Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe Keeper

As I amass recipes from this great site, I need a dedicated recipe keeper just for the egg. I could not find an official one on the BGE site, so it looks like I'm making my own. Has anyone else been do this road? If so, I would love to know what you decided upon.

Comments

• What kind of computer do you have?  If a Mac, I highly recommend Mac Gourmet.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited November 2013
    I have a notebook for recipes on Evernote. It has worked very well for the last year or so. Recipes are searchable and accessible from my phone or from any computer through their website. You can make notes out of pictures and text. And it's free.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    I copy and paste  to "Notes" on Macbook and it appears in "Notes" on IPhone and IPad. It is searchable also.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Evernote is what I have used for the past few years.

http://evernote.com/
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    What kind of computer do you have?  If a Mac, I highly recommend Mac Gourmet.
    +1
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I too love Evernote. I've been using it for 1 year or so.
  • queued
    queued Posts: 50
    I use Paprika on my iPad and have like it a lot.
    Raleigh, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2013
    I'm old school when it comes to recipes - I prefer paper! Over the years I have amassed two large 3 ring binders where I keep mine in plastic page protectors which keep them clean, but allows me to pull out and write when I tweak recipes. Works for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    I also use the Paprika app, but with my iPhone. It is a slick and easy to use app, but I've gotten lazy and started just bookmarking websites with google chrome. It was taking too long to type a whole recipe with a tiny iPhone touchpad.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • caliking
    RRP said:
    I'm old school when it comes to recipes - I prefer paper! Over the years I have amassed two large 3 ring binders where I keep mine in plastic page protectors which keep them clean, but allows me to pull out and write when I tweak recipes. Works for me!
    I used to do that. The plastic sheet protectors worked well to keep pages clean, but the binders grew bigger and bigger and were a pain to keep organized. Plus some recipes need to be cross-indexed in more than one section/category. With Evernote, te entire collection can be searched easily, notes can be moved around, and its easy to make notes after or during a cook if something worked (or didn't work) that you want to remember for future reference. Plus, it can be accessed on my tablet, phone, home computer, work computer, or anywhere you have access to the interwebs. 

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Another vote for Evernote! It works great.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Evernote.

I have multiple Evernote folders for various types of recipes. Clip any page online and you have the photos, etc. All of my recipe folders are accessible to all my devices. I can bring my laptop into the kitchen, take my table outside by the grill, and take my phone to the grocery to buy the ingredients. No paper, no hassle. Evernote is free for the basic edition which is fine. I upgraded to the premium edition, but most people would be fine with the free one.
  • caliking
    . I upgraded to the premium edition, but most people would be fine with the free one.

What useful features do you like about the  premium version? I thought about upgrading since I use it and like it so much, but didn't know how much value it would add.

• queued
    queued Posts: 50
    Hoov said:
    I also use the Paprika app, but with my iPhone. It is a slick and easy to use app, but I've gotten lazy and started just bookmarking websites with google chrome. It was taking too long to type a whole recipe with a tiny iPhone touchpad.
    I use the Paprika browser to view the website and import it directly.  It does a really good job at that, and even downloads the nice picture for the recipe.
    Raleigh, NC
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I use a Mac, have an iPhone and iPad. I keep recipes in the "Pages" word processing app. Data is stored in the cloud so all my devices could get wiped out and I'd not lose my recipes. Simple to use and add pics. Always there when needed. I've tried dedicated recipe apps but never could find one I really liked.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited November 2013
    I like a piece of paper in my hand when I'm out on the patio making magic. But I do have a computer system, topics like RIBS and PIZZA with cut, pasted, and edited files from the two forum sites. ( A lot of them really need editing.) Some that look especially enticing I print out and file in a plastic file organizer box with dividers for different categories in it.

If I can't lay my hands on something at the moment, I go online, find the file, and print out another copy to get all greasy. I can always edit the online file to make tweaks and changes. I can cross-index by copying a recipe into another category and adding a number to the doc name.
    Judy in San Diego
  • I like a piece of paper in my hand when I'm out on the patio making magic.

I'm sure all of the computer programs allow for the recipe to be printed.  I usually will print a recipe before cooking it, especially if lots of ingredients are needed in the prep.  Also, as with Mac Gorumet, I like that it downloads the recipe file to my iPhone so I can look at it at the grocery store when shopping.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Google drive, on all my devices, shared with wife and friends. Updating recipe from phone is a snap.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking said:
    . I upgraded to the premium edition, but most people would be fine with the free one.

What useful features do you like about the  premium version? I thought about upgrading since I use it and like it so much, but didn't know how much value it would add.
    The only major feature that I like so far is the ability to capture large web pages, i.e. photo laden web pages. The free version of Evernote has a limit that would sometimes limit me. That is why I bought it in the first place but I have not had a chance to tinker further.
  • +1 for Evernote.  Mac Gourmet is very nice, but limited to one device.  It really depends on how you work.  For me, I like to be able to call up a recipe on my phone/ipad or desktop so Evernote works best for me.  But if you like to work off paper, give Mac gourmet a try.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • +1 for Evernote.  Mac Gourmet is very nice, but limited to one device.  It really depends on how you work.  For me, I like to be able to call up a recipe on my phone/ipad or desktop so Evernote works best for me.  But if you like to work off paper, give Mac gourmet a try.
    I may have misunderstood your note.  My Mac Gourmet recipe file downloads to my iPhone, and I use it when shopping for ingredients at the grocery store.  If I preferred to use an iPad, it would download to that also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I use The Recipe Box for iPad and iPhone.  Keep all recipes on the iPad (backed up on computer and cloud), and can easily send the recipes I use with the Egg onto my iPhone.  I can find most recipes on a site where they can be imported with one click including the photo.  Saves me from retyping or copy pasting like I used to do.  Although I really like this app and less paper clutter, my wife loves the stacks of paper located in 3 different locations.  To each their own. :)

imageimage