Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt fat?

Alright so i'm attempting butt #2 this weekend for the inlaws and was just wondering what y'all do with that fat cap? Do I trim it all off or leave some on there to baste the meat as it cooks? Honestly my first butt was good but a little dry.I did a 12 hour low and slow for that one and pulled it off the egg at 203 internal and I think that dried it out a bit but this time im doing turbo.Going to cook 350 till 160 then wrap till 195.Can i use the maverick at 350 deg  to find out when I hit 160 or is there a approximate time frame for a 7-8lb butt to hit 160?

Thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Did you let the butt rest before you pulled it on your 12 hour cook? I don't do what most would consider the "traditional" turbo method.  I cook a butt somewhere between 240* and 275* for the first couple of hours to let it absorb the smoke, then bump the temp up to 350*-375* until finished when I need to rush it. 

Many do the wrap at 160* and that does help get it done quicker but I love the dry bark which I've never achieved when wrapping any butt, roast or brisket. 

If you are going to wrap it then yes you can use the maverick but that is pushing it's probes limits unless you have the newest one. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I have always had good success with the fat cap up low and slow (pit at 250 until IT is 195-200). They are plenty moist and delicious.

I have never attempted a turbo butt, but it's on my list...
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• I trim a good portion of the fat cap off of mine, maybe leaving only an 1/8" of the fat. I always cook them with the fat cap up but I don't think it matters much. 225-250 grate temp for me and I always pull mine at an IT of 197 or 198 (seams to be the magic number in my experience) and FTC for NO LESS than an hour. Excellent results every time.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I never trim at all just make sure you go through it good when you are pulling it to get the fat out that is leftover. You need to cook to 200 at least for it to pull easy and make sure you check it in several places. Don't choose when to foil by temp foil it when the bark looks good. The higher temp you cook at the lower internal temp you will need to wrap it but I don't think I have ever had the bark I want at 160 even when turbo. I have settled that I like to cook mine at 300 or even a little below. I just have better results that way I can tell when I turbo something its not the same to me.
  • I trim off most of  the fat camp, and have started doing mine with the fat down on the grill.  Then when you go to pull, if anything sticks its fat and not meat.  As far as it being dry, remember a lot of what gives the "moisture" sensation in a butt is actually rendered fat and collagen.  In my experience if it seems dry, I pulled it a few degrees too soon before everything had a chance to liquify.  I generally pull at 205, and have never FTC'ed on my best ones. Just let it sit for 10-30 minutes loosely tented with foil then pull. When I'm in a rush, I put it on at 275, once it is about an hour into the stall, I bump it up to about 325, and once it is about 180-185 IT, push the temp to 350 to finish.  Never foiled and turns out great every time.

Also, a great trick I've found if it seems a little dry when you pull it...  melt some butter, mix in whatever rub you used, a dash of hot sauce, and a little honey, then pour it over the pulled meat and mix it in.
    Pentwater, MI
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Decisions decisions maybe I won't foil at all just start lower and bump up to finish? Any ideas on how long a 7-8lb butt would take to hit 160ish at 275 deg?

• Sounds like you've got the game plan right.

I personally like 275-300ish until 160-170 and then once I foil I'll crank it up to 350. You will pretty much lose your bark though.

I love cooking butts. But at cooking two packs and I'm really the only one that eats a lot of it at my house, the food saver snack packs last a while!

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976

Sounds like you've got the game plan right.

I personally like 275-300ish until 160-170 and then once I foil I'll crank it up to 350. You will pretty much lose your bark though.

I love cooking butts. But at cooking two packs and I'm really the only one that eats a lot of it at my house, the food saver snack packs last a while!

So guess about 4-5 hours to hit 160 at 275 or so ?

• Sounds about right, could be a little shorter or a little longer depending on the hunk of meat
    Pentwater, MI
  • I always cook my Butts at 225 degrees F untill internal temp of 190 at that point I open my Egg and I grab the bone and try to shake it out of the butt if the bone comes out I know it's done if not I close the Egg and shoot for 195 and repeat untill the bone comes out each Butt is different some have came out at 185 others it came out at 200   
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • CANMAN1976
    Thanks... at 275 deg I can use the maverick anyhow .I just want to time the meal for the right hour.

• Plan it to be ready a little early.  That way if you need some more time, you'll have it.. If it's done then you can FTC.  I go fat side down and only foil if there are time constraints or I'm transporting.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• CANMAN1976
    As for a sauce do many of you guys sauce the butt at the end or mix in a sauce after pulled or just go commando (plain) with its own juice?..lol

• I chop all the bark up and mix it in with the pull. Taste it and see if it needs anything. Sometimes it will take sauce, sometimes a little apple cider and apple cider vinegar, sometimes it really good with nothing. Just depends on how the rub stays on IMHO.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    I chop all the bark up and mix it in with the pull. Taste it and see if it needs anything. Sometimes it will take sauce, sometimes a little apple cider and apple cider vinegar, sometimes it really good with nothing. Just depends on how the rub stays on IMHO.
    Have to wait and see then....got a bottle of bad byrons butt rub I haven't opened yet.Hope it isn't to spicy/salty for the wife and kids?

• I don't know. My family has always loved the pork. I normally  use the Elder Ward rub but have used Bad Byron's. It is really good on ribs BTW

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    My decision? Which do you prefer?

• I rarely add sauce.  I'll leave it plain and let those who are eating it decide how they want it.  I'll usually have a few different sauces available (hot, mild, vinegar based, etc...).

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• let the Pork speak for it self you spent all this time smoking it for what to drown it in sauce me I would serve it up like it is  with sauce on the side 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Bbbr
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @CANMAN1976 - I was expecting some not so flattering pictures based on the tread title...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Eeeeewww! Now that's what I expected... not what I wanted to see but what I expected....  Carry on.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • CANMAN1976
    Oh s@@t guess I don't know how to post a pic?

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I like to trim the fat cap to 1/4-1/8". Fat cap up if I'm going indirect, fat cap down if not. In the egg I usually end up fat cap up. Fat cap down works better in a cooker where the fire is further away (like my drum smokers). Basically, you want a shield between the meat and fire, whether its a diffuser of some sort or the fat cap. I don't sauce the pulled meat, but serve it at the table. 

I would plan on being done early, since you can FTC for anywhere from 1 hour to several. Regarding IT, 200°F ish is usually good, but you know its done, when it probes like buttah.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    My vote is for Bad Byrons.   Definitely not too spicy (surprising I know).  My young niece is very picky eater and loves the bark with Byrons...
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I vote Bad Byron's. I trim the cap and do that side down... This time going 250ish for a few hours then bumping it up to finish. Also scored the butt this time as well...