Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have two 15 LB turkeys

Options
Hi everybody,
I have two 15 LB turkeys and I would like to know the best way to cook turkey on the BGE.  I ordered some Peach wood Chunks so I am waiting for those to come in.  I have some questions because I have never cooked a turkey before.  Should I brine the turkey?  How long and what temp do I cook it at?  What spices should I put on it?  Let me know what everybody thinks.

Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I don't brine whole birds ( only when I just cook breast). Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    In addition to spatchcock (the following link will explain) another favorite is Mad Max's turkey (also included in the link).  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken I will either spatchcock like @Mickey describes or if cooking whole-just put some aromatics in the cavity and rub with a version of Mickey's coffee rub or other seasonings.  Rub down with peanut oil and some salt, pepper and more seasoning-one the BGE indirect at around 325-350*F for about 12mins/lb.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I have had great success with @mickey recipe.  It is quick, easy and good.
    Milton, GA.
  • sgegger
    Options
    I had great success with Alton Browns Good Eats brine recipe. Bird was fantastic
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    How did the turkeys get leftover after the holidays?

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Here you get a free turkey when you buy a ham (cooked two hams and a turkey Christmas)I have one sitting in the freezer I had forgotten about till yesterday.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.