Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody lost meat or worse on overnighter?

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have several packs of howling coyotes running wild through the woods each moon lit night. Concern would be drawing them to smell of pork butt or worse knocking egg over trying to get meat? Pork butt much easier to get than running deer.

Comments

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    racoons002.jpg
    <p />Charbon,[p]I've got these guys to contend with myself. They come right up on my deck and sometimes peek in the windows at me. I've stopped my over night cooking for the time being.[p]Rick
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Charbon,
    We have critters...at least one bear, deer, opossums, raccoons, and I've heard coyotes howling nearby. However, no problems so far with the BGEs; I've never even seen any evidence of bad behavior. I keep a light on the grill area during the overnighters. I'm always a little concerned when transporting finished roasts during the dark hours. But I keep my trusty Lawn Ranger Grid Lifter handy to fend off any hungry beasts. Don't mess with this cook!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Charbon,
    ive had the coyotes run thru the campsite during the night, and even a bear rumaging around, but for some reason they leave the smoker alone.as i sat by the fire sharpening a long stick, i dont remember worrying about loosing any meat except maybe my own

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Charbon,[p]There are deer, and othe wildlife in the wood behind our new house (I see them on ocasion). I have installed a motionsesor that turns on a light on the deck. Think it will help.[p]Smokey
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Charbon,[p]That's why everyone needs a BGE Guard dog[p]IMG_2104_edited.jpg[p]John
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    JM3,[p]I bet that dog has a warm backside.

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Dos Huevos,[p]I have between one to three dogs in my backyard and anytime I have an overnighter going they all sleep near the egg. Whether it is because it is warm or because it smells so good I'm not sure.[p]John
  • Roadkill
    Options
    Charbon,
    Does anyone have a Spatchcocked Coyote reciepe?

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Charbon, I usually just lose brain cells during overnighters!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Is that when your cooking on Pink Mountain Julie?
    Larry

• Charbon
    Options
    coyotesetup001.jpg
    <p />Charbon, Thanks for all the great ideas. I think i've figured it out. Coyote set up would be "wicked good" lump to top of fire ring, several dry chunks of hickory, indirect raised rack, Redi check temp guage, 2 million candle power light, nine shot revolver and a box of shells.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Charbon,
    Unless you're planning on firing that pop gun into the air I'd look for something with a little more stopping power. All that thing would do is pi$$ 'em off.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Charbon, I cooked on 6 BGEs at our church (downtown Atlanta) one night. The custodian warned me that some of the homeless types might wander in and steal - not the EGGs - the meat. I chained them through the handles and through the EGGnest so that they couldn't be opened. That's one way to resist the urge to peak!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Stay away from that place, YB! I didn't even bother to try to catch up. Full moon + moonshine = head start.
  • Charbon
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Was primarily looking to deter theft of meat or busting of Egg. Head shots would produce numerous coy dog carcasses which would require removal or disposal. Since I don't wear PJ's I was assuming sight alone of gunman with pig tail turner would intimidate these creatures at 2 or 3 AM.

• usa doug
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Now, that is true sportsmanship![p]Doug