Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old is this Small BGE?

Howdy fellow Eggers from CC, TX.

We recently got a Large BGE and we're hooked.  Yesterday I ran across a guy on craigslist needing to sell his Small BGE.  I bought it for $175, including the nest.  Here's the catch - the egg doesn't have the same dimple design, lower vent, handle and hinge assembly.  I don't have photos with me now (i'm at work), but it's definitely an older egg with "Big Green Egg" embossed in the top and most other components.  

The dimples aren't round.  They're smaller and uniformed in size.  The handle sort of swings from the metal band.  The hinge assembly resembles that of the XL, minus the spring in the back.  The bottom vent is black steel and the top vent only spins, doesn't swivel.  The inside fire grate is white and the fire box and ring ceramics inside say "Made in Mexico"... I think.  I looked for cracks, didn't see any and the egg is in excellent shape - almost new.  The inside is mostly white still.

Can anyone give me an idea the age of this egg, and if I should try to 'trade up' to a more modern one?  I'd like to  get a new replacement band/hinge and stainless vent for it (even though it may not need it - would it even fit?

thanks for all your help!
CC, TX
1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Based on a conversation with the Mothership this morning on a medium I was looking at (which sounds very similar) I would say 1995 to 1998 as the DOB.    The bands today should fit and for the medium they were approx $105 plus shipping.  Hope this helps and all disclaimers apply. :)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pics?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Pics are in...  So the question is, should I update it with SS bottom vent and new hinge, even though it's all in very good shape?  

CC, TX
  • The ash tool was originally used to lock and unlock that hinge mechanism. If the hinge functions well, leave it alone. That is the 2nd generation ceramic. The first was 2 piece top and bottom that was fused with a ceramic cement. The only piece you might replace is the fire grate. You said that one was white, which means it is likely ceramic. It will break with time and it would be nice to leave it original
  • The ash tool was originally used to lock and unlock that hinge mechanism. If the hinge functions well, leave it alone. That is the 2nd generation ceramic. The first was 2 piece top and bottom that was fused with a ceramic cement. The only piece you might replace is the fire grate. You said that one was white, which means it is likely ceramic. It will break with time and it would be nice to leave it original
    Interesting!  OK - The hinges seem to work fine, and hold the top up with no problem. Yes, the grate is white and in very good condition.  But I do plan to use this guy for searing steaks only - at very high temps, so you're prolly right.  Would a stainless vent upgrade allow more draft for higher temps?  or is that even necessary with the older vent like this one?
    CC, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice score!
    Unless you'll be cooking on a wood deck or other surface that could catch on fire if a piece of lump fell out of the lower vent, I wouldn't bother replacing it with the SS vent & mesh door. There's some nostalgia in the old hardware.
    Since you're planning on high heat, I'd think you'd get more benefit from a high-que stainless charcoal grate than replacing the lower vent.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I like that style ceramic, and it looks like its in terrific shape. Of course their are certain components that would be an upgrade, but I wouldn't change a thing.  It will sear steaks just fine the way it sits.   You def. got a great deal!
  • Thanks for talking me out of pouring more $$ into it.  You're all right - it doesn't need a thing and has it's own charm.  It hasn't even been cleaned yet!  I'm so happy our large has a little sister now. =)

CC, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sorry I can't help you out with the details on the Egg, but as an ex-CC resident just wanted to give you a shout out and welcome you aboard. I grew up in CC, even returned for a few years after college but now live in Dallas. Still get down there a few times a year to see the in-laws, though. We'll be in your neck of the woods for Christmas. Anyway, welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That egg is 15 plus years old. I was given the same small ny a coworker and when I brought it tons dealer they said they quit making the ceramic fire grate like 12 years ago and that was probably 4 years ago. Its in really good shape and I haven't had any issues with mine except I did change the band. The new band was worth it for sure.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Lit said:
    ...they said they quit making the ceramic fire grate like 12 years ago and that was probably 4 years ago...
    Here's a picture of my ceramic grates from my small and large for those who have never seen them. I replaced them with cast iron floor drain covers years ago before BGE switched to metal grates themselves.image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Yep, that's exactly what my small looks like.  I'm leaning on new bands/spring, but like what another said here, it has nostalgia.  =)  15+ years?  Wow.. I'm impressed a grill can look that good after 15 years.  What a great product!
    CC, TX
  • Now if I wanted to take the vent off, clean it up and repaint with high heat paint, should I be aware of how the screws come out or go back into that thing?  Will I risk stripping the ceramic, or is there a threaded nut in there?
    CC, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't paint it. I did that and even with the high heat paint the paint gets tacky when its that hot and its hard to slide it. You may be better just stripping it not sure what is under there but I gave up and bought the new vent.
  • Lit said:
    Don't paint it. I did that and even with the high heat paint the paint gets tacky when its that hot and its hard to slide it. You may be better just stripping it not sure what is under there but I gave up and bought the new vent.
    Very good to know.
    CC, TX
  • Thank you so much for pointing this out.  I seared a couple steaks on it last night, and noticed I was hunching over to look inside to work the steaks...  You're right, they won't extend.  I'll lube 'em up tonight and report back!  Thank You!
    CC, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Based off the nest, I would say late 90's or very early 2000's.  Up until 96-97 they still have the low next.  And by 04-05 they already had the second generation spring band (the short lived 1st gen had the lock lever.)  The DFMT came out in 2002'ish.  So, right around 13-15 yrs old, maybe?