Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will a 20lb turkey fit on a large if it is spatchcocked?

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I would like to do it but not sure if I have the space.  I am in charge of the turkey this year for my wife's family Thanksgiving so I'm under some pressure.  I want the juiciest best tasting turkey ever!  Was thinking of brining and injecting(no salt in injection).  I am open to suggestions but I have always heard spatchcocked is a great method and less cooking time, not sure a bird that large will fit though.  I know Mickey doesn't brine or inject but I figure it cant hurt right?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited November 2013
    19lb on my large

http://i.imgur.com/M4pZJ.jpg

i plan on doing a 20lb this year and dont expect any problems

ooops just noticed  you said spatchcocked.  that might be tight.
  • tonyled
    edited November 2013
  • 15 pounder from last year. If you have a duel rack set up you could always do 2 smaller turkeys.
    Edina, MN

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I did an 18 last year on an inverted v rack.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @mickey fit this on the mini...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • With a little time and lube anything can happen.

XLBGE 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    @henapple I don't doubt you haha.  I could do two 10lbers on different levels, how will that affect the cook?  May just forego the spatchcock and do it normal.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    henapple said:
    @mickey fit this on the mini…
    Man, she has some NICE breasts!
  • tonyled
    With a little time and lube anything can happen.
    my weekend motto!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    New2Q said:

henapple said:

@mickey fit this on the mini…

Man, she has some NICE breasts!

Helluva cavity... Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    One of my first cooks before I was accepted to the forum was a turkey with achiote based mixture under the skin.  That's a post I need to do for this forum, family recipe from SWMBO, its a life changing event.  Gravy is insane.

Anyway, I did it breast down on a V rack at 350 until done.  We make good turkey anywho - this sold SWMBO and her parents on BGE. 

I like to do chicken raised direct.  I don't think you could do that with turkey, it would need to be indirect.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @sumoconnell - you need to show us that cook! Sounds amazing!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I bet you could do it. It will cook down a bit as it goes. I like the much smaller birds (11/12 lbs) but hell, I would go for it spatchcocked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Two_Down
    Two_Down Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    Funny you should ask - this is a 21 lb'er that I managed to squeeze on just last weekend...

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited November 2013
    You can always spatchcock but cut it in half (halfcock?). I had to do that with my last big turkey since you can fit it in a little better or cook on different levels.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Two_Down - after pics?  Looks fantastic!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• This was the only picture I was able to find, and it wasn't even taken by me... I was off eating the missing part of this bird, I am sure.

For this bird, I injected/rubbed and let it sit overnight, then put on a paste of butter/herbs.  Unfortunately, this was harder to spread on than I imagined and ended up removing more rub than adding butter/herbs.  OH well, still one of the best turkeys I have ever had, and ready in just about 2 hours, raised direct at about 400dF.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Two_Down said:
    This was the only picture I was able to find, and it wasn't even taken by me... I was off eating the missing part of this bird, I am sure.

For this bird, I injected/rubbed and let it sit overnight, then put on a paste of butter/herbs.  Unfortunately, this was harder to spread on than I imagined and ended up removing more rub than adding butter/herbs.  OH well, still one of the best turkeys I have ever had, and ready in just about 2 hours, raised direct at about 400dF.

How much did this bird weigh?
    Brandon, MS
  • 21 lbs pre-cook weight, according to packaging.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    I was curious if presenting a spatchcock turkey was appropriate for thanksgiving.  I've been meaning to try one but just haven't had the time yet.  Do many of you cook your turkeys this way for the holiday??
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Mickey
    CGW1 said:
    I was curious if presenting a spatchcock turkey was appropriate for thanksgiving.  I've been meaning to try one but just haven't had the time yet.  Do many of you cook your turkeys this way for the holiday??
    Have done for the past 5 Thanksgivings and not one word from 7 to 23 people at dinner.3 years ago my wife wanted to  do her traditional bird in the oven alone side of the spatchcocked. No spatchcocked left and lots of other bird left(felt sorry for her).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CGW1
    Thanks Mickey....I wasn't sure if that method was holiday appropriate.  Glad to hear the family enjoys them.
  • I think a lot of it depends on your family/guests.  Some are more traditional than others and like to see things a certain way.  My family is usually pretty laid back and open to some experimenting.  But you can present spatchcocked birds fairly well, I think.  Don't let my picture fool you - this monster was just for me and my brother, so I didn't so much carve it as rip/tear as I went.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Mickey
    @Two_Down why not put the paste of butter/herbs under the skin?

• Honestly - laziness. The turkey had been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days and it was really nearing the end of its safe use life.  I have been pretty busy with work and when I finally got down to prep the bird it was around 10:30 at night.  Took an hour plus just to cook/cool the injection, and when it came time to put on the paste, I realized I didn't have any softened butter.  I figured no biggie, I would rub it and then apply the paste next day before cooking.  Cook time rolls around the next day and I was in a rush so I just slathered it on the outside.  Next time I will go under skin.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• CGW1
    @two_down, I have a mix of both traditional and laid back....maybe I'll do 2 birds and see what happens.

I like Mickey's question...why not apply the paste under the skin?
  • Mickey
    Two_Down isn't that always the way it works out. :!!

• CGW1
    LOL yep!!
  • Sure seems to be lately.  I got a prime brisket to throw on this weekend and dropped some money at the liquor store, so hopefully work doesn't foul up my plans.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Did a 20 lb turkey on my large last year...didn't spatch tho.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....