Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More bark on pork butt.

Options
Hey all, I have two pork butts totaling 20lbs. I'm thinking of cutting them in half and maybe quarters. I am assuming this will provide more "bark" and take less time. Can anyone think of drawbacks of doing this? Pros or cons?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually cut mine into 4-5 lb pieces. I turbo though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • PapaMoose
    Options
    Sounds like it wont hurt anything then. What do you do for the turbo method?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I once had two 5 lb butts. As an experiment, I cut one in half and cooked all three pieces at the same time, 250° dome. The 2.5 lb pieces took just as long as the 5 pounder. Not sure why. I never tried it again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    PapaMoose said:

Sounds like it wont hurt anything then. What do you do for the turbo method?

325-350 till it hits 160 and then wrap till done. You won't get the same bark though. Some say the larger pieces are better. I'd try it. It can't hurt....it'll be good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • PapaMoose
    Options
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Found I get better bark now that I stopped wrapping during Turbo. TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to around 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.