Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some lefotver pulled pork recipes - Must be Low Carb

In the freezer I noticed we have allot of leftover frozen pulled pork (shredded already).  I need recipes for making a meal out of it but it has to be low carb - meaning no BBQ sauce, no pizza, no burritos/enchiladas (Cant have the wrap).

Any ideas?  I do not like it plain reheated by itself - not the same as freshly cooked

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Mixed in a salad, Brunswick stew, omelets...
    Greensboro, NC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    You could definitely use it in chili

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2013
    Made this chili verde last night with left over pulled pork and some trimmings from pork ribs. Browned the raw pork, but just cubed up the pulled and added to the chili pot. Recipe makes over a gallon, so we are freezing most of it in quart size containers for other meals. We had it over some rice.
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    3 tablespoons green chile powder
    1 (19-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
    32 ounces canned tomatillos with their liquid
    1 (7-ounce) can hot salsa verde
    3 1/2 pounds pork sirloin, cubed
    Lard or oil, as needed, to brown
    2 cups finely minced onions
    1 1/2 tablespoons pressed fresh garlic
    2 pounds diced green chiles, fresh or frozen
    2 cups very finely minced mixed fresh green peppers
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    Directions
    In a small bowl, combine oregano, cumin, and chile powder. In a chili pot, combine enchilada sauce, tomatillos, and salsa verde. Press tomatillos against the side of the pot to crush. Add the oregano mixture to the liquids. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently.

Brown the meat in lard or oil in batches with onions and pressed garlic. Drain meat and add to chili pot. Add diced green chiles. Return pot to simmer.

After 2 hours, add half of finely minced green peppers. Add salt, as desired. Taste and adjust, adding additional minced peppers as desired. After 2 1/2 hours thicken or thin, as needed. After 2 3/4 hours, adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.

Just before serving, add lime juice and cilantro

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Pulled pork omelet is actually quite delicious.  I mix a vinegar based sauce with hot sauce to top it.  Vinegar based sauce has very little (if any) carbs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Billyray that sounds great but looks like allot of carbs adding everything up.  Those peppers add up quickly.

Pulled pork omelets?  Hmm

Garnerville, NY
  • whip up a quick simple buffalo sauce to instead of BBQ.  1part franks redhot to 3/4 part melted butter, goes great on pulled pork!
    Pentwater, MI
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    edited November 2013
    +1 for brunswick stew.  I've never used Pork for it, but I love to use left over pulled chicken.  I'm sure it would be good with pork too.  Great winter stew.
  • I do this over a plaintain patty which you can just take out.  But pulled pork with avocado (you can even smoke the avocado and add coarse salt + lime juice on top), melted cheese, salsa fresca and some micro greens with a mango vinaigrette.  Most of the time I add a fried or poached duck egg on top depending on my mood.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    I do this over a plaintain patty which you can just take out.  But pulled pork with avocado (you can even smoke the avocado and add coarse salt + lime juice on top), melted cheese, salsa fresca and some micro greens with a mango vinaigrette.  Most of the time I add a fried or poached duck egg on top depending on my mood.
    i like the idea of pulled pork with a runny egg on top, would make a great breakfast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    pulled pork stuffed poblanos or green peppers might work depending how low in carbs you want to go, you do get to subtract fiber from carbs for net carbs depending on which diet your on. maybe a simple stuffing with onion, chopped tomatoe for moisture,  jalepino, red pepperflakes and melt some cheddar on top, some crunchy raw red onion spinkled on top after baking
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    lower the carbs the better.

The stuffed peppers - do you heat up the pork first or stuff it frozen?  If you heat it up first how do you keep it moist?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman

robnybbq said:
    lower the carbs the better.

The stuffed peppers - do you heat up the pork first or stuff it frozen?  If you heat it up first how do you keep it moist?
    normally i would have rice in there but.....to many carbs. im thinking the diced toamtoes will help with moisture, maybe you could add some low sodium chicken stock to the thawed out pull, you could also start it covered in foil to keep it more moist and add the cheese later in the cook uncovered. you could also make them abt style with some cream cheese added and some bacon pieces on top, just make sure to use the origional cream cheese not the high carb low fat stuff
    fukahwee maine

• We go low carb. Our theory is you can use pulled pork anywhere browned ground beef is used. We're on a lettuce wrap kick lately.
    Flint, Michigan
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Pulled pork omelet sounds awesome!!!

I like making a good size garden salad and smothering in pulled pork and cheese, maybe a couple boiled eggs and then drown the whole thing with ranch dressing. Not sure how healthy it is but damn it's good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .