Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I deep fry in an enameled dutch oven on the egg?

I just don't like doing it in the house because it makes a mess. I have an 8qt enameled DO, as long as I don't spill a bunch of oil it'll be fine right?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• I'm sure the DO will handle the heat not so sure the ceramic will come clean again but other wise you will be fine 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Hmmm, that is a recipe for an insurance commercial about how good AllStates coverage is man. Go down to a hardware store and get a single stand alone electric burner.  Much safer and you wont risk the enamel on your DO.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Mud Pig It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I guess I could just run an extension cord out to my egg table and stick the fry daddy out there.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have seen people fry in eggs at fests but they were using deep pots so there was room for error. I wouldn't do it.
  • No problem. Fry away.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mud Pig said:
    Hmmm, that is a recipe for an insurance commercial about how good AllStates coverage is man. Go down to a hardware store and get a single stand alone electric burner.  Much safer and you wont risk the enamel on your DO.
    Get an induction element. You will get to and recover to temps faster. No source of ignition if you do spill. I have fried on the egg but with a fire extinguisher and cover close at hand.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It will be fine as long as you are careful and don't overfill the pot. In fact, use the smallest amount of oil possible. I deep fry in my Le Creuset 5 qt on the egg but only fill it about 1/4 with oil. I put HDAF down on the PS and set the DO on top of that after stabilizing the egg AND LETTING THE FLAMES DIE OFF. The HDAF spreads out to catch splattering but still allows air to move up under it. Since the DO is directly on the PS, heat travels up into it via conduction so it works similar to a burner on the stove. The heat is harder to regulate until you get used to cooking with the dome up and regulating in-flow of air. The enamel cleans up fine, just like indoors since there is no creosote issues. I've only done fried chicken/chicken tenders. I would not deep fry something large. If you happen to get a flare up, just shut the dome and close down. A lot easier than smothering with towels/fire extinguisher inside...

I've also seen people deep fry in woks on the egg. They typically get a wok were the edges extend over the base of the grill.

I believe @fishlessman deep fry's things on the egg. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY: IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE, DON"T DO IT.
  • Please video the experience.   >:)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jls9595
    It will be fine as long as you are careful and don't overfill the pot. In fact, use the smallest amount of oil possible. I deep fry in my Le Creuset 5 qt on the egg but only fill it about 1/4 with oil. I put HDAF down on the PS and set the DO on top of that after stabilizing the egg AND LETTING THE FLAMES DIE OFF. The HDAF spreads out to catch splattering but still allows air to move up under it. Since the DO is directly on the PS, heat travels up into it via conduction so it works similar to a burner on the stove. The heat is harder to regulate until you get used to cooking with the dome up and regulating in-flow of air. The enamel cleans up fine, just like indoors since there is no creosote issues. I've only done fried chicken/chicken tenders. I would not deep fry something large. If you happen to get a flare up, just shut the dome and close down. A lot easier than smothering with towels/fire extinguisher inside...

I've also seen people deep fry in woks on the egg. They typically get a wok were the edges extend over the base of the grill.

I believe @fishlessman deep fry's things on the egg. 

HDAF=huge damn amount of foil? lol  my DO is very deep, I think it'll be fine.  I'll have my wife video just in case...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil. It's more piece of mind than anything for me.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited November 2013
    Be sure to have the appropriately sized fire extinguisher (or fire truck) standing by. :-)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

@Eggcelsior... I've never said that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Would cut down on dating too..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    @henapple, I know

No dragon blood in this dude!  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Be sure and set up the video recorder before you do.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I would never deep fry anything in my egg simply because of the oil spatter that would be all inside the egg, not to mention the nasty oil smell. I respect my eggs way more than that. Just go get a turkey fryer, cheap ones are $50 and you can fry about anything in it. Make sure to watch some youtube videos of the idiots that think water/ice and oil are a good mix.

Be safe

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jls9595
    can I deep fry a frozen turkey?image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just because you can do something doesnt mean you should. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2013
    Ive Deep fried in a wok on a mini, it can be done. A dutch oven gives u lots of room and little risk of spilling.
    Way nicer than frying and stinking up the indoors. No oil smell or spills on the egg after 5+ fry's.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I fry all the time in this. Yours much better. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I fry everything at 350.i think it would be too hard to maintain the temp without it getting too hot.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx