Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another prime rib reverse seared - pics of course

Options
In that Thursday was the day the whole family was together, I did the prime rib cook yesterday.  Probably only my second prime rib cook ever, and the first on the Egg, so I did my research up front.  This was a 7 lb specimen, boneless.

Took out of the fridge around 1:00 and tied it up.  Rubbed with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and some Rosemary, then a 2 hour rest at room temp.  I followed the @nibblemethis guidelines, and perched the  roast on a rack above (not inside) a pan with beef broth, Rosemary, and a couple of smashed garlic cloves. 
I wanted to cook at 225 grate temp, but the grate probe on my Maverick was DOA when I plugged it in, so had to rely on the dome thermometer.
Indirect with platesetter, 250 dome to start, though I let it creep up to nearly 300 toward the end.  

3 hours and it hit 122 IT, I pulled and rested, and opened the vents to go nuclear for the sear.  In this case, I left the plate setter in, and just placed the roast on the normal grid at a dome temp of 600.  Gave it 5 minutes, then carved and served.  It was truly perfect.  Pan drippings plus beef broth made the au jus.  I have a big hunk left over which I sill slice up for sandwiches using my Christmas Chefs Choice slicer.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it!  Nicely done.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Very nice.  I am so wanting to try this.
  • revolver1
    Options
    Wow!!!!  That's wonderful.  I'm sure it was enjoyed.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RoySC
    RoySC Posts: 7
    Options
    I am planning to do one tomorrow for Supper.  This looks great.  I have not done a reverse sear before.  Did you take the roast out of the rack for the sear or just set it back on the grate in the rack?  Also, mine is not boneless.  I am going to cut the bones away and tie them back for the cook after I rub.  Thoughts?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    RoySC said:
    I am planning to do one tomorrow for Supper.  This looks great.  I have not done a reverse sear before.  Did you take the roast out of the rack for the sear or just set it back on the grate in the rack?  Also, mine is not boneless.  I am going to cut the bones away and tie them back for the cook after I rub.  Thoughts?
    Most on this forum do the sear direct and turn the meat every minute.  I did not want to stand out in the cold and turn meat.  I did the sear without the rack, just put it on the grate, though still indirect, with lava below the plate setter.   The drip pan was also removed before searing.  I have never done one with bones, I am pretty sure you remove from the bones before doing the sear though.

If you have not visited Nibblemethis, his site has a lot of very detailed cooks.  I went by this http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html
    Rochester, NY
  • RoySC
    RoySC Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks.  I was planning to remove the bones before the sear.  I will check the link.  
  • OVERULD
    Options

Mouthwatering!  Think I'll try this cook next.

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • TexianFool
    Options
    Help Fellow Eggheads...

Venturing out to roast my first Prime Rib on my newly received BGE! I am going to use the Nibble Me This recipe with one variation, and will let all know how this cooking experience turns out. 

It better be a good one because I have ten people coming to dinner tomorrow I am going to try and "wow"!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Sounds like you have done your homework.  You will be fine!

By the way, I broke in the new slicer this morning with the leftovers, have 3 bags of deli sliced PR for sandwiches.  Can't wait till I am hungry again!
    Rochester, NY