Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATC w WiFi or not

dfrelich
dfrelich Posts: 104
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
It's very hard trying to find information on the internet pertaining to the specific question I have.   What I'm trying to find out from those who got ATC w WiFi.

I've bought DigiQ DX2 last week to do few slow cook next few days -- beside they're out of CyberQ WiFi so I settled with DigiQ.

Anyway when I've had my DigiQ running with Maverick 732.  I realized something when I was looking at my 732 display.  I liked how I can glance at the device and have information very quick.   With the mobile/tablet, it would simply had meant I need to do passcode and then select an app to view temperatures. 

I got to wonder about other people who had owned wifi and has been using their app to view data.  Do you find it a nuisance to do all this just to get quick basic information?  Does the app do background refresh?  Or do I need to wait for the app to get in touch with the device to load data?

I think it'll be a deciding factor for me whether I should keep DigiQ or shell out extra $100.  I know, I'll be able to view more data, plus 3 probes and the ability to check out the temperatures when I'm not home.  But my thoughts, when I set my food on the grate, I know when to expect it to be ready and I will be back home before it's ready.  If not, ramp mode on the diqi q will kick in.

Question for you all who had owned WiFI for many many cooks?  Do you find that the novelty has worn off?  And has basically just wanted to know the temperatures?  Rather than all that extra data?

Thanks...

X-Large & Large
Frederick County, MD

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sorry for the off-topic post, but I see you are in Frederick County. Whereabouts? I missed your initial posts so welcome from another Frederick County egghead.

I don't personally have a pit controller yet. In terms of the wifi debate, it seems that people with the CyberQ like the fact that they can remotely monitor their cooking. Many appreciate the visual aspect of graphing cooks so they can see the stall and any variables they introduce. You mentioned this above so if it is not imperative that you be omnipresent over every egg action I see no need for it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!!: The fact that you have to walk outside to "check the grill" as opposed to being able to do it from the couch is the biggest excuse to grab another adult beverage. Isn't that the point of grilling , anyway
    ;)
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I am in this same debate with myself.  Do I really need the Remote - Wifi?  I want a controller to control the cook and I guess I could use the maverick to let me know when the food is almost done.  I would never leave the lit Egg while I am not at home so I do not need remote (away from the house) access. 

Garnerville, NY
  • I have also been thinking about this. My thoughts are the Guru is designed to keep a constant temp. That being said there is really no need to remotely watch the temp of the egg if the Guru is doing its job. I would be nice to keep an eye on the meat temp but you could always use the Maverick for that or just check on it every once in a while. I think I have almost talked myself into getting the D2X but I'm still thinking it would be fun to have the WiFi one. Plus I'm also thinking that the Stoker would be nice to. Its WiFi and can do 2 pits at once.

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • AmericanFlannel
    AmericanFlannel Posts: 131
    edited December 2013
    Wifi- all the way. (I have a cyberq)

At home I have the webpage open on my laptop and I can glance at the temps to make sure everything is ok at any given time without going outside in the rain (When I smoke, it rains. I am magic!)

Biggest advantage? When it's getting close to time to pull it and the wife requires you to "go get buns, soda, coleslaw etc...." at the store. I have an app (or the webpage if the app isn't behaving) all set up so that I can go shopping and be sure I have enough time to get home before the food needs to come off. 
  • dfrelich
    Sorry for the off-topic post, but I see you are in Frederick County. Whereabouts? I missed your initial posts so welcome from another Frederick County egghead.

I don't personally have a pit controller yet. In terms of the wifi debate, it seems that people with the CyberQ like the fact that they can remotely monitor their cooking. Many appreciate the visual aspect of graphing cooks so they can see the stall and any variables they introduce. You mentioned this above so if it is not imperative that you be omnipresent over every egg action I see no need for it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!!: The fact that you have to walk outside to "check the grill" as opposed to being able to do it from the couch is the biggest excuse to grab another adult beverage. Isn't that the point of grilling , anyway
    ;)
    I'm located in Adamstown, south of the county.  

As for your "walk to outside" to check the grill.  I have no problem doing so but when you're doing an overnight cook -- I want to sleep… don't want to drink more beer or even go outside.   Waking up in the middle of night to take a leak is hard enough.   :-)
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • dfrelich
    I think I've not made myself clear.  I know you can check the temp anywhere, but the real question I have is this.  How fast does the temp load on your mobile/tablet?  If it takes more than 5 seconds to go through the motion with your mobile/tablet just to view temperatures.  That's too long for me. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I like the Wifi because you have the ability to adjust the temp without going out to the Egg.   I also like the txt msg alerts for the pit temp and the meat temps..  Not to mention all of the other reasons above.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Personally, I couldn't care less what's going on in there when using my digiq. A few days ago, I threw a couple of butts on at 11 PM and went to bed. Next morning, I got up, showered, ate breakfast, checked email and watched a little TV. Only then did I bother to go out and check the meat.

All was well, as it always is, and I still had another 30* to go, as I knew I would. Not at all interested in a play by play. But maybe that's just me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    I view the temps from the browser on my PC, Tablet, and phone.  It automatically refreshes, so it appears instant to me.  Watching the fan output numbers change tells me it is refreshing. 

I also found an app that works on the pc that is in real time as well.  I have not found an app for a Windows phone...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Wife got the Maverick 733 for me and I used it last night.  Really love knowing my temps from the house while I am getting other chores, sides, etc done.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I prefer the Stoker. It with the Stoker Log software allows me to graph and save all of the cooks. It helps me on many levels. I can go back and compare low and slow to say hot and fast. If I am in a time pinch I can what I did in the past that may fit the time window. Also I can see what effects the stall. If I push the temp to 300 or 350 I can see the effect on the temp rise over time. And with the twitter capability remote notification is a breeze.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • smbishop said:
    I view the temps from the browser on my PC, Tablet, and phone.  It automatically refreshes, so it appears instant to me.  Watching the fan output numbers change tells me it is refreshing. 

I also found an app that works on the pc that is in real time as well.  I have not found an app for a Windows phone...
    What is the name of the app, @smbishop

@dfrelich, I use the ThePitPal App with the CyberQ...the app records the temp of each probe every 3 minutes in the background.  But the "Main Page" that is displayed during cooks has to be manually refreshed, that does not make sence to me, but no big deal.  It takes less than 5 seconds, to check the temp manually.

I really like the CyberQ! 

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• smbishop
    I found the app from this thread on the BBQ Brethren Forum:  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132610  It is simply called "CyberQ Wifi Windows Controller, you can download it here:  http://wedonet.net/  I have it running on Windows 8.1, but have also used it on Windows 7 and 8.  It also allows you keep logs multiple cooks.  Kind of fun to see the graphs..  :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    dfrelich said:

;)
    I'm located in Adamstown, south of the county.  

As for your "walk to outside" to check the grill.  I have no problem doing so but when you're doing an overnight cook -- I want to sleep… don't want to drink more beer or even go outside.   Waking up in the middle of night to take a leak is hard enough.   :-)
    Cool. I live in Frederick. Right by the Wegmans of of Monocacy Blvd. 
  • Another way to tell if the webpage is updating is to set the cook time, that way you will know if the page is "stuck" or not. 
  • dfrelich
    :-). These are tempting. I guess I need to stick w digi and wait a few years to see what I want. But hey your inputs were valuable. Thanks all.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD