures.  @Mattman969 has an intimidating throwing star (possibly a troy-bilt tiller blade, don't really know but cool looking nonetheless), @Black_Badger has a badger, which pound for pound is about as tough as a critter as you would want to tangle with, and @terrebandit has high speed crotch rockets.  Feeling like I need to step it up and get something a little tougher now!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    My avatar is the same avatar I have used for years on other forums. It is a Metallica symbol that is supposed to rotate but for some reason won't on this forum.

analyze adapt overcome

• GoodTimes
    Options
    I actually thought that at first but couldn't remember what album cover it was from.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    They will be great.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    My first cook on the BGE with the cyberQ was a Boston butt. They are easy, bullet proof, and delicious. Easier than the brisket for sure.

And for whatever it is worth, I like the hobie cat. With one picture I knew you like to sail, and that is a dying breed of peeps.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• GoodTimes
    Options
    @theshaytoon I've been trying since last night to respond to your post, and was trying to attach some photo's but Im having a hard time attaching them.  I read the post for using photo bucket, but I'm obviously doing something wrong.  You got any idea how to successfully attach pictures?
  • EGGARIFIC
    Options

what ive noticed with any temp controller is get that fire established, don't have blower hooked up when you put the meat on because the temp variance will make the blower just kick on and burn useless amounts of charcoal.  Once your egg gets back to desired temp that's when I hook the controller up.

Anyone else do it this way???

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I have the pit set at temp for at least 20  minutes, with the blower hooked up before I put the meat on.  
    That way, I know we are where we need to be before making the "Investment".  

Also, the Daisy Wheel can really help control the blower.   I still tinker with it to help with the overall picture.  

Ribs are going on today, I will take pics and share.  Got new toys to try out!!!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX