Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib rub?

Options
I'm looking for opinions on a rub for a prime rib I'm reverse searing this weekend. Would a coffee rub like mickeys rub taste good on beef?
Secondly I can't have prime rib without gravy or a jus so how do I get some drippings outta this cook? Use a roasting pan a rack?

thanks

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Troglodyte
    Options
    Drench with worcestershire sauce, then add Montreal Seasoning.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey's should taste good. I like Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub. Something as basic as s&p and garlic will be good. Even just plain s&p is preferred for many who want to let the meat flavor shine through.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Here is a great recipe from @NibbleMeThis:

Beef stock in the drip pan under a roasting rack with garlic and herbs.  The drippings from the roast combine with the beef stock.  I think you need beef stock because you don't get that much juice out of a roast otherwise.  

I haven't tried the coffee rub before but I have seen several recipes that use a coffee rub on a rib roast. It sounds good to me.  I would be a little concerned that the au jus might taste like coffee...but that might not be a bad thing either. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Mickey's should taste good. I like Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub. Something as basic as s&p and garlic will be good. Even just plain s&p is preferred for many who want to let the meat flavor shine through.

1+ Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub - BTW I also add a teaspoon of it to my Bloody Bulls! Give a nice twang!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Love to try penzeys but the rub costs like 10 bucks and the shipping about 40 bucks to Canada:(

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mickey's rub would be good on a turd.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I am going to use Montreal steak seasoning on mine. I will make a gravy sauce with beef broth, red wine, mushrooms, and some garlic and onions.  We will have company, and I can do it ahead. Hate to miss out on the pan drippings, but I will be better able to enjoy the gathering.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

I am going to use Montreal steak seasoning on mine. I will make a gravy sauce with beef broth, red wine, mushrooms, and some garlic and onions.  We will have company, and I can do it ahead. Hate to miss out on the pan drippings, but I will be better able to enjoy the gathering.

I'm working So I'm doing roast and Gravy the day before.Roast and gravy can be reheated the next day.Whats the best way to reheat a prime rib? Slowly in the oven I guess?

• Little Steven
    Options
    If you already have the roast get yer arse back at the place ye bought it at. Ask the meat cutter for some cap fat, he'll give it to ya. That fat is streaked with meat. You want to get the meaty bits out of the fatty stuff, not too fine now ya know. Then yas chap the bleedin' daylights out the little buggers. Sprinkle those into the bottom of yer roasting pan my son and ye'll have more drippings than the Mountie had when he ate aunt Martha's sheep ya know.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Mrs olearys cow rub. Just google it's the best
  • JayHawkEye
    Options
    If you're going to use a commercial rub just be careful with the salt. Many times a rub will impart a very salty spin on the drippings.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2013
    Options
    No drippings from most rib roasts, so add them to the drip pan like LS says. I do not cook my ribs on the roast, better roast as it is round and the bones make the best au jus ever. 
    Check out the Amazing Ribs site, well worth it. 

Too bad about the Penzeys, it is fantastic. Meathead's cow crust is pretty good too, Amazing Ribs, see @jscarfo post above. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!