Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Crown Roast Ideas!

Options
Grillmagic
Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

Hey everyone, I am thinking of doing a Pork Crown Roast this Sunday and need to feed 16 people, any thoughts on how much I will need. I seen some that were 6 to 7 pounds a month ago so I am thinking that may be the normal size and I am thinking of doing two of them. Any thoughts on brining/temp/method/seasoning/marinade. I was thinking about indirect 250 to IT of 120/125 with some apple or cherry wood then searing at 500 till 140/145

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Dimondale Michigan

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    The ones I have seen have what, 6-7 bones? I would definetly go for two of them for that many people. I like your cook plan. What about adding one of your favorite pork rubs?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Assuming this is basically the "rack of pork" sold by Costco, I'd figure on one bone per person unless you've got really scrawny racks.  So, to be safe, for 16, you'd probably need 3 of them.  I've cooked them slow and fast on the egg.  Either way, they turn out great.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I agree with everything njl said but I would cook 4. Leftovers are a wonderful thing. I cut the bones off and slice the meat thin for Cuban pork sandwiches. I also throw the bones back on the egg for a little snack. I cook mine to 135.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Grillmagic
    Options

Thanks everyone, next question Brine/Inject... anyone! I plan on DPing the crap out of them!

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options

You could put dressing/stuffing in the middle of the crowns for a really classic look.

BTW I'd brine them first.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    @grillmagic, brining would depend on if it was already enhanced. If they aren't enhanced then I would definitely brine.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    @grillmagic, brining would depend on if it was already enhanced. If they aren't enhanced then I would definitely brine.
    They are not enhanced however the butcher ask if I wanted him to put there house seasoning on the 2, I said no...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I happened to notice the Holiday Entertaining Recipes link to a BGE publication with a recipe for crown roast.  

I would just go with one bone per person.  I would check with the butcher and see if he can make you a roast with 16 bones.  Basically each bone gives you a nice size bone-in pork chop.  Chances are women and children won't need an entire piece, so you may have some left-over. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.