Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone and which peel

Is a stainless still pizza peel the way to go or a wooden one. Here is a metal one I found 
have not found a wooden one yet. http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Stainless-Folding-Hardwood-Handle/dp/B005G6TGZS/ref=pd_rhf_pe_s_cp_8_H86P?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R8N5V0XPWB5K93403WB

Also on the pizza stone,,,,do I need to get the medium stone from BGE or will any stones from amazon work
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2013

I feel the BGE pizza stones are top of the line, the high temp ceramics can endure the high temps that the Egg can give off.  Most open market pizza stones are made for your kitchen oven, the higher temps from the Egg can cause damage (crack).

I like the metal pizza peels, they seem to hold up better long term.  Wooden peels can crack and split. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2013
    I like my metal one to put my pizzas on and off, but cut and serve using my wooden peel. BTW that metal one you are looking at is only 10" wide - I'd keep looking! My metal and wooden are both 14" wide. Now if you plan to also bake cookies then you might look into the Super Peel with the canvas slider.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I use a wooden peel to put pizza on the pizza store and a metal one to remove it.  I have found that the raw dough sticks to the metal peel even if I use flour. Having 2 peels also allows my wife to make the next pizza while I cook the first one.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff said:
    I use a wooden peel to put pizza on the pizza store and a metal one to remove it.  I have found that the raw dough sticks to the metal peel even if I use flour. Having 2 peels also allows my wife to make the next pizza while I cook the first one.

Ahhhhh I see said the blind man ! Good idea to have both. Do I need a 14in. ones for the medium egg

Jefferson .GA.  
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    I'm too new to really comment but can share that I first got a metal peel 14". I now have a 16"X18" metal one. I usually make a 16" pizza and the 14" peel was too small. I use corn meal on the peel and on the pizza stone before I put the pizza on and nothing sticks. I guess I was just making the comment that you need to pick the right size peel for the size pizza you make. I agree having two is handy if making more than one pizza.
    Palm City, FL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    We have switched from corn meal to semolina since the semolina doesn't burn as much as the corn meal.

My wooden peel is 14 inches which just fits the BGE large pizza stone. My ,eta peel is 12 inches because that was the only size the store sold but since it is only used for removing a cooked pizza, it is fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052

I would suggest looking at the "Baking Steel" for the stone.  It serves as both a pizza stone or as a cast iron griddle plate for burgers or whatever.  It will last a liefetime.

For a peel, I found that a large cookie sheet from Bed Bath and Beyond works well.  It is large enough for a 17" pizza and one side does not have a lip, so the pizza can be easily moved off and on it. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• @RRP-you must iron the cloth to the Super Peel. Mine doesn't look THAT good!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get a pizza mesh and you don't need a peel. Build it on the mesh and cook it on the mesh. It even gives a little separation between the stone and crust so it cooks a little slower so you don't burn the crust trying to get the toppings to cook. Just my 2 cents. I have 2 peel and they just sit in the pantry behind the garbage can.
  • Lit said:
    Get a pizza mesh and you don't need a peel. Build it on the mesh and cook it on the mesh. It even gives a little separation between the stone and crust so it cooks a little slower so you don't burn the crust trying to get the toppings to cook. Just my 2 cents. I have 2 peel and they just sit in the pantry behind the garbage can.
    Where did you get the mesh?

Jefferson .GA.  
  • I use Panko bread crumbs.  Press into the bottom of the crust and flip,  on wooden peel. Build pizza, put directly on the plate setter at 600.  After 2 and 1/2 minutes the bottom will be nice and browned.

Slide the pizza on a pan . I put an unglazed tile (11 X 11 inches) onto the plate setter. Put the pan and pizza back on this tile.   This will let the top cook off and keep the bottom from burning.  Pizza will be done in 8 more minutes. Place on rack or wooden cutting board with a way for steam to get out
    from the bottom, crust will be crispy this way and not soggy.  Rest for a couple of minutes and then cut.
    Panko crumbs add flavor too where the corn meal I used to use just tasted, well like corn meal.

Sometimes I will put hot coals up on one edge of the grill rack right close to the crust under the plate setter on one spot to extra char the crust, be careful and don't over do it, may have to rotate it.