Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a cook idea for this weekend possibly - Easy

Since I have not used the Egg due to no time between work and kids sports and the cold weather/snow I am not sold on using it anytime soon.  Now that being said I may have time on Sunday.

I am looking for a great meal off the Egg to get me motivated to use it again over the winter.  I do not want pulled pork, spatchcock chicken/turkey, pork loins, ribs or steaks.  Also not looking for true BBQ flavor (so now BBQ sauce or BBQ type rubs).

Any ideas for a good cook - It has to be a cook where I light the Egg - Hopefully get it settled at a temp around 300-350 (And if the temp moves higher or lower so be it - had allot of issues dialing it in the last few times).  After 30 minutes or so place the meat on the Egg and go back into the house for a few hours (2-4).  After a few hours take off the meat, shut down the Egg and go into the house.  Serve eventually.  I do not want any cook that I have to constantly fiddle with - and I do not have a remote temperature probe anymore - maverick does not work anymore.

Made chili a few times and its good but not standing outside in the cold to make it. 

What can I do - I want flavor?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited December 2013

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Sorry, I said Beef Wellington, but then I remembered  you didn't want the bread.(puff Pastry)
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Meatloaf?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    meatloaf
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I did not like the meatloaf I made - I think the porous meat (ground beef) took up too much smoke I think.

Garnerville, NY
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Leg of lamb.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Rob,  you really put a lot of limitations on what you want to cook!

How about Chicken Cordon Bleu:

• 4 Boneless chicken breast (or one per person)
    • 4 slices ham
    • 4 slices swiss cheese
    • Seasoned bread crumbs
    • 2 eggs
    • ½ cup milk

For the sauce:
    • 1 can Campbell’s cream of chicken soup
    • ½ cup sour cream
    • 1/3 cup dry white wine
    • ½ cup milk (approximately)
    • ¼ teaspoon sage
    • ½ teaspoon dried thyme

Trim any fat from the chicken breasts, pound to a thickness of about ½” (I use a small frying pan to pound.  You want them all to be the same thickness
    Using a sharp knife, cut a deep pocket into each breast.
    Layer ham and cheese inside the pocket
    Dip in egg wash made by beating eggs and milk, then into bread crumbs, covering completely.
    Place chicken breasts in a greased baking dish.  HYOu could cook directly on the grid but will loose some of the cheese that melts and drips.
    At this point you can refrigerate the chicken until you are ready to bake.

To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.   Add milk to get the right consistency.
    Heat to a simmer, allow the alcohol to evaporate.

Bake chicken breasts  for 40 min @ 350°, top with sauce.  Note, the sauce recipe makes enough for probably 8 of these.

I like to serve with a rice pilaf - could be cooked in a covered pot on the egg.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • It is kind of pulled pork, but no BBQ flavor, really easy, and really flavorful!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145242/faux-cochon-de-lait

Pentwater, MI
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Wow... That sounds really good. Bookmarked!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Leg of lamb.
    My thought, too. But I usually serve fairly quickly, not at a most leisurely pace. I suppose, tho', it might be held in a warm oven till ready to serve.

Double smoked ham can be done w. minimal fuss.
  • Pork tenderloin. It's only a quick 30 minute cook but yummy!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • robnybbq
    edited December 2013
    It is kind of pulled pork, but no BBQ flavor, really easy, and really flavorful!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145242/faux-cochon-de-lait

Interesting - What's the sauce?  Just the milk/cream leftover?

Edit - Nevermind its the leftover milk/cream.  I'll have to think about this.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Pork tenderloin. It's only a quick 30 minute cook but yummy!
    Had some a few weeks ago.  I overrubbed with DP RedEye and turned me off of that flavor now. 

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Is this any good for the Egg?

On sale at local Grocery store
    Cooks Shank Half Ham - (Ham and Water Product - Bone in - Fully Cooked - Reduced Sodium - Smoked)

We may be having Ham at my brothers house on Christmas so I am not sure I want to cook it this weekend anyways.

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    robnybbq said:
    Is this any good for the Egg?

On sale at local Grocery store
    Cooks Shank Half Ham - (Ham and Water Product - Bone in - Fully Cooked - Reduced Sodium - Smoked)

We may be having Ham at my brothers house on Christmas so I am not sure I want to cook it this weekend anyways.
    If not this weekend, maybe some other. There are very fancy ways of of making double smoked ham, Dr. Chickens Double Smoked being a good example. But it is quick and easy to take a good quality cured, smoked, and pre-cooked ham, and just re-heat on the Egg.

For Thanksgiving, I bought an inexpensive spiral cut ham, and went to the trouble of making a maple/blueberry syrup glaze. Brushed the glaze between half the cuts, which let me cut 2 different flavors from the same cook.
  • robnybbq
    I'll get it another time then.  Dont want it to go bad.

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • HDumptyEsq
    gdenby said:
    Leg of lamb.
    My thought, too. But I usually serve fairly quickly, not at a most leisurely pace. I suppose, tho', it might be held in a warm oven till ready to serve.

Double smoked ham can be done w. minimal fuss.

Lamb's good both ways - fast and hot so it's rare in the middle or low and slow to falling-off-the-bone (but done in a pan with some taters, parsnips, carrots and turnips thrown in for the last hour).

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Boy you have a lot of conditions.  Anyway...I'd say you need pizza on the egg.  I think it meets your criteria, but can't be sure.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2013

Tri tip.  Make this and it will renew your faith in the egg.  Slice thin and serve room temp whenever you want.  Win Win!!  The chimichurri will smack you in the face with flavor.  b-(

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158581/santa-maria-tri-tip-and-argentine-chimichurri#latest

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • robnybbq
    I would love to try a tri-tip - In the North East that is same as saying Santa Claus is real.  I have been to 3 butchers and none of them can get it,

Pizza - Tried a few times - better dow nthe street at the pizzeria and I am not standing in the cold to make them and I am sort of on a low carb diet.

never had leg of lamb - No clue about it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2013
    Rob, It sounds to me like right now you're just not into egging     :-j

Maybe the pizza from down the street (thin crust of course) is a good idea!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • robnybbq
    I am not and that is why I am looking for something good to cook.  Its cold out and I hate the cold. 

Garnerville, NY
  • HDumptyEsq
    How about this for a "leave-it-alone" cook? Use lamb shanks, sear them and put in a DO with almost any veggies you can think of, rosemary and thyme, s & p, with a cup of red or white wine and enough stock to cover. Stick it on the egg, raised indirect at 275-300. Grab a six pack and put yer feet up for 2 hours. Presto - dinner is ready and so good you'll want to wear it on your head! :)>-

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• robnybbq
    edited December 2013
    How about this for a "leave-it-alone" cook? Use lamb shanks, sear them and put in a DO with almost any veggies you can think of, rosemary and thyme, s & p, with a cup of red or white wine and enough stock to cover. Stick it on the egg, raised indirect at 275-300. Grab a six pack and put yer feet up for 2 hours. Presto - dinner is ready and so good you'll want to wear it on your head! :)>-
    Hmm - More info on this please.  How many shanks?  What kind of stock?  Coverred or uncovered DO?

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Google nibble me this faux coshon de lait. I serve on hoagies with red wine vinegar slaw.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HDumptyEsq
    # of shanks  depends on how many people but four or five in a covered DO would work - leftovers are loverly - beef stock or chicken with an OXO  cube will work (I use an English concoction called Bovril (on e-Bay) added to a chicken stock if I don't have any home-made. If you flour the shanks first you'll get a thicker, heartier gravy. Make sure you have some crusty bread for mop-up!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• How about a homemade Mac and cheese?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple said:
    Google nibble me this faux coshon de lait. I serve on hoagies with red wine vinegar slaw.
    Already linked it for him a few post up
    :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited December 2013
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

• robnybbq said:
    I would love to try a tri-tip - In the North East that is same as saying Santa Claus is real.  I have been to 3 butchers and none of them can get it,

Pizza - Tried a few times - better dow nthe street at the pizzeria and I am not standing in the cold to make them and I am sort of on a low carb diet.

never had leg of lamb - No clue about it.
    Tri-tip @ Trader Joe's if you have one nearby
    Pentwater, MI