Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder butt?? Boston Butt??

Is a pork shoulder butt and a boston butt the same thing?

Comments

• Yep. Well probably yep. Pork Shoulder might contain two parts the butt and the picnic. Both are good for pulled pork if that's where you're headed.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Yep. That's where I'm headed. Should I cook them the same way I always have. I have always done boston butts.
  • To my mind yes. The boston butt is higher up on the shoulder, and the picnic is the lower part, but they're essentially two components of the same region. Both are fatty and tough to start with and bebnfit from long cook times to break down the connective tissue and stay moist.

Do you have a 'shoulder butt' (which is probably the exact same Boston butt you're used to) or a 'pork shoulder' (which probably contains at least part of the picnic as well)? 

Middleton, WI
  • This is what I have. I'm cooking for a friend who is feeding 50 people. I usually buy the meat but he offered since I was helping him out. Pic below
  • They are the same. There are two cuts on a shoulder, the butt and the picnic shoulder.
  • Cook it like you always do and you'll be good. Is that all that's being prepared for 50 people?

Middleton, WI
  • I am providing the meat. They are doing the sides. I have 4 total at around 36lbs total. Not enough??

Injected and all rubbed up with dizzy dust.
  • That's possibly a little on the short side. Figure you lose 30 - 40% during the cook, that gives you just under 25# of finished pork. Since its being cooked on the egg it will be delicious and many adults may want more than 1/2 #. If it's a mix of kids and adults your probably close, but it might be worth having some food or something easy for some of the kids.

Cheers
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • I'm going to respectfully disagree with @Black_Badger and say that you should have plenty as long as you are serving sides.  Unless all 50 people that are expected to be there are under the age of 25 or on 5000-6000 calorie a day diet.  Then again, leftovers are never a bad thing.
    :)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • It's actually a church staff Christmas party. It will be all adults with not really any kids. There should be plenty of side and desserts. Should I grab an extra butt just in case?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited December 2013
    I really do think that you have plenty unless you are serving 50 offensive lineman.  I've done this cook for multiple birthday/anniversary/baby shower parties in the 50-70 people range and 25 lbs raw is my starting point.  A little less or a little more depending on the type of crowd expected.  I will be absolutely shocked if you are serving a group of people with a bunch of sides/desserts available that you will go through 36 lbs of raw pork. Unless word of mouth gets around during the party that there is this amazing pulled pork at the church and all of a sudden the group goes from 50-60 to 120 plus.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Good deal. Thanks to everyone for the input. I really appreciate all the help on pulling my first large group cook. I will post pictures tomorrow during the cook. I plan on cooking these turbo method because I have always had great success.
  • Fired up the eggs this morning. The large and small chugging away.
  • Good luck with everything!!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Should be plenty of meat.  Good luck. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pork quantity and alcohol rule #1...If some is good, more must be better. I think you'll be fine but as a Southerners tradition food must be sent home with people.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hey Guys
    The cook went great. A little slower than expected due to having 3 large butts on my large at one time. I fired up the small to cook the fourth.

We had about a tray left over of the pulled pork that was eaten today for lunch. All in all everything went great. Thanks for the input and help from each person on the thread.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Glad it went well.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN