Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help for the ultimate burger!

Options
Happy New Year and a belated Merry Christmas to all my egg brothers and sisters.    Finally back home and some what calmed down and time to play with a new toy.   Santa dropped a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment under the tree for me this year and I am itching to try it out today.    Want to make "fresh" burgers this evening and need some ideas on the best you have made by grinding your own.   The rain has stopped in Middle Georgia and hoping to get some egg time this afternoon!    Thanks everyone and a safe and prosperous New Year to all!
In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Comments

• cajunduck
    Options
    I do brisket all the time. The wife and kids love them.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    For the ultimate burger, add fish sauce for umami.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    I hope your Kitchen Aid grinder doesn't grind as fine as mine, I tried it on some smoked Brisket and the meat wasn't dry but it came out like meal real fine, maybe the raw meat will be different. Hope so anyway.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Make sure to place the grinder attachment and all parts (blades, plastic) in the freezer for at least 30mins, to make them ice cold. The meat goes in the freezer for a while also, make sure that the meat is partially frozen, not totally, and not raw. It will grind perfectly if partially frozen, and the grinder is cold. Once the grinder heats up, and it will, the meat will also and it will slowly become more difficult to grind. I use speed 6 or 8 and on my 600 professional and grind 2 times with the coarse blade. I have had good luck mixing chuck roast and pork shoulder. It just depends on what fat content you want. When trimming your meat, do not worry about taking the fat out, or at least don't be anal about it, once ground you will notice that you need that fat. Try a 60/40 mix of Chuck to Pork, and see how you like it. Let me know, once you get your mix down, you can add your spices or onions, etc into the grind and go from there. There is nothing better than a FRESH GROUND BURGER. Enjoy!

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great post Jason!

I just got a grinder attachment for our Kitchenaid as well.  Thanks for the advice and info.  Can't wait to put it to use.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio