Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock...blackened

So I did a small spatchcock chicken today.  Around 5-6 lbs, I'd guess.  Splayed it out, rubbed in some honey, then hit it with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and some Old Bay.  Cooked it direct, elevated.  Dome temp was around 380º or 390º.  Checked the temp in the breast after about an hour and ten minutes...it was already at 175º!  Yikes, it got ahead of me.

Overall though, I can't really complain.  Was very tasty, and the breast wasn't too dry.  Coulda been better, but for my first go around, I can't complain.  I'll be doing another one next weekend.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    The sugar from the honey caused the 'blackened'.  I always use honey in my London Broil marinade, because I love the blackened bark it creates.  As long as it was tasty, doesn't matter what it looked like - though I thought it looked pretty good. 

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I bet the skin was tasty. I love the taste of caramelized sugar and fat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.