Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heritage Turkey - Advice/Recommendations welcome

I've been tasked with making the bird again this Thanksgiving.  (pro-tip: if you don't ever want to host Thanksgiving and/or be responsible for the bird, don't ever make turkey on the egg for anyone)

I've always had stellar results doing the basic Mad Max Turkey using regular store bought run-of-the-mill turkeys.

This year, I've decided to step it up a bit and have placed an order for a Heritage turkey.

I plan on doing an herb brine, but am unsure of any other steps that I should be taking that may be out of the norm.

Any advice/recommendations from my fellow eggheads would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Turkey Day.

BGE in the ATX

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You just stepped into my wheelhouse. Do Rulman's poultry brine for 24 hours. Rinse well and leave uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge.

Then, follow the mad max method for the cook. Use a little cherry wood for color. A little pecan for flavor, or apple if none available(just 1-2 chunks).

I get Narragansett turkeys(heritage) from a local farm and it is a million times better than the large breasted hybrids found at the grocer. I have done this the past 4 years and will never ever go back.
  • You just stepped into my wheelhouse. Do Rulman's poultry brine for 24 hours. Rinse well and leave uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge. Then, follow the mad max method for the cook. Use a little cherry wood for color. A little pecan for flavor, or apple if none available(just 1-2 chunks). I get Narragansett turkeys(heritage) from a local farm and it is a million times better than the large breasted hybrids found at the grocer. I have done this the past 4 years and will never ever go back.
    Thank you kindly sir.  I am definitely looking forward to trying this.
    BGE in the ATX
  • Thievery said:
    You just stepped into my wheelhouse. Do Rulman's poultry brine for 24 hours. Rinse well and leave uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge. Then, follow the mad max method for the cook. Use a little cherry wood for color. A little pecan for flavor, or apple if none available(just 1-2 chunks). I get Narragansett turkeys(heritage) from a local farm and it is a million times better than the large breasted hybrids found at the grocer. I have done this the past 4 years and will never ever go back.
    Thank you kindly sir.  I am definitely looking forward to trying this.
    You don't have to call @eggcelsior sir. He prefers Sahib, Master or Oracle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I prefer Kazaam