Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well I overcooked the turkey :(

Options
I put the turkey on this morning at 7 and just checked it wow this thing cooked faster than expected. I have a 20# bird and it cooked at 350 in 5.5 hours and internal temp was up to 180 for the breast and 200 for the legs. Plus we are not eating until 1:30 to 2. CRAP!!!

Did I screw it up or will it still be moist and yummy???

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    It will be great!!! Should sit well for 1 to 2 hours
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I think you will be surprised at how moist it will be considering...
    Brandon, MS
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Ftc! ?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    It should still be GREAT!  And think, least it will have time to rest!

Even if is not the best you have ever had, be thankful that you have a bird (and an egg to put in) - many people do/will not have today.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm sure it'll be better than you expect. Just load up on gravy and carve thin slices! Sounds like a brisket remedy now.
    Dunedin, FL
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Had much the same issue - put 11 pounder on at 8:00 thinking that based on the comments on here that it would take 3 - 4 hours at 350 - had trouble getting the temp stabilized and mostly it cooked around 300 - went to do some errands and got back at 10:30 - checked it and the outside was black, wings burnt and that little plastic thing that pops out had been popped for a time based on the fact that it was black - took the bird off immediately and covered for an hour or so and then carved - amazingly, the meat was moist - I figured that it would be overcooked and dry but it wasn't.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Ok good I'm not the only one. Mine got to 175 in the breast 185 in one thight and 160 in the other I pulled it and it was fantastic
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Thanks for the updates..... Nice to know it works out regardless
    Seattle, WA
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    The second thing I cooked on our Egg a few years back was a turkey.  Didn't have a Thermapen or Maverick at the time.  When I figured it was done, the breast was already at 180°F.  It was juicy and tasted great.  The Egg saved me from what I was sure would be a disaster.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    I overcooked mine too. I had a 17 lb bird and let it go 3 hours before checking it with the thermapen. Well it cooked faster than I thought and was at 175 breast and 195 in the thigh/legs. It was still pretty moist. I guess a leave in thermometer is on the wishlist for me now. Bad thing about the thermapen is you know right a way when you have screwed up!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys you don't need a "leave in thermometer". I don't ever use one. Turkeys check at 60-70 & 80 min with a Thermapen. If you don't have one, get one for Christmas. If you can afford an Egg you can't afford not to have one.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I agree with @mickey I didn't touch my egg till 2hours into the cook and was at 155' and pulled the bird.
    I let my Father I Law do the honors a d he was amazed of how much juice was pouring from it. I had to get a towel and clean the floor afterwards.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I too was amazed at how fast our bird cooked.  A 15 pounder cooked in 1 hour 40 minutes. It was perfect, but done much earlier than we expected.  We FTC'd for 5 hours and it was great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I think the secret is a good gravy... A great gravy will cure almost any cooking gaffs
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Same issue. 14 lb turkey, at two hours and 30 minutes I checked. 165 Brest 180-190 leg. Pulled it, wrapped it in foil and a towel, put in an ice chest and carved 2 hours later. Still very hot and very juicy. I'm the only one that knows it was over cooked, the whole family loved it and thought it was juicy. The BGE gives plenty of wiggle room when it comes to overlooking a bird
    XL BGE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    hapster said:

I think the secret is a good gravy... A great gravy will cure almost any cooking gaffs

Yep gravy, taters and stuffing the turkey is just a part of the pie.

Seattle, WA
  • matthethamm
    Options
    Well, tried the Mad Max Turkey.  It turned out good, but to be quite honest, I have had better turkey.  Maybe I needed more smoke?  Will try again.

Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I cooked my first turkey. It was a 12 pounder and I spatchcocked It at 375-400 raised indirect with 2 small handfuls of pecan chips and 3 chunks of apple wood. I seasoned the outside with creole and pepper then brushed it with melted butter when I put it on the grill. I brushed it with butter again after 45 minutes. It took right at 80-85 minutes and the breast was 163 and the thighs 180. I'm forty years old and I've never had a better turkey. I brined it for 24 hours then rinsed and dried it. Then let it rest uncovered in the fridge for 10 hours prior to cooking. Only thing I did wrong I guess was when i covered it with foil for 10 minutes after I pulled it off the grill. It had perfect crispy skin before I covered it but was soft after foiling. Still the tastiest and juiciest I've ever had. After doing it this way , I have no idea why anyone would cook a turkey the old fashioned way.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    If you want to remove most of the timing guess-work, go with @Mickey's spatchcock turkey cook.  They will cook in 75-90 mins regardless of size.  If you want the full bird presentation then go with around 14 mins/# at 350*F+/-.  But get a thermo to monitor the cook whatever method you choose.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    That's why I use a Maverick to help me keep an eye on the meat temps.  Once it gets in the 160 degree range, I double check it with a Thermapen.  The Maverick and the Thermapen have been my best investments in the year and a half that I have been egging.   I'm not sure why people think it takes that long to cook a turkey at 350.  I did a 19 pounderat 325 last weekend that took just under 4 hours.  The 18 pounder that I did yesterday took about 3.5 hours.  Maybe the longer reported cooking times were due to stuffing in the turkey.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What's the final word?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    Well I have to admit it was better than I expected it to be. I had nothing but complements on the bird. I could still tell it was a little dry but I guess everyone is used to eating dry turkey and they did not seem to notice. O well there is always next year. Lol

I am still amazed at the knowledge and kindness on this fourm.

Thanks everyone.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone