Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt question

Options
I am having people over at 2 ish on New Year's Day for pulled pork . I am thinking of starting them around midnight ( I have 2 , one is bone In ) If they take take 8-12 hours .. How long can they FTC for ?? I don't want to start them at 3 am and also don't want them dryer out and cold
Toronto

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    You can FTC for 4-6 hours at least.  What size are they?
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I think they are 6 and 8 lbs Another thought I had was to put them on at midnight . Take them off at 7 or 8 am . FTC them and out them back on at 11 or noon ?? What do you think
    Toronto
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    I cooked two on Christmas eve and I FTC for about three hours and they were perfectly fine and still very hot. I did wrap mine in news paper after the foil just to help with clean up.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would prolly just do them that morning. Start fire at 5 in the am you should have the meat on by 6 Do a turbo @ 350 all the way through. I am guessing you should be done by 12 or so. Even if it takes you to 1-1:30 no big deal, I personally think the rest on butts is overrated You can loosely tent it on the counter and pull as soon as you can handle it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Not sure I want to turbo them . I was thinking that I could slow cook for a few hours and then jack it up ?
    Toronto
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I just did one on sat night. 8lb. 250 all the way thru but had to bump the temp up to 325 to get done at 2. Only FTC for 1/2 hour. I'd start at midnight or 11. Done early is always better than late. Just sayin
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can do that for sure. I mentioned turbo cause I personally would rather get up early than not get a good sleep while cooking overnight.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Have wrapped for 5 hours with no problem..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Awesome everyone thanks !!
    Toronto
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Have wrapped for 5 hours with no problem..
    I have actually gone 7+ hours with FTC and it was still too hot to handle with bare fingers.  No need to put it back on the egg.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Texansurf
    Options

I really like to FTC,  I find when  I let my cooks rest and slowly come down in temp,  moister the meat is.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It depends on the cut of meat and temperature. At 250 I'd say a 6 lb but may take 12 hrs. It may take 9. If you run behind wrap it and go to 325 or 350. I cooked 2 10 lb butts at 220 for 22 hrs last week.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pantsypants
    Options
    yeah i think that i will just put them on at 11 or midnight .
    worst case is i ftc them for 5 hours which seems to be ok !
    i will post picks and keep everyone updated !!

thanks again

Toronto
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I FTC'd my last shoulder for 6 hrs and it turned out great.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA