Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart Woes

I always browse the meat section when shopping places even ole Walmart.

Today I found a 6.75 lbs prime rib roast usda choice for 32$ 5.78 a lbs.

It was open and looked kinda rough but nothing actually harmed. Going "out of date" today so I went and found someone that worked there and asked if they could do better on the price.

He flipped out and tried to take the roast from me. Telling me since the package was damaged he'd have to throw it away. I told him I was fine with that and wanted to buy it anyway. He was really adamantl about throwing the roast away but said he'd get the meat manager.

Mr. Lee came out and was super nice but proceeded to take the roast to a computer, scanned it, and said that was the best he could do or he'd have to throw it away.

We talked for awhile and he was as disgusted as I was with their policy. He throws hundreds of dollars of meat away every day.

It's sad how coorperate it is.

XLBGE 

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Don't blame them for throwing it out. What if you got sick. People do the most strangest things to stuff. I once brought a jar of moldy spaghetti sauce back to a grocery store and the manager said it was common for people to open and try the sauce with their fingers to see if they like it! They catch people all the time.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Once I was in line at Kroger to be served at the meat display case and a fancy dressed older woman who was probably named Mrs. Got Rocks asked the butcher to lift out the tray of raw filets. She then proceeded to pick up each one with her bare hands and turn it over to inspect it. She handled all 10 filets and then told the butcher she didn't like any of them! He smiled and put them back in the display case. I came unglued and said I would never buy meat from him again and I never have!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My butcher is really nice and really expensive... Publix meat cutter is a smart ass... Krogers meat is ok but sorry service. I asked for a brisket packer around 12 lbs and he brought out a flat. There is basically no good choices here. I hate Walmart's meat dept.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • My customer service was fine. I wasn't going to buy any meat there unless it was a steal.

I'm more or less disgusted at their wastefulness and ignorance.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Walmart HOES

Fixed it.
  • Gone

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If that was a was a Walmart babe her boobies would be on the ground.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    henapple said:
    If that was a was a Walmart babe her boobies would be on the ground.
    =))

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I agree that it's a wasteful policy, but i also understand that they have to have certain protocols in place to protect their customer's, protect themselves from liability, etc. such protocol's have to be simple so everyone can understand and implement them objectively. Simple being the key word.

Several years ago, we had some things from Costco left over after a party - a big jug of juice that we never used for making punch, and a large tub of frozen eclairs that we forgot to serve. I figured I would return them. Went to the returns desk, and the person processed my refund then promptly turned around and threw both items in the garbage. I had no idea that he would do that. I asked why, and he said that since the items were perishable and  had left the store, they had no idea of how they had been handled (the eclairs were still frozen, juice was still cold). I said I would take them back and forgo the refund, but they were already in the trash at that point. Now that I know, I don't return stuff like that anymore. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I bought a 8" shun kaji fusion several years ago and brought it back the next day because I decided I didn't like the feel. The lady at William Sonoma asked if I had used it and I told her just on vegetables. They let me return it but she said they had to return it to shun they could not resell it.
  • I don't know. I don't think I would want to eat any meat from Wal-Mart or similar place that the package was open. Hate to see the waste but I gotta say, I fully understand their rules. In today's litigious society, there are people that would buy that open meat and then claim they got sick.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I've actually bought some good meat from Walmart recently. My last brisket came from there. It was $1.65/pound for choice brisket. Tough to beat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • If they find a perishable product out of place (in a cart somewhere) and they dont know how long its been there they trash it. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Don't underestimate that their suppliers probably also credit them for some of the product that doesn't sell before it expires.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • I would rather become a vegatarian than buy meat from Wal-Mart!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Walmart meat = rejected shoe leather from China.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    There is nothing wrong with the meat purchased from Walmart. In fact, one of the best rib eyes in ever ate came from there.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • There is a documentary called "Dive." It's essentially about a bunch of dumpster divers that spend their evenings diving for food. They document it all and they eat like kings. Now, it throws out a bunch of stats that probably require some level of checking, but the amount of perfectly good food that is tossed as it is approaching expiration is appalling. I'm not fond of Wally World for not other reason that I worked there in college and <almost> considered the management track. Glad I didn't. It's a real meat grinder.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Lit
    WalMart briskets say excel brand right on the packaging. I bet if you check half of your butchers buy excel primals and then triple the price to cut a steak off it for you. I have personally seen excel brand used in a butcher and also saw a butcher take a frozen box of patak sausages that they sell for $2.49 a pound and put them in his case at $5.99.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

There is nothing wrong with the meat purchased from Walmart. In fact, one of the best rib eyes in ever ate came from there.

Ditto... Mine was a T-bone. They have some nice steaks @ my Walmart.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• My Uncle used to go around the back of the local grocery stores and "dive".  It was amazing what he salvaged from the dumpsters, a lot of bread, cheese and other things that were perfectly fine but had expired.  He was in the food industry for years so was well aware of food handling/expiration.  He would take the food he recovered to the local homeless shelters and food banks.  After a few years, they stopped accepting his donations due to health laws. So now the food stays in the dumpster and taken to the dump.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • @lit are you referencing Patak meats in Austell GA? That place is AWSOME. Their smoked meats are one of the main reasons I don't mind driving to GA to see my brother in law. We normal bring 40 to 50 lbs of keilbasa home with us to MD. Try their pastrami, it was great.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I think that for most, it's not the meat. It's Walmart itself.
  • Lit
    @firemanyz yes Patak in Austell. Great place.