Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Places to eat in Pittsburgh

Options
A buddy and I are making our annual trip to a Lions road game and this year it puts us in the Steel City. Last year was in Nashville and we loved the BBQ and other places that were recommended to us. This year I am looking for the same advice/direction from you, my fellow lovers of good food. Certainly BBQ is always on the menu, however I am not sure how keen P town is on it, I also am a sea food addict. Thanks guys, and GO LIONS!

-KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    edited November 2013
    Options

Downtown Pittsburgh there is a bbq place, it's called Mr. Ribs. Right up from the Consol Energy on 5th. Smells good when I'm walking by after work. It's not an eat in place so not sure if that's what you are looking for. Looks like a dive but people say its real good. Owners is always friendly when walking by. Not sure of the hours.

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/mr-ribbs-Pittsburgh

Here is another place I heard was good. I never get bbq around pgh since I make it myself all the time.

I will trade you for some Detroit style pizza. I make my own but have no clue if I'm close since I never had a real deal Detroit square.

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/pittsburgh-barbecue-company-pittsburgh#query:bbq

This is my favorite pizza joint. Its probably about 30 minutes north of PGH. They have the Sicilian thick pizza.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I don't know any restaurants, just lending my support.

GO LIONS!!

Flint, Michigan
  • zosobao5150
    Options
    I've always wanted to try Primanti Brothers in the Strip District.  I think one of their sandwiches was even on man vs food.  Go Steelers!!!  BTW...I feel sorry for you having to watch that game with the Steelers in their yellow bee throwback uniforms.
    XL BGE
  • smokeyj
    Options
    You should pay a visit to Franco at Ceramic Grill Works while in town.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I've always wanted to try Primanti Brothers in the Strip District.  I think one of their sandwiches was even on man vs food.  Go Steelers!!!  BTW...I feel sorry for you having to watch that game with the Steelers in their yellow bee throwback uniforms.
    My buddy has been to Primanti, said it was "ok" but a must go to being that it was on either diners, drive ins, and dives, or man vs food.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    smokeyj said:

Downtown Pittsburgh there is a bbq place, it's called Mr. Ribs. Right up from the Consol Energy on 5th. Smells good when I'm walking by after work. It's not an eat in place so not sure if that's what you are looking for. Looks like a dive but people say its real good. Owners is always friendly when walking by. Not sure of the hours.

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/mr-ribbs-Pittsburgh

Here is another place I heard was good. I never get bbq around pgh since I make it myself all the time.

I will trade you for some Detroit style pizza. I make my own but have no clue if I'm close since I never had a real deal Detroit square.

This is my favorite pizza joint. Its probably about 30 minutes north of PGH. They have the Sicilian thick pizza.

I totally would bring you a pizza. We will be in town around 7pm, I am not sure if it would be as good (or better?) after a 5 hour car ride.

• smokeyj
    Options

Thanks for the offer on the pizza. Wish I would be around this evening. I am going to Cleveland Ohio next month and see they have Jets pizza. Can't wait to try it.

My second favorite team since I was a kid has been the Lions. Billy Sims and Barry Sanders were favorites.

Calvin Johnson is going to have a huge game.

Have fun.

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    smokeyj said:

You should pay a visit to Franco at Ceramic Grill Works while in town.

@michigan_jason

I'll have one of these waiting for you to take home. Lol
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • smokeyj
    Options

@ Franco. maybe you can paint him a silver and blue one.

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Prim anti Brothers for sure.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • smokeyj
    Options
    Prim anti Brothers for sure.
    If you like cole slaw on a sandwich. They didn't seem happy when I asked for no slaw on mine. I'm not a fan of Primanti Brothers. Seems Anti Pittsburgh.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    smokeyj said:

@ Franco. maybe you can paint him a silver and blue one.

As long as it "Honolulu Blue"
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    My favorite hamburger in the world is at Tessaro's American Bar and Hardwood Grill.  it is on Liberty Avenue an easy cab ride or drive from downtown.  Prime cuts ground and cooked on mesquite.  Worth it even if you had to walk there.  http://tessaros.com/   I guess their steaks and chops are excellent, but I can't get past the burger.

You can skip Primanti's IMHO.  The original location in the strip district has some local color, but they are now a chain, and the food is absolutely uninspired.  I ordered a Cheese steak, and the meat was a ground product that tasted like meatloaf.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The Church Brew Works is pretty cool. Good pierogies and beer. Remodeled Roman Catholic Church. The vats are up by the original organ.
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    +1 on Church Brew Works being a very cool place, and menu usually has interesting specials.  But it's 2 blocks to Tessaros and I'll take their burger over a Ruths Chris steak.  honestly! ^:)^

By the way, I lived in and near Pgh for 40 years, still have family there, know my way around!
    @michigan_jason, you gotta give a review wherever you go
    Rochester, NY
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    Options

Whenever we are in town we like to hit up Fatheads on the south side.  Great beer selection and the food (typical bar food) is real good too.  That is our casual spot.  For nicer dinners we like Lidia's (Lidia Bastiancich's place), Salt (progressive american, real talented chef, great cocktails), Cure (if you're in the mood for Charcuterie) and Notion (a more modernist cuisine/molecular gastronomy restaurant).  Burgatory is another spot I'd suggest.  The food scene in Pittsburgh has really improved over the past 5-10 years.  As for Primanti's, if you happen to be near one it is worth checking out as it is the iconic Pittsburgh restaurant but it's not worth going out of your way for in my opinion...it's good, don't get me wrong but it's not THAT good.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Look up PattyO in the other forum!  There's also a Primanti Bros at Grove City outlet mall if you're driving from the north and shopping there.
    canuckland
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    We got Mike & Tony's Gyros last night after 2343284 different bars. Let me tell you that it was the best Gyro I have eaten in my life. Primanti Bros was "ok" at best, but like someone else said, the steak was literally a patty and not that appealing. Plan to eat before we head home tomorrow and looking to get a burger from tessaros as mentioned above.

• smokeyj
    Options

Good choice with Mike and Tony's. That's my favorite gyro also.

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Did you do Tessaro's?
    Rochester, NY